It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A representative of the USA Youth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Ummm...?
Well, I wouldn't say we are "so disllussional", as in more than anyone else. In fact, if I had to be so judgmental and defining, I would say the most delusional generation in the history of mankind would be the Baby Boomers. They had a real chance to change things and they decided to use drugs and turn themselves and their kids into consumers.

Also, enlightenment/wisdom is not restricted to or defined by age. I know plenty of young people who are far more wise than their adult counter parts. Actually, I believe as you grow older inside of this society you are more likely to become conformed, thus ignorant, and thus less wise.

Ps. Anttyk47: Thx for the video clip. I have to go rent that movie, I forgot how good it was!

edit on 26-10-2010 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

And speaking as a 26 year old adult of the USA, who is just now starting to learn this:

You're too young to know what you do and don't care about.

You'll learn more later.

I still am.

We all are.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by GetRadNZ
reply to post by catwhoknows

Disillusioned? I don't think we are disillusioned at all.
I think we are more 'awake' than any generation was before us in their youth days.
Can you elaborate more on this? Disillusioned about what?

Cheers
Brady

The generation that believes everything they read on a blogosphere is "more awake" than any other?

The generation that gave us kittens and 12 year olds trying to dunk on a 4ft rim on youtube...is "more awake"???

I think you should go see the movie Inception....you may think you're awake, but to the rest of us, you sure as hell seem to be dreaming

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I enjoy reading threads where the Op, is on the Journey of life, still trying to figure out who or what he or she is. Here is some good advice for you, what first comes to mind when you think you understand it all, is usually wrong. Unfortunately the conditioning of the others around you is neither wrong or right, it is what they think is important, what they are told has value, and if you look at things around you, it has its place. Now that you have taken leaps and bounds to be different you MUST learn how to balance your life so you can make a difference and not get muzzled by the realness of the illusion.

Good luck.

You'll be ok.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Well, all i can say is that at least you don't have this problem, like this person had. She really was under fire on this one. Look and you decide. www.youtube.com... welcome mate.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
OP, you are in a very, very slim percentage of "awakened" youth.

I cannot condone you dropping out of school, however. If anything, you should get as much education as you are able to if you have the means to do it. Go to a good school that you will be able to flourish at, where you can be more independent for college, and just suck up high school until then.

Anyone who is living under the delusion of "it can't be that bad".... wake up. In America, it is.

Go into any high school. The kids are drones. They haven't a clue about history, geology, current events, astronomy, or any curiosity to learn any of it. All they care about is fashion, parties, sex, and and fitting in with the right people. Period.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I don't know what "youth" you represent in America, but my sons both are in college, the youngest in honors, and all it took for me to convince them that they needed a higher education was to drill into them "Do what you want but America needs burger flippers and ditch diggers."

My oldest is majoring in business (God only knows why) and my youngest is majoring in mathematics (again, God only knows why). I would've preferred them to major in an engineering discipline like I am, but at least they're getting a higher education on their own initiative.

Good luck.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

How about to summarize what you didn't read,
I said that i was a brainwashed straight A student that believed that i needed to have good grades in school to be smart, and with that i needed to go to parties and get drunk till i black out and # random girls to have fun, and that i needed to be popular so i did football.

I'm glad your kids have a high education. Really good for them, but there might be a good chance one of them falls into this category.

What i'm learning without a school:
I'm teaching myself two different languages
I'm learning geography with very in depth research
I'm learning about the worlds political systems, as well as current world events/conflicts
I'm learning about America, as well as other major countires histories.

I'm doing this at my own pace, and since i pick the subjects i'm self modivated and i actually enjoy what i learn.
I'm also self disiplined enough to know that somethings i don't like i have to learn, but i do it at a time when i chose to so my modivation is high, and chances are i will remember it.

Please consider me a # up since i'm not like your children, i also posted that i consider myself one, a # up to society. Even though with no education i'm considering to be a possible PR career which is totally achievable without any sort of formal education (Certificate education i mean)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

you have a lot to learn man and i do mean a a lot

every generation that has come before has thought much as you have as i did when i was your age

but that's the thing that comes with age expeirence and out of that experience begets wisdom.

one day you will find yourself looking back and say to yourself if i only know what i do now then.

at your age i thought i knew it all i was the king of the world i was right about everything and anything and everyone

was just morons around me well it turns out i never could have been more wrong about everything

and in time your opinions will change with time.

to be blunt and it may sound mean your are no better or no worse than any generation that has existed.

and if you still feel this way when you reach your 20's and 30s then there is no hope in this country or its survival

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm going to post from a different perspective.

First of all,be glad that you see the superficiality of the world around you! That shows you have a spirit that has not been completely numbed from all the "white noise" in life!

Secondly,like you,I also quit school before the appointed time,but have never regretted it.(I actually left at 14,which wasn't against the law in Texas at the time!) I had that same feeling even then,struggling to see any meaning for anything,and drinking and drugging my way into oblivion to drown out those nagging voices that were telling me "Something isn't right!"

My point is,you do sound like one who is in search of wisdom,and already have the wisdom to realize you have been lied to. My question for you is,"Are you willing to explore to what depths those lies have been used against you,for what reason,and by whom?"

I'm not going to advocate that you join a church or anything like that,far from it! Stay away from institutionalized anything. Instead,if you get a hold of a decent Bible and ask God to come into your heart and show you what He wants you to know,if you have the faith only the side of a mustard seed,but you want to believe God is real and that there is a purpose to this life,...just ask Him!

Honestly,I accepted Christ into my life at 16,years ago,in the midst of alot of confusion and disillusionment and disappointment,but those truths I gained from studying the Scriptures have been the only thing that kept me grounded in life.

I'm not saying it made me a better person all the time. I had a few backslidden years in there when I ignored God and glorified the devil by my behavior,but have put that behind me,by His grace,once again.

You sound like a deep thinker,and if you're smart enough to see through the lies,you're smart enough to see "the bigger picture" through the word of God. The trouble is,it's so simple,many just step right over it and prefer to seek what the world has to offer. (You can see how that's working out for people,right?)

The truth is,we may be very near the "end of this age",but that doesn't bode well for any living thing on this planet,as God has set a time to reel it all in. Game over! He with the most souls wins! (That's not exactly true,as God wins in the end,no matter what. He is in control.) Satan is real,and knows he is destined for eternal hell and wants to destroy all of God's creations,from the earth itself to all those made in His image.

However,we don't need to have all the answers,but learn to trust in the One who does. There is hope if you know where to place it,and there are answers if you're not afraid to admit that the Bible may be the truth afterall,despite all the ridicule and disbelief. Where does that stem from anyway,why is the Bible and belief in God so marginalized these days? Think about it and you will see the biggest conspiracy of all time!

I hope you find the kind of understanding that goes beyond this world and that it gives you peace. I think the fact that seeing life as it is and that it makes you uneasy is a very good sign,and may very well be God's way of saying to you that it's time to look in a new direction for answers.

If you ever want to talk more,feel free to message me.

(I don't expect this post to be taken seriously by alot of you,but bear in mind,it is directed to the OP. This isn't a thread about whether God exists or not,blah,blah,blah,..This is a sincere response to someone who is trying to come to terms with what he sees in this life,and I respect his struggle. So,hopefully this won't degenerate into alot of off-topic bickering.)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Get Real

You've got a few options now:

Invent a new antigravity drive or IT technology. No diploma, no problem.

Go to work or be happy with a motorhomeless future.

Finish high school online.

Visit your local Army recruiter.

But do something- before its too late!!

Good luck, man. Life is what YOU make it.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I was pretty tired when I posted the first reply and obviously overlooked critical points in the OP.

You're right about good grades doesn't necessarily mean a person is smart. It just means they made good grades. I just tried to emphasize to them that many businesses don't look at how smart a person may be. They want that piece of paper stating that you earned a degree and then that may not be enough.

Everyone learns differently. If the school systems could be more diversified to where obviously brilliant students don't get bored, the schools systems would be garduating more students with higher GPAs and experience a much lower drop out rate. I hated school and now I regret that I didn't push myself harder.

You seem like a really bright person. I wish you all the luck in the world to succeed at whatever you choose to do in life.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Hi, I'm Anthony. I've currently got a 3.7 GPA I study hard and get good grades for it. I like to party on the weekend and get so drunk i cannot remember anything. An average year for me is very repetitive. I do the seasonal sports and go to school. If you asked me what happened on 9/11 i would say this: "Those terrorists did a horrible thing that day. It could have been the government but who cares? Its not patriotic to think that way" If i was asked if there are any Aliens on other planets i would say: "I study at night, not fantisize about something that i wouldn't understand anyways" If i was asked if i could change the world. I would answer: "I would lower the drinking age to 16."

Hello my name is Eryca,
I'm 18, and I started public school education for the very first time my senior year.
I had attended Catholic private school my entire educational life pretty much, and no I was no holy roller child. In fact close to none of the students who had gone to my school had been. But that's besides the point.

I can relate to this thread quite a lot. I was well known, guys wanted to be with me, I had friends, I went to parties and had good grades. On the outside many people would have also thought I was happy, But Inside i was dying. I really was, I didn't drop out however I wanted to I begged my mother to let me do independent studies but because of my history, being a "social butterfly" and all she wouldn't allow it.

the representation of a dumbwitted teenager you posted had been pretty accurate for the type of crowd I had been in. We got good grades because we all helped eachother, we were all pretty ignorant and you know what? If you were to ask one of us the 9/11 question the response would have been bull#ted into saying what you would expect us to say.

I came into realization with everything that was wrong and did things to be a better me, and when my friends notices this they just began to sort of fade off and I didn't care anymore.
The way you made it in our crowd of friends was
- If you could drive
-You had parents who were just as stupid and would allow a bunch of kids over for a party to ruin your house
-Could get alcohol
If you weren't able to do any of those you better be good looking or at least have nice boobs.

Teenage life will always be the same old story with just different characters. This is why I wanted to grow up so quickly I did not want to be your cliche of a teenager, but I was.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by noobgal

Hi, I'm Anthony. I've currently got a 3.7 GPA I study hard and get good grades for it. I like to party on the weekend and get so drunk i cannot remember anything. An average year for me is very repetitive. I do the seasonal sports and go to school. If you asked me what happened on 9/11 i would say this: "Those terrorists did a horrible thing that day. It could have been the government but who cares? Its not patriotic to think that way" If i was asked if there are any Aliens on other planets i would say: "I study at night, not fantisize about something that i wouldn't understand anyways" If i was asked if i could change the world. I would answer: "I would lower the drinking age to 16."

Hello my name is Eryca,
I'm 18, and I started public school education for the very first time my senior year.
I had attended Catholic private school my entire educational life pretty much, and no I was no holy roller child. In fact close to none of the students who had gone to my school had been. But that's besides the point.

I can relate to this thread quite a lot. I was well known, guys wanted to be with me, I had friends, I went to parties and had good grades. On the outside many people would have also thought I was happy, But Inside i was dying. I really was, I didn't drop out however I wanted to I begged my mother to let me do independent studies but because of my history, being a "social butterfly" and all she wouldn't allow it.

the representation of a dumbwitted teenager you posted had been pretty accurate for the type of crowd I had been in. We got good grades because we all helped eachother, we were all pretty ignorant and you know what? If you were to ask one of us the 9/11 question the response would have been bull#ted into saying what you would expect us to say.

I came into realization with everything that was wrong and did things to be a better me, and when my friends notices this they just began to sort of fade off and I didn't care anymore.
The way you made it in our crowd of friends was
- If you could drive
-You had parents who were just as stupid and would allow a bunch of kids over for a party to ruin your house
-Could get alcohol
If you weren't able to do any of those you better be good looking or at least have nice boobs.

Teenage life will always be the same old story with just different characters. This is why I wanted to grow up so quickly I did not want to be your cliche of a teenager, but I was.

Glad finally someone is on the same level with me. This is an old thread, but hey at least it still has some impact

You're absolutly right about your points.
Car
Alcohol
Throw party
Have nice boobs.

Damn you american highschool!
It's hard to see the hope of a country when you're living in the youth such as this one.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Hi, I read this thread because OP Anthony referred us over here from a Middle School thread. I'm about 45 years old.

I am struck by the power of the urge to reject everything that came over Anthony, and maybe also Eryca. Anthony dropped out of HS in his senior year, within one year of his diploma. Eryca got to age 18 in Catholic school and didn't get a diploma either but is finishing in public school.

Can't quite finish things. In this world, that's punished and not respected. If someone pays you to do a task, they generally strongly prefer 100% completion over 80%, sometimes (often) they ask for 120% or 150%. Is that all there is to life? Not for most of us, but it's the part that pays the bills for most.

I think both of you had it easy, now you've left that cushioned environment and have not yet adapted. Eryca had it right, the kids helped each other to get good grades. That's one way through, and it's a way that generally is rewarded in this world. Did you follow all the academic honor codes? I don't know and I don't care. That's not what I'm interested in. You succeeded in meeting the standards to move on, while you were doing things that way. It worked.

Then you decided to do it yourself in your way, both of you, and it didn't work. It required more guts, more ability to slog thru sheet, more ability to do stuff that was neither fun nor fulfilling but just ... required. And you couldn't do it.

As someone said above, maybe you can become a wealthy inventor(s) and tell the world to go to hell. Or you will find a wife or husband who will bring in the money to the house. Otherwise I don't know how you will support yourselves if you want to be independent but can only succeed at things you find fulfilling.

Choose: go the independent way or the popular way. You have had both available to you, but you've only shown success in the latter. Are you sure you want to leave it? Yet, you may not find it after high school anyway. There are those people who look on high school as their best days. That's why. After HS they reshuffle the deck and there are some new rules.

PS in case you think I'm an "establishment" guy, I've been sorting BS from truth since elementary school. I knew when they were lying or fibbing to me in school, sometimes I wasn't even sure they could believe such stuff, but I knew also how much reaction I could afford and knew how to give the expected answers on important tests. To me all that stuff they taught in school was theories, ways of looking at the world. It didn't mean I had to lose my own way, what I felt or discovered to be true.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by oniongrass
Hi, I read this thread because OP Anthony referred us over here from a Middle School thread. I'm about 45 years old.

I am struck by the power of the urge to reject everything that came over Anthony, and maybe also Eryca. Anthony dropped out of HS in his senior year, within one year of his diploma. Eryca got to age 18 in Catholic school and didn't get a diploma either but is finishing in public school.

Can't quite finish things. In this world, that's punished and not respected. If someone pays you to do a task, they generally strongly prefer 100% completion over 80%, sometimes (often) they ask for 120% or 150%. Is that all there is to life? Not for most of us, but it's the part that pays the bills for most.

I think both of you had it easy, now you've left that cushioned environment and have not yet adapted. Eryca had it right, the kids helped each other to get good grades. That's one way through, and it's a way that generally is rewarded in this world. Did you follow all the academic honor codes? I don't know and I don't care. That's not what I'm interested in. You succeeded in meeting the standards to move on, while you were doing things that way. It worked.

Then you decided to do it yourself in your way, both of you, and it didn't work. It required more guts, more ability to slog thru sheet, more ability to do stuff that was neither fun nor fulfilling but just ... required. And you couldn't do it.

As someone said above, maybe you can become a wealthy inventor(s) and tell the world to go to hell. Or you will find a wife or husband who will bring in the money to the house. Otherwise I don't know how you will support yourselves if you want to be independent but can only succeed at things you find fulfilling.

Choose: go the independent way or the popular way. You have had both available to you, but you've only shown success in the latter. Are you sure you want to leave it? Yet, you may not find it after high school anyway. There are those people who look on high school as their best days. That's why. After HS they reshuffle the deck and there are some new rules.

PS in case you think I'm an "establishment" guy, I've been sorting BS from truth since elementary school. I knew when they were lying or fibbing to me in school, sometimes I wasn't even sure they could believe such stuff, but I knew also how much reaction I could afford and knew how to give the expected answers on important tests. To me all that stuff they taught in school was theories, ways of looking at the world. It didn't mean I had to lose my own way, what I felt or discovered to be true.

My parent's are immigrants that came here from Russia and i grew up in new york with them both. They both had no education degree for the USA. My dad found an opportunity to become a real estate appraisal(licensed). My mom, she started with nothing and with a little bit of reading in books, she became a software engenieer and works for amazon creating programs that would just boggle your mind.

I mean i come from a family that can adapt. Sorry just because i dont go to school you think i'm doomed and will live with my parents because i "Had it easy"
Just to point out, i remember one day i woke up to a huge cockaroach looking down at me. Just imagine how i grew up in New York. Then tell me how i had it easy.

Although i do realize the benefits of being white in America is.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by oniongrass

I might have wrote that incorrectly, but I did not fail my first round of highschool. I just left private schooling after my junior year to start my senior year with people i hadnt known at a public school. I decided to leave my catholic school because I couldnt stand being with the people i had known so well and what i knew about them, and what they did I hadnt liked. I am aware of how good i have it, and how easy my life is. But just surrounding my life around people that made me feel terrible I just couldnt do it.

If my grammar seems a bit odd Blame it on my phone.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47
My parent's are immigrants that came here from Russia and i grew up in new york with them both. They both had no education degree for the USA. My dad found an opportunity to become a real estate appraisal(licensed). My mom, she started with nothing and with a little bit of reading in books, she became a software engenieer and works for amazon creating programs that would just boggle your mind.

I mean i come from a family that can adapt. Sorry just because i dont go to school you think i'm doomed and will live with my parents because i "Had it easy"
Just to point out, i remember one day i woke up to a huge cockaroach looking down at me. Just imagine how i grew up in New York. Then tell me how i had it easy.

Although i do realize the benefits of being white in America is.

I don't think you're doomed, otherwise I would not suggest what I see as weaknesses. You don't laugh at a cripple because he's crippled. You criticize something that can be fixed. By the way I was a software engineer (BSEE but ended up in software) for quite a while until I went back for PhD.

I don't agree about "white privilege", maybe your experience is different. I've seen some races get school admission and jobs by far easier standards because of their race, and that was never non-hispanic white.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by noobgal

I might have wrote that incorrectly, but I did not fail my first round of highschool. I just left private schooling after my junior year to start my senior year with people i hadnt known at a public school. I decided to leave my catholic school because I couldnt stand being with the people i had known so well and what i knew about them, and what they did I hadnt liked. I am aware of how good i have it, and how easy my life is. But just surrounding my life around people that made me feel terrible I just couldnt do it.

If my grammar seems a bit odd Blame it on my phone.

I never did things for social reasons, was never so socially connected, so it didn't really occur to me that you would change schools for one year for that reason. But if that works, at least you get a diploma. It might make interesting conversation with college admission officers -- they might like the independence it shows if you can convince them of what you did, and succeed reasonably well in a new school as a senior.

I do remember going to one party with the "in-group" at my church, in early high school years, and being so shocked I never went backs. Drugs, drinking, hell if that's what being "in" was about, I would have to be "out". I guess there were various in groups but I was in a lower order one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join