It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anything but ephemeral, the USO that stuck around for nearly 2 weeks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
In whch Venus and the swamp gas show up under water and their reflection lasts for 2 weeks, NATO forces have a mass panic and fire on them.

The Sognefjord, Norway USO - 1972.

There are some variances, depending on source, on the specific details of this encounter but the general facts surrounding the length of the sighting are all in agreement.

Whatever the specifics might be between November 12 and November 22; 1972 the Sognefjord saw an almost unprecedented level of military response to an unknown underwater object. Some reports say the object was spotted off the coast of Norway and when first tracked and then fired upon it retreated into the fjord. Other seem to suggest the object was first spotted whilst in the fjord. Be that as it may, for the next 10+ days the military did their utmost to force the vessel to the surface or, it would seem according to some accounts outright destroy the unknown visitor.

ufos.about.com...

www.ufoevidence.org...

www.uforesearchnetwork.proboards.com...

From about 4 minutes 50 seconds in.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

Firemoon.....

Thanks for sharing this interesting info.

The USO "happenings" certainly are a weird addendum to the "UFO" world.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon
Whatever the specifics might be between November 12 and November 22; 1972 the Sognefjord saw an almost unprecedented level of military response to an unknown underwater object. Some reports say the object was spotted off the coast of Norway and when first tracked and then fired upon it retreated into the fjord. Other seem to suggest the object was first spotted whilst in the fjord. Be that as it may, for the next 10+ days the military did their utmost to force the vessel to the surface or, it would seem according to some accounts outright destroy the unknown visitor.

This was during the cold war, and they were hunting for a submarine (thought to be Soviet), NOT an extraterrestrial craft filled with aliens...

I have translated a Norwegian newspaper article from 2009:

Soviet submarine got away

Declassified documents reveal mistake in the hunt for Soviet submarines in the Sognefjord for almost 40 years ago. Warsaw Pact countries in Eastern Europe stood against NATO countries in the west in a cold war where every move was closely followed by the other side. In this tense situation a periscope emerged out of the fjord at Vangsnes.

The declassified documents confirm that there was at least on foreign submarine in the fjord. In a few hectic days in November 1972 Norwegian and British military forces searched for foreign submarines in the world's deepest fjord. Sonar and depth charges were used to force the invaders to the surface.

On November 24th at 3:10 something happened that until now has not been known. Firda writes that the Norwegian vessel "KNM Sklinna" made contact with a submarine that was on his way out of the fjord between Gulen and Høyanger.Two Norwegian frigates further up the fjord were immediately notified of the contact, but for some reason they reacted too slow. At 09.00 also an Orion aircraft had contact with a submarine out at the fjord, according to the until now secret documents.

Not until around 11-12 did the frigate KNM Narvik arrive at the area, but found no submarine. Firda newspaper also writes that there still are classified documents from the time when foreign submarines were being hunted in the Norwegian fjords.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/20035dc99abf.jpg[/atsimg]
Norwegian naval vessels and British planes participated in the search that attracted international attention in 1972. (Photo: Erik Berglund)

The article in Norwegian:
www.aftenposten.no...
edit on 26/10/10 by ziggystar60 because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Yes, two days after the object vanished they tracked what was probably a Russian submarine. You point being? There were Russian subs appeared around the Shag Harbour incident.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Yes, two days after the object vanished they tracked what was probably a Russian submarine. You point being? There were Russian subs appeared around the Shag Harbour incident.

Ziggy's one of the good guys of ATS when she makes a post it's usually spot on. Bit like your good self.

If you read the 'UFOevidence' link in your OP, it seems very likely to have been a Soviet transgression. When I read it, I was reminded of the frequent incursions by Russian jets over UK airspace. We do it to them, they do it to us. It keeps everyone on their toes, tests technology of both sides and is great for 'live' training missions.

The 'Norwegian Rockets' history is enigmatic stuff. There are a wealth of reported sightings spanning decades. At first, I thought they must be Russian test rockets in the Cold War. Low trajectories seem to be thematic in the reports. Maybe some were Russian, but it doesn't explain the 100% accuracy of their landing in the fjords. At least one out of the reported scores would have hit land.

If they aren't *all* rockets then what are they? Scandinavians have a wicked sense of humour and could be hoaxing the reports out of satirical mischief. If they aren't all hoaxes or Russian test rockets, we're left with a phenomena that's very distinctive and unique to those parts of Northern Europe.

Regional uniqueness isn't new as the Green Fireballs of New Mexico attest.

I don't know if you enjoy UFO interviews. A Swedish guy called Clas Svahn goes into a lot of detail about the USOs and UFOs of Scandinavia. If you trust my opinion, the interview is a 9/10. You can get it...here (Clas Svahn @ Binnall of America).

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Thanx for that i shall give it a listen. Truth be told I'd be amazed if the Russians didn't send a sub into investigate given they would have had at least one on station off the Norwegian coast. They sent two to snoop around Shag Harbour as it was happening. When you look at the evidence they pounded this object and the locals claim they dropped depth charges in a, by the Fjord's standards, relatively shallow part. There are claims the depth charges blew several small civilian boats, literally, out of the water with their blasts. They also opened fire on an abject that surfaced that was not described as looking like any sort of Russian sub. I simply don;t see how chasing a Russian sub for 11 days and trying to sink it would not have been far more widely reported and, when the wall came down, cleared up. Furthermore, I'd be astonished to see a Russian sub Commander actually surface his sub in a NATO countries sovereign waters, whilst under attack, unless the sub was in some dire distress. In fact, I am willing to bet they were ordered to let the sub sink rather than ever give NATO the opportunity to parade a *captured* crew. There were numerous incidents in Scandinavia of Russian subs penetrating other country's sovereign waters. They didn't keep quiet about it when it happened, they would complain to the Russians very publically. I remember reading several stories of such incidents in the press during the 70s and 80s.

The we have the idea that. They cornered a Russian sub in a fjord tried to blast merry hell out it for several days then just went home with absolutely no evidence to support they had destroyed or damaged it. If that had happened heads would have rolled over the incident. There is not a chance that they *just gave up on it* and then let it slip away 2 days later whilst actually monitoring it. The evidence says, they called off the search after a craft was seen leaving the water upwards into the sky. You can bet the Russians were listening to every radio transmission and sent a sub into that fjord the moment the Navy flotilla had left, to have a good snoop round and see if they could find anything the NATO ships had not.

In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest this. That NATO contacted the Russians through diplomatic channels and asked was it one of their subs. They replied no and NATO told them . In that case we are going to blow it to kingdom come. to see if the Russians were bluffing. The Russians said be our guests and immediately dispatched a sub of their own to the fjord to check out what had them in a total flap.

So far, no Russian Naval personnel have come forward and even suggested it was one of their boats. ( Note; subs are the only Naval class referred to as boats all others are ships) There is absolutely no reason for them to keep quiet about what went on in this case. There are claims that locals saw a craft break the surface and take off shortly before the Navy called off the hunt.

Given that I postulate this. They don't speak English, so it doesn't count, look how long it took Shag Harbour to break the surface in any truly meaningful way and they actually speak English but hey Canadians, so that doesn't count either. Rendlesham would be a footnote if it wasn't for the fact it was American Personnel on an American base. OK, I'm exaggerating for effect but i think people can see what I am saying here. Had this incident happened off Cape Cod there would be a dozen documentaries about it and lord knows how many books. But it's lil ole Norway, my they are such "jolly pranksters". I bet you any money you like, if someone got off their arse and went to the Fjord and asked for witnesses to the event, this story is a whole lot more interesting than some cases that have achieved celebrity status.

One of the best USO/UFO sightings ever was during the Operation Mainbrace flap. Independent seabourne and and witnesses on land describing virtually the identical craft as the identical time. How many people have even heard of that one? Oh it was in Denmark, so that doesn't *count*. What's more it is know that the Navy's of at least 3 participating countries took both photographs and cine films of those crafts that buzzed that NATO exercise. Where are those photos and films?. I bet you any money you like there is a photographic and cine record of the November 72 incident. I also bet the chances of it ever being shown complete, in public, are virtually nil.
edit on 26-10-2010 by FireMoon because: spelling

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
If they aren't *all* rockets then what are they?

Separate cases but the story of the * mysterious aircraft flying over Scandinavia" in the late 20s and 1930s is as fascinating as the rocket tales. Whole series of aircraft flying through weather that, at the time, no aircraft could actually fly in.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Taken from ..... www.waterufo.net...

On the night of November 21, four witnesses sighted four "rockets" shooting up from the water at Hermansverk. The rockets were silent and resembled small red balls of light. On the afternoon of the next day, an antisubmarine missile was fired at the intruders. The water's depth at the site was only 25 meters, and the shock waves of the explosion were so powerful as to throw small boats onto land 10 kilometers away. Any conventional submarine would have been severely damaged and forced to surface; yet this vessel escaped apparently unscathed. At the same time other odd events were occurring. Aircraft experienced unexplained electronic problems. Yellow and green objects were seen flying along a mountainside. Navy vessels registered sonar contact with something in deep water. Surveillance aircraft encountered unidentified "helicopters" which executed breakneck maneuvers in fierce storms. This reference: IUR, January/February 1995 pp. 12-13 & 17

Rather good download of Norwegian sightings and photos... from here...

www.ufo.no... Ole Jonny Brænne who published the above account seems to be a pretty level headed person and good at spotting a fake..

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
very iteresting thread theres another u tube vid i havent watched it yet, an i wouldnt have a clue how to post it in here But hers the utube referance AMASSO.ORG USO ALIENS PT.2

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
found a great site on WATERUFO.NET it has every sighting ever recorded an all the info about each indervidual case on uderwater uso's
edit on 26-10-2010 by scott,aussie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Just saw the UFO Files episode discussing this case today, and so was looking for information on it. Very little, as it turns out. Your original post has three links, which all have essentially the same two short paragraphs regarding the case. I did some online searching, too, and only came up with the same.

I wonder what is meant by the object "exiting" the water, given that it soon re-submerged. Since this was evidently observed by Norwegians I wonder if there was any mistranslating -- say, "exited" for "surfaced", for example. The report also doesn't mention how far away the object was from the observers, so the fact that no sound was made doesn't necessarily mean much. Seems like if the object actually exited the water and was airborne for a bit, this would have been explicitly stated.

That said, I agree for the most part with your secondary post analyzing what was said to have transpired. Seems very odd that they would be dropping depth charges if they thought it was a Soviet sub, in that they wouldn't want to cause an international incident. And then the Norwegian Navy's just letting the whole thing drop after a couple of days also doesn't make sense, unless they were sure whatever it was, was long gone.

One would think there would be more published on this incident, i.e. in a book about cold war naval confrontations. I could imagine, however, that if it were a Soviet sub, that the incident could still remain secret to this day because of the diplomatic ramifications.

Clearly, it would seem, there was an USO there; however, what it was is another matter, i.e. Soviet sub or ET craft.

new topics

top topics

join