It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News editorial: WikiLeaks employees should be declared ‘enemy combatants’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NoHierarchy

I would rather see the entire staff of Faux Noise declared as enemy combatants for the way they brainwash people into doing dangerous things (as witnessed by recent actions by right-wing domestic terrorists).

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

nice try boys but one thing you are clearly leaving out is:

editorial is nothing but an opinion piece and nothing more and as such it is the opinion one one guy who works there there is not one other fox employee who has agree or echoed his thoughts.

last thought here people freedom of speech is king and to deny freedom of speech is nothing but fascist.

And somehow the mainstream media and Fox News are shining examples of freedom of speech??

C'mon now... if the media were truly open and reflective of a variety of viewpoints as well as true journalistic objectivity, then I wouldn't mind so much. But... there is LIMITED bandwidth for news, information, and propaganda of any stripe on our corporate media; and the fact that people like THIS get to spout off while far more intelligent/important people/views are marginalized and left out is just completely unjustifiable.

This guy has a right to his opinion... and I have a right to my opinion that he's a Fascist nincompoop.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

is the left any better? cnn,msnbc,cbs,abc, the internet the public school systems and hollywood all bastions of liberal propaganda.

man you have every right to have your opinions and so does that guy thats all i am saying.

if you dont like what people say exercise your freedom and turn the channel.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

is the left any better? cnn,msnbc,cbs,abc, the internet the public school systems and hollywood all bastions of liberal propaganda.

man you have every right to have your opinions and so does that guy thats all i am saying.

if you dont like what people say exercise your freedom and turn the channel.

To be honest? Yes. And there is a lot of media that's CALLED left but is really right or centrist.

There are certain elements that distinguish good journalism from bad journalism and everywhere above, below, and between. For instance... somebody like Rachael Maddow is a much more intelligent, thoughtful, rational, educated, and objective journalist than say O'Reilly or Beck. Sure they present different sides of the mainstream debate, however there are other categories with which we can discern the quality of our media, and Fox News gets poor grades in just about everything but conviction and hot news anchors in short skirts... which I must admit I kinda dig, even though it's chauvinist of me.
edit on 26-10-2010 by NoHierarchy because: typo

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

While I do have to tip my hat to your intimate personal knowledge of what fascism truly is, I have to say that I believe that this particular opinion piece was quite fascist in it's own right.

While I am not sure whether or not Wikileaks does more harm than good, I do think that they have brought forward some very compelling and interesting information and I don't think that qualifies them as enemy combatants. But it does show the mentality of this particular blogger.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Fox News employees should be declared an enemy of mankind,
considering they've done more damage to the collective sanity than any leak or whistle-blower.
edit on 26-10-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Assange is a megalomaniac with a bizarre agenda. There is no need to broadcast this stuff for the whole world to see. They could very easily present this information to the proper authority WITHOUT making a 3 ring media circus out of it. Wikileaks is currently suffering from a sever case of its own internal strife as the staffers begin to butt heads with Assange's distorted ego.

Our nation and the world is in enough turmoil as it is and these clowns insist on playing with fire. If these goons pulled these games during and after WWII they would have been SHOT!.

Enemy combatants or treasonous bastards. Call them what you will. They are simply products of our 24/7, reality based entertainment and vicarious experience culture. The world does not need to know everything especially our children who are continually caught up in this crap!!

Present the information to the proper bureau, encourage them to investigate and give them a chance to achieve justice before launching this !@#$ to the world. Just another reason for all of the hate and another step forward to a worldwide tipping point!!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
Not surprising.
I consider them heroes and very interesting.
Funny how folks think so differently.

Very interesting i'll give you...heroes? Please.

They're not enemy combatants either, though....I think Assange probably should be.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
That means they will want to put cameras into there homes, and perve at them night and day, and america tortures them with high tech weapons.

Fox loves the fact americans do this to people, and you lot actually watch that.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

is the left any better?

Yes, much better, not perfect mind you but unless you are filthy rich or own a corporation...

The left is much better for the common man.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
on what planet is exposing war crimes a bad thing, fox news just instigates drama, a little less kool-aid then MSNBC & CNN, but their agenda to incite drama, and just slightly touch the surface of real issues is all too clear

....tar and feathers are still available today right

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

nice try boys but one thing you are clearly leaving out is:

editorial is nothing but an opinion piece and nothing more and as such it is the opinion one one guy who works there there is not one other fox employee who has agree or echoed his thoughts.

last thought here people freedom of speech is king and to deny freedom of speech is nothing but fascist.

Yes, although his opinion is fascist and he does represent Fox news. Employees often sacked for opinions such as criticism Israeli's, yet somehow it's fine to label an Aussie a terrorist because the Pentagon could not cover up it's own war crimes.
edit on 26-10-2010 by john124 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I see they're already making the rounds to the media. Anyone remember this post:

From this thread:

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Xcathdra

You'll start hearing about it after this release when it is spoken of more in the news.
That's all I can say because that's all I've been told. I have a couple of friends who work for the state dept, it's not like this would be classified material. It's an internal debate about how to move forward after the dump. Call people, ask around. That's what I do when I want info I can't link on the internet.

These internal debates always make it public. At the end of it all, my guess is that Assange will wind up in a prison cell fairly soon.

Edit to add:

I'm not trying to interject anymore of a conspiracy. Nothing about this is a conspiracy. This is a natural reaction to perceived threats to national security.

Remember that the Pentagon and State Dept. are already looking to get a hold of this guy. Declaring him an Enemy of the State would allow resources to flow into his capture.
edit on 17-10-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

This debate has been going on at many levels of government since the first leak. There's a big push in Washington to declare Assange an enemy of the state. Don't worry folks, Fox won't be the only ones making this argument.
edit on 26-10-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel

is the left any better?

The left is much better for the common man.

Why did the Left allow DOD to create the NSPS personnel system to put Federal Employees under instead of the Federal Civil Service? These Americans in Federal Service working for DOD now can't hold DOD in check because they are under NSPS....and can be fired on the spot by Commanders and no longer have the power to stop a Commander/military member from breaking the law.

Also when Bill Clinton created the "Quadrennial Defense Review" his plan in it was to contract out Federal jobs as well to contractors......so DOD will have free roam to do as they please and not have Federal Civil Servants running around screaming "thats illegal!"

Bill Clinton and the Left turned DOD more Fascists and corrupt than you can possibly imagine.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Not sure why you are raising this point since no one here claimed the author of this opinion piece didn’t have the right to say what he did — what people are criticizing is the main argument and the suggestions put forward by the author. Your concern is unfounded in this instance.

In regards to the piece, I agree with the members who have expressed disgust towards the ideas presented in it. Let’s be clear about this, what the author of this opinion piece, Christian Whiton, is advocating for is the assassination of Julian Assange and other Wikileaks ‘officers,’ or how he puts it, “non-judicial actions against them.”

This kind of mentality and disrespect for the law, absolutely appalling, more so coming from a former State Department official, is a reflection of the policies and rationales that prevailed in the Bush administration that got us in the military, legal and foreign relations mess we find ourselves presently in.

I am yet to be convinced that Julian Assange has broken any laws by publishing the numerous leaks, but if he has, and the Department of Justice indicts him, where does Mr. Whiton get the moronic idea that Assange and other Wikileaks personnel can be considered “enemy combatants”? From the standpoint of someone who studies the law I can’t begin to describe how ignorant, absurd and legally unfounded it is.

I’m sure this will come as a shock to Mr. Whiton, and people like him, but just because the President labels someone an “enemy combatant” it doesn’t make it so, and certainly doesn’t give the President immunity to order “non-judicial action” against that person.

So the the only thing Mr. Whiton’s suggestions would accomplish would be, at the very least, further degrading the reputation and standing of the United States in the international community and, in case any “non-judicial action” be taken against Assange or anyone in Wikileaks, adding to the, now long, list of violations of domestic, international and human rights law, perpetrated with the stamp of approval of the President of the United States.

Of course it’s apparent to me that Mr. Whiton wrote this piece not so much because of what he considers an “illegal disclosure” by Wikileaks but he wrote it, primarily, based on political motives, namely with the objective of painting the Obama administration, and Democrats in general, as weak and soft on ‘terrorism’ that don’t take “national security” seriously.

Where was the outrage from Mr. Whiton when officials in the Bush administration disclosed the identity of a covert operative (Valerie Plame)? — a de facto violation of federal law.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

sorry for the off topic post i was about to go to bed and i got lazy my apologies.

the left right both cater to certain viewpoints thats what they all do in this country everyones ideas should have representation at least in my mind but to say one side is worse that the other is a fallacy.

in this country we have freedom of speech or we dont its just that simple but when comments are made like the ones in this thread is nothing but fascism the totaliarian control of all thought all ideals in this country.

reminds me of the nazi book burning a group of people didnt like what some of those books said so they burned them books are nothing but ideals given form much like the msm gives form to ideals of todays society.

it is becoming ever increasingly clear that the majority of people throw the word fascist around without truly knowing the meaning of the words.

case in point heres a comment made in this thread

Fox News employees should be declared an enemy of mankind,

much like hitler declared the jewish people an enemy of mankind

all ideals have the right to exist along side each other in this country without any one view point being shoved down yours or mine throats but when you openly try to take away any ideas to where there is only one school of thought remains is nothing but fascist much like the majority of comments made in this thread.

the editorial comments made by that guy will lead to nothing at least by his hands because he is in no physical position to make it so.

edit on 26-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I think the thing that has to be remembered here is exactly what WikiLeaks tries to be: This is a clearing-house for information, raw information.

It's a source and speaking from a media standpoint, a particularly amazing one. The information of course has to be cross-referenced and fact checked before it's good journalism, and that is the kind of thing Fox News Channel should be doing, rather than labeling the source as an enemy.

This reminds me of the conversations President Nixon had regarding the New York Times and Washington Post, just incredible.

If I could offer some free advice to FNC that they will never listen to, I'd tell them that shooting the messenger only serves to further push good deep sources from coming to you! If their first response is to label anyone whom has a message against the wars, the W. Bush Administration and Republicans as a terrorist, those sources are go elsewhere, and they will loose the exclusive.

Imagine if those that leaked the Downing Street Memos had been afraid to go to The Sunday Times (which is owned by FNC's parent corporation NewsCorp.) They would have gone to any number of other sources, and the story would be scooped by them instead.

This kind of editorializing, while fully legal speech is irresponsible to the company and I for one would suggest any source that has information of this kind to think twice before going to FNC with it.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by maluminse

Originally posted by justadood

Originally posted by Aim64C
Wikileaks kills more people than any shadow-government.

No, no i'm pretty sure bombs and guns dropped on civilian population centers have killed more people than wikileaks.

True.

Jutadood please tell me how many deaths wiki has caused. Wiki prevents deaths. Keeping governments honest is of the highest calling and equally as dangerous.

You are confused.

please re-read the thread. i did not argue that wikileaks kills people. you read the quote wrong.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

Originally posted by Aim64C
Wikileaks kills more people than any shadow-government.

No, no i'm pretty sure bombs and guns dropped on civilian population centers have killed more people than wikileaks.

*sigh* - It is the rash and brazen who believe the act of killing is the cause of killing.

Information is power - grotesque amounts of power. You fail to realize it because you are bombarded by it every waking second and have near instantaneous communications world-wide.

You are a spy. What is the thing you worry about most?

The ebil goburnment breaking in your door? Well, sure. What leads to that?

First, this evil government you are committing espionage against must know they have a leak. Generally speaking, if this government knows they have a leak in your department - someone has already abused the power of the information you have given them. Second, this government must then discover the identity of the informant (you).

Therefor - that is what you fear - that this government will figure out what you are doing.

You fear information - or the proliferation thereof.

You need to look no greater than World War II and Britain's struggle against Nazi Germany to see how powerful information is. Germany could have steam-rolled Britain - there was, quite literally, nothing more than a whim standing between Britain and occupation. It was the mere fact that the Germans neglected to properly compartmentalize and secure their projects and hierarchy from espionage efforts that allowed Brittan's intel network to control virtually everything the Nazi chain of command saw and heard. They made the Germans believe in everything from fake cities to imaginary armies and navies.

Then, in the Cold War - each major faction was so heavily involved in espionage wars to feel confident to undertake a major offensive. Sure - MAD had something to do with it, but it was a minor player - Each side was more than willing to make some rather major power-plays if the opportunity arose. The real power was held in the "spy wars" - no one was willing to make a move because of the fear of their chain of command being compromised by an informant working for the other side. Surprise and obscurity had been almost eliminated from the realm of possibility.

Where were the wars of the cold war? Under the surface of the ocean (where even the intel networks were not effective), and through proxies (where each side was free to invest resources without directly committing to an open war).

In many ways - the CIA and KGB (as well as similar agencies within other major powers) are responsible for preventing full-on war between NATO and the USSR. The sanctity of informants, their identity, and any information that could lead to their identity not only spared the lives of those informants - but the lives of an uncountable and unknowable number of people across the world.

What wikileaks does - albeit with good intent - is undermine this sanctimonious relationship between the informant and the handling agency. Some little acne-riddled E-2 still barely out of high school can compromise decades of work, existing and developing treaties, international relations, and almost anything else you can think of because he decides he's in a moral crisis.

It is a fair and honest assessment to say that most of the people involved in wikileaks don't have the slightest appreciation for the amount of power they actually have - much less the people who browse its archives.

That doesn't mean I think they should be hunted down - it's a rather futile effort in the long run. This is the age of information - I can walk out of a building with almost all of the personnel records of everyone in the armed forces stored in a device the size of a paperback book. I can transfer that information to any number of servers around the globe before anyone realizes what happened.

Places like wikileaks are going to exist as a function of society - just like every city is going to have its red-light district, its country-club district, etc. Blowing them up won't do anyone any good, nor will throwing them in prison.

Just remember how powerful information is. It is everything. Failure to respect it will always result in bad things happening.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join