It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Eyes Robots As Workforce

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
"Japan Eyes Robots As Workforce"

video report at:
www.cbsnews.com...

"Japanese researchers have developed a human-like robot to supplement the country's shrinking workforce."

The robot's designation is: HRP4.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I wonder, if this proves successful in Japan and a cost effective alternative to human labor.... What kind of effect robotic replacement of the workforce will have on western nations with high unemployment. No longer will we need to worry about the outsourcing of labor to cheap chinese labor...

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wisintel

I think it would eventually get to the point where nobody would have a job so nobody would have any money to buy anything that these robots make.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Instead of replacing the workforce with these, let's replace the gov't with them.

Simply program them to say:

"Read my lips: no new taxes" or "that gov't is best which governs least".

They won't need pension, benefits, or bribery.

Imagine....

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

This is great news. When robots take over...look out capitalists. A new monetary system will have to be installed and will probably be based on social needs of the population. This is why Capitalism has served it's purpose but is a dying idea if we are to evolve as a species. Good job Japan!

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus

I think it would eventually get to the point where nobody would have a job so nobody would have any money to buy anything that these robots make.

the only business left would be robots making parts to sell to companies to keep their robots running, other companies jump on board due to none profit in the product they were making before and they build robots to supply parts to the other robots in other companies to keep them running, before we know it the whole business industry is just about supplying parts for robots, which nobody will beable to afford to buy, apart from the companies buying and selling them to each other.

edit on 25-10-2010 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay

Instead of replacing the workforce with these, let's replace the gov't with them.

Simply program them to say:

"Read my lips: no new taxes" or "that gov't is best which governs least".

They won't need pension, benefits, or bribery.

Imagine....

Replacing government representatives with robots would be a waste of robot muscle. Human government should be replaced with a super-computer. I vote for "Colossus: The Forbin Project".

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I agree whole heartedly, what we need is a new economic system. Even taking robots like these out the equation, technology is quickly putting an end to many industries and jobs. I mean how many taxi drivers and truck drivers are going to be out of work world wide once google's self driving cars hit production. We really are going to a future where capatalism just won't work anymore.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

From the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy....

"Oh mighty Deep Thought give us the answer, the answer to life, the Universe and everything."

Deep Thought..
"WELL OK.......BUT YOU'RE NOT GOING TO LIKE IT!".........."THE ANSWER".."Yes"..."THE ANSWER TO LIFE, THE UNIVERSE AND EVERYTHING!".."Yes!"..."IS"..."Yes!!"..."IS 42!!!!!"

"42?!?!?......42?!?!?...We're gonna get lynched!!!!"

"Lets make something up instead"

Cosmic...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Edgar Casey predicted such a economy. The solution was that everyone simply got to chose their occupation that was a service to the community. All the material was provided to make that happen once we chose. And unfortunately for the Capitalists, all products were open source and anyone with skill could improve upon the product. Since all life sustaining things were provided by machines, nobody was more rich than another. Society valued the individuals contribution to society, where today they value the amount of money or possessions one has attained.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Honda has been working on Asimo for what now....20 years and that's what we are shown. The robot force will do to the market what it's always been doing since we manufacture them. The auto industry has been using automated robots for close to 25 years now and has been forcing more and more workers to the curb or unionize to protect their jobs and salary.

robots are inevitable, what we choose to do with them is however.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Replacing government representatives with robots would be a waste of robot muscle. Human government should be replaced with a super-computer. I vote for "Colossus: The Forbin Project".

Yeah, one word for that...."Skynet"...

No thanks...*hears the Terminator music kick up*

Eventually, if we get to the point of full robot labor, it would seem that humans would all be in managerial or research type roles. Probably getting to a kind of Star Trek ideal. Whatever happens, there must always be a human, manual way to "unplug" them.

Still though, it would seem that the adjustment period and resulting unemployment, etc. would be turbulent at BEST...disastrous as a WORST case scenario... Such an integration would have to REALLY be thought out well, and done over time, once a viable reality.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
And once the robots are capable of doing everything for us,what point is there in keeping us?.

I have a creeping feeling we won't be going on a perpetual vacation,unless adjustments are made.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The UK already has a large robot workforce.

You see them everywhere, they dress the same, they have the same attitudes, they have the same ambitions.

A few of them suffer from 'Humanoid Error', otherwise known as thinking for themselves. In the main however things run pretty smoothly and the robots go about their daily business without questioning their superiors.

top topics

join