Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Dresden Files (TV Show, not the books)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Did anyone watch this? (not enough, as it was cancelled some time ago), but I picked this up recently on DVD, after reading the books.

It's actually a pretty decent show (or was). Captures the flavor of the characters pretty well (except Murphy should be blonde)...

For those who don't know, it's about a wizard (Harry Dresden) who is a PI in Chicago, whose cases involve the supernatural. Kind of like Charmed meets Phillip Marlowe...was even produced by Nicholas Cage (yes, the actor).

Was kind of funny, not too long ago, my wife and I were watching The Gates, and saw this guy (the actor who plays Harry) on it, and thought he'd make a good Dresden (without realizing that's exactly who played him in the series)...

Would be neat if SciFi brought it back, but probably too much time has passed.

Anyhoo, if you're like me, and like collecting old, forgotten, but good shows, this is one to add to your list.
edit on 25-10-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

This some sort of Halloween prank?

Or art though using thy super moderator powers to edit a post and thereby rendering it empty until completion?

-m0r

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I watched it, but that was near 2 years ago.

Most decent shows get cancelled or end up being strop.

Rest assured however, you'll be able to see survivor or dancing with the stars, or some other crap as long as they make it.

Sadly...

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I loved the show. I had read one or two of Jim Butcher's Dresden short stories and was interested when I saw that it was being made a show. It became a favorite and I was disappointed when sci-fi canceled it. I remember that for a while there was a huge push from some of the fans to get it reinstated, but it never happened.

I loved the actors. They did a great job with their characters. Bob was probably my favorite out of all of them.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Nope, just accidentally hit enter before typing the text...amazing you saw it that fast...as I immediately edited it...

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

thats on Hulu.
Have you watched LEXX yet?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

I think I've seen an episode or two of it. Would have to look it up to remember it.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Definitely a good however short lived series, actually does the books some justice for a change. I've read all of the books except for Changes and I can safely say if they had gone one more season it would have had a good shot at getting more viewers, the story really develops as more of the characters come into play like Michael, Marcone, the Alphas and the White Council.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Ahh....I remember THIS from the show....one of the crew was some kind of "sex slave"....

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well if you like female nudity,
Lexx has some in some episodes.
The ladies arent too bad looking either.
BTW, I dont remember exactly which
episodes have the nudity.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

This actress was replaced in the second
season by Xenia Seeberg.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Doesn't have to be nudity...to be honest, a skimpy outfit is even better...

Getting back to the original topic though, I'm about halfway through the series, and the episodes keep getting better. (just saw the one with Warehouse 13's Mia as Bianca, the vampire....yum)....
There was even an episode that seemed loosely based on one of the books (Fool Moon, title of the episode was "Hair of the Dog"), about werewolves.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I loved the Dresdin Files. Like so many others said, it was a great and short lived series.

I did not know that Nick Cage was involved in that but now thinking about his movie "Sorcerer's Apprentice" and movies like "The Knowing" and "City of Angels", it's odd how he leans toward magic and alienish ideology. Are there any interviews about his personal beliefs on the subject or should we just infer via his movie characters?

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dreampsi

Nick Cage is big into comics, I know that much...so no surprise he gravitates towards these kinds of characters.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Just started watching the Dresden Files...
Its not bad, better than the description sounds....

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

If you're into books, as always, the books are even better...quite a lot of them too. I just finished the last one. I think there are about 12 books in the series...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I found the series first, and was ticked of when it was canceled.
It was done really well, and the differences between the books and series were fine.
The books are great, it's good to see a States side author with a good sense of humor and solid writing.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Some interesting trivia:

Murphy's name was changed from Karrin to Connie to avoid confusion with real-life Chicago police officer Karyn Murphy. Her character also has a daughter, Anna, who does not exist in the books.

I wondered about this while watching the episodes...(just as I wonder why he has a leather jacket, not a duster, a drumstick, not a wand, a hockey stick, not a staff, and a Jeep, not a VW Beetle)....

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I watched all of the Dresden Files...it was a good show, in a way it reminded me of Charmed.
Have you ever watched Warehouse 13 yet? Thats a cool show that claims that artifacts from
history have power to do things. Its also on SyFy.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Love Warehouse 13, haven't missed an episode (and of course, the gal should be familiar...).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join