It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Enhance Your AR Platform Rifle

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jplaysguitar

No an AR 15 is not an "assault" rifle.

It's only bears a resemblance to the military M16/M4. It does not function in the same manner internally. It is not a selective fire system, it cannot be "converted" to fire in burst or full auto mode. It has the same technology in it that a semi-auto hunting rifle does. The only difference is the cosmetics.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Anyone know how difficult it would be to convert my AR from a 5.45x39 to the standard 5.56x39? Would i just have to get a completely new upper assembly?

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
One other thing, and let me preface this by saying that im new to the "gun ownership" boat. I put some flip up sights on my AR, then when i went to sight it in I was shooting like 4 feet high. Turns out the rail on the gas block where i have my foresight is lower than the main rail on the gun. I got a riser but it was too high. Does anyone, that you know of, sell a "tall" foresight?

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
Anyone know how difficult it would be to convert my AR from a 5.45x39 to the standard 5.56x39? Would i just have to get a completely new upper assembly?

MOTF!

The standard caliber is 5.56x45

And yes you would have to get a new upper assembly to convert to another caliber and cartridge.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
One other thing, and let me preface this by saying that im new to the "gun ownership" boat. I put some flip up sights on my AR, then when i went to sight it in I was shooting like 4 feet high. Turns out the rail on the gas block where i have my foresight is lower than the main rail on the gun. I got a riser but it was too high. Does anyone, that you know of, sell a "tall" foresight?

MOTF!

I have one question

Please tell me the EXACT make and model of your AR15 rifle. I'll be able to answer your question better if I know what you're working with.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Its a Smith & Wesson M&P-15.

MOTF!

Side note. Would it be worth the trouble to buy another upper. Or should i just buy a new gun? Seems pointless to me to have 1.5 guns laying around.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Do you have a picture or can you dig up a picture of exactly what you have?

I want to answer your question about your sight arrangement but I need to know precisely what I'm looking at.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

It depends on what upper assembly you go for. There are many different manufacturers of 5.56mm uppers out there buying a new rifle isn't a bad idea. You can buy a brand new Bushmaster XM15 E2S for roughly 850. However, you can buy an upper assembly of a Bushmaster XM15 for half the price.

edit on 1-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

www.gunsamerica.com...

thats a link to the closest one i could find. Mine doesnt have the fixed foresight though. Instead it has a square block with rails on each side of it. i can take a pic when i get home but im at work at the moment.

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Does it have a top side rail?

If so I have a few ideas.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

No just the main rail on the top of the gun. The block at the front of the gun has side rails but they are about 3 inched in length and at the very front of the gun.

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I ordered a picatinny rail to go on the handguard but was worried to may be too loose to put a sight on it. I just like open sights on my peashooter i dont know why. but if all else fails ive got a BA reflex sight picked out.

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I mean does the gas block itself have a top rail? Or is it an optics only design like this one:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b76eac300be.jpg[/atsimg]

This is the model of Bushmaster I bought for my wife. It is an optics only model. Though there are after market railed hand guards with enough length for the installation of picatinny front sight posts.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Yes the gas block has a top rail. It is lower than the main rail. Im probably going to have to tak e a picture of it because im not too fluent on gun talk yet and i feel like a third grader trying to explain something to a college professor. LOL!

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

In that case I will wait for it and answer your question as soon as you post the pic. I am POSITIVE there is a solution to your problem.

What kind of flip up sights did you add?

Were they Magpul MBUS sights?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

They are the A.R.M.S #71L-F & #71L-R Flip-Up Sights

armsmounts.com...

Probably shoud have gone ahead and got something better. But im going to check them out. Wouldnt be learning if i wasnt making mistakes.

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Those are decent. I want to see your rifle because it may be a design issue with the rifle itself rather than an issue with the sights you purchased.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Ive got a picture of it on my phone. Is there any way you can inbox me your email and ill just email it to you?

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Ok. I got your e-mail and it is definitely a design flaw on the rifle itself.

There are two things you can do:

1. Go to your local gun shop(which ever has the most AR accessories) and have them replace the front gas block rail with something that will be level with the rail on the receiver and your sights should work perfectly. This may be(it could be cheap I'm really not sure) expensive but it's easier than doing it yourself.

2. Buy a decent red dot sight and sight it in using a laser boresighter at 100 yards.

The problem with this design is that it is meant to place optics rather than iron sights. The front rails are meant for tactical accessories like IR lasers for night vision targeting, flashlights and range finders. I'm sure this is probably not what you wanted to hear, and I hate to tell you that you have to go and spend more money, but it is what it is.

I hope this helps.
edit on 3-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Thank you very much. It was deffinately not good news for me lol, but i do not mind spending money on something that i want. Do you think a new rail on the handgrip would be too loose to have a sight on it?

MOTF!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join