It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Enhance Your AR Platform Rifle

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The reputation for the Colt M-16 failing in Vietnam was because when they ordered ammunition by the boatload, they ordered the wrong powder - a nasty, nasty burning powder that would gum up a Sherman tank. The Army on occasion, does some of the dumbest things possible, and this little mistake, especially in the winter of 1965, and early 1966 cost a lot of men's lives.

The M-16 never had a problem firing in rain, river water, or even flooded bunkers. They got the powder problem fixed quickly, and the M-16 was very reliable.

Most firefights in 'Nam were fairly up-close. As I stated, the reliability of the .223 round starting at 200 meters is a mixed bag. My longest drop was about 425 meters, a lucky running shot. While they WILL drop a man at a distance, it's partly a matter of lucky shot placement.

"Grunt" is "grunt," and a bullet of only 55-75 grains starts to run out of "grunt" pretty quickly. The upside is that within 200 meters, the literally "smack" an individual. You can hear it.

I've considered having my Colt taken down and having a Master gunsmith install a piston setup, but right now I have to have that Les Baer .308. THAT SOB is a shooter!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

Yes I forgot about the granular powder they used. It wasn't until the switched over to "stick" powder that the problem was fixed entirely.

Thanks for the refresher. Been a while since I looked over the m16 history in Vietnam.

Indeed. The 5.56mm rounds I use(typically 62gr M855) do, in fact, SMACK the crap out of a target.

edit on 14-4-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The .22 caliber is a favorite weapon for Mafia hitmen.

An ice pick is a splendid weapon for a woman. It is lighweight and really penetrates.

The Davy Crockett missile is only one kiloton.

The 'Metal Storm' series of weapons theoretically fires a million rounds per minute....but who can carry a million rounds on a battlefield?

It's a matter of how much ammunition a soldier can effectively carry.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
You know.. I'd really like to have an AR-15 but they are very complex weapons... That scares the crap out of me..

I mean seriously.. Look at that thing!! I thought my SKS had a lot of moving parts... I was soooooo mistaken..

Man I don't think I'd know wtf to do if the thing breaks!! I feel like I need to take a 101 course just to own one of these things....

Here's an SKS just to compare..

See how much simpler that is?
edit on 15-4-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
ok...first i'm a newbie...i bought a chinese norinco mak-90 sporter 7.62 x 39 back in the 90's when bubba was thinking of doing away with assault rifles. still haven't shot a round, but i've kept it jellied... am i sh*t out of luck if the the stuff hits the fan?...should i sell it and move into the modern world? i been reading these posts, and feel like you're way out of my league, but i can't get better without some sound advice. i've still got 40 rounds waterproof, and 60 rounds reg. ammo for it.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Yes, but you don't need to take it apart that far in order to service the weapon regularly.

All you need to do is pop the take down pin, pull out the bolt and carrier assembly and do your cleaning.

If you're meticulous like me, you'll pop the pins holding in the trigger assembly and clean that too. You only need to removed all that stuff if you're replacing hand guards, installing a new gas block or gas tube, or you're putting in a new barrel.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Well proj.. you should know from talking to me all this time that when it comes to guns I like to tinker, mod, tweak and twizzle...

All my rifles have been customized transforming them from "meh" to "ZOMG" (all within regulation and law mind you)... I don't even know where I'd start with this thing.. I know how a semi-automatic gas action works... but this thing is ridiculous!

I'm not saying I couldn't learn it... but I was all excited about my next purchase being an AR-15 and I'm now quite intimidated by them.. I can take my sks apart and put it back together (every pin, every screw, every spring) with my eyes closed.... These are more advanced yes... but... wow...
edit on 15-4-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

jiimmyx, that Norinco, unless I'm sorely mistaken, was one of the finer AK's ever made as the receiver was not stamped out, but was machined out of a solid block of steel. That SOB will still be clicking when the sun goes down.

You do as you wish, but I have a hard, fast rule.

I NEVER get rid of a good "working" weapon. May trade for another, but if it's a good shooter - and I already know yours is - then what's to benefit by getting rid of it?

The prime disadvantage of a non-US weapon in a SHTF scenario, is the ammo. For the next couple of decades, there will be a crapload of .223, .308, and .45ACP available.

Even if the military stopped using those rounds today, so much is on the market, so much will be made "surplus," and so much will be reloaded.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

True, but much of what you see there is not part of the weapon's action. You won't need to pop out every pin to get to the parts you need to service or replace with custom parts.

I assure you it's not at all very difficult.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The gas system has always been the greatest drawback to this firearm. HK has brought out a new system which counters this problem, it is the 416.
Sure a 5.56 will reach 600 yards but at that range it only has the energy of a .22 long rifle.
Give me a Fal or good bolt gun every time.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

You're doing fine, just clean it, get a bunch of ammo and practice. Learning reloading might be of benefit to you.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by redgreen

The HK 416's gas system is not really "new".

It's a short stroke gas piston system.

While the D.I. system may not be the most efficient out there.

It is among the best for recoil management and extremely simple
to replace in the event of failure. The same cannot be said for piston
driven gas systems.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

About your lubricant statement, I've found that Silver Bullet Gun Oil works wonders. In fact I have talked to a few M240 Machine Gunners that use it and they said they've fired thousands of rounds with that without a single hiccup. It does the same with my almost completly stock DPMS AR-15. Only work that has been done is a lighter trigger.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by THEuntouchable

I haven't tried that particular brand.

Teflon works extremely well for desert conditions.

For more wet and muddy environments I'd likely use
and oil based lubricant.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

If you would like I can put you in touch with the person that owns the company so you can buy some and test it. Just U2U me to let me know if you're interested.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by THEuntouchable

No need. I found a link to it:

www.silverbulletgunoil.net...

Thanks anyway.
edit on 8-5-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Great thread. Has a lot of info for noobs. I would recommend TW 25b lubricant from Mil-Comm. Best stuff on the market.

www.mil-comm.com...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
My mods have been a Accurizing Wedge.
AR-15 Gas Piston Conversion Kit.
Drop-in .22 LR conversion system.
M16 Bolt Carrier in stainless that i milled off just enough that it can not be used with a drop in sear kit.(makes for a heavier carrier but keeps the feds off my a**)
I also have a CAR upper with forward assist.

And am looking for upper in .45 acp

And i am building a long upper rail that will run from the carrying handle to in in front of the front sight and bolt down on both ends.
Then i can add a changeable front aperture
www.brownells.com...=125/Product/M1A_M14_APERTURE_FRONT_SIGHT
And a micrometer rear sight.
iowahighpower.com...
And still be able to mount a scope on the same rail. when i want.

edit on 16-5-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
wake up boys and girls this is the future

everything you ever needed and more
www.gunbroker.com...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
nice threde but im curious is an AR]assualt rifle?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join