It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: American Marine Taken Hostage in Iraq, Tape Shows Threats of Beheading

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Arab TV stations are reporting that a US Marine has been taken hostage by Islamic militant groups in Iraq. Al Jazeera has just broadcast a tape of him. The group known as "The Islamic Response Movement" have identified themselves on the tape. The US Marine Corps has confirmed that a Marine of Lebanese descent has been missing for a week in Iraq. On Wednesday, they confirmed his status as "captured."

Reuters

A brief video shot by amateur camera showed a blindfolded man dressed in Marine camouflage carrying a Marine Corps identity card that named him as Wassef Ali Hassoun. It also showed other official documents with his name.

The Al-Jazeera netork said the group claimed it infiltrated a U.S. Marine outpost, lured the man outside and abducted him. The station said the group demanded the release of all Iraqis "in occupation jails" or the man would be executed. It is unclear whether this statement of events is true.

Related News Stories:
D.C. News Source
WiredNews

[edit on 30-6-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I don't know.

"We won't negotiate" + "No-one left behind" = Delta Force?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

A brief video showed a blindfolded man dressed in camouflage carrying a Marine Corps identity card that named him as Wassef Ali Hassoun. It also showed other official documents with his name.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
i wonder if he had some kinda communications device on him

and the u.s. are locating him

a tracking implant on marines is a good idea
so if they get captured we know where they are?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
where is the video I want to see it cuz until now this story is fishy I mean they got close to a base without being detected then they lured a marine out then they capture him and no one notices this? also might this marine be a translator judging by the name that banshee provided?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
American policy in total is no one left behind and no negotiation, not just Delta Force..
Hey, if they pulled this off near a base, it says something about the US Marines, doesnt it.
But in the balance of probability, it was probably an ambush or something..
He might be a translator, or he could just well be a marine whose family emigrated to America? No point making decisions/speculating now

edit: If they are going to do what they did to Nick Berg to him, he'll be dead within 4 weeks. No doubt about it. It's also a symbol of escalation of the situation... Previously they wouldnt do this to US/UK soldiers because of the 'We'll hunt you down policy' similar to that used on KIA cops in America.. They are upping the ante

[edit on 27-6-2004 by browha]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Always remember that Al-Qaeda personnel have very very good false identification capabilities, it is a possibility that this is one of those fakes.

Let's hope so!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The silence from the Pentagon is deafening.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I am sure that if the Pentagon is about to speak on this, we can assume this is not a "fake".

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by browha
American policy in total is no one left behind and no negotiation, not just Delta Force..
[edit on 27-6-2004 by browha]

Sorry.. I was trying to be a bit clever the way I worded it.. my fault!

What I meant was I would expect a particularly determined effort to find/rescue him.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
if this story is authentic then the delta boys are already on the job I just hope they find him they should look to see how long after the marine went missing the video was posted it could help them determine how far the terrorists are from the scene of crime.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
My god, Are we going to be faced with this kind of news on a day by day basis?

The beheading of the week if you will?

I just do not get it.. terrorists who push their agenda or cause through bombings, hijackings, and suicide attacks.. But now following the strong global reaction to Nick Berg's beheading it would seem these "Terrorists" are driven to use this as one of their main tactics.

There does seem to be a very unusual feeling to all of this though I can't put it into words.. It all just seems very strange.

Again as in the other cases I hope this one has a good ending but I have come to expect the worst from these animals.

Thoughts and prayers with the victims and families that is the best we can do.

Gazz

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Aljazeera photo & link

english.aljazeera.net... 0900CE82BF.htm

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The ID card appears authentic. All we can do is wait for more info and hope the marines will be going in to save him.

TC

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
US marine Hassoun Ali.. Muslim American Marine?

If he is a muslim I think that would be very important given that these are "Islamic Terrorists" who have him.

Any word yet confiming anything from the pentagon?

Gazz

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Fox News is qouting senior military officials as saying the Marine is missing and "may have deserted his unit" as he has been absent from his unit for over a week.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I caught a bit of a news blurb on TV and the talking heads were speculating that this guy may have been "lured" by a rendevous with a woman. Sorry, I didn't catch their sources.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It totally makes sense, rogue CIA Ops loyal to the Bush Regime, take Amerian and U.S. allies hostage I.E. S. Korea, Turkey etc. Threaten to chop off their heads, they know full well that the administrations will not negotiate with so-called terrorists, they give 3 days and then chop chop. What follows, engenders more hatred towards Islam and continues to fuel the phoney WAR ON TERROR. And now a Marine what better way to distract people from the movie that's blowing the lid on 9-11! Get it!
They may be able to fool the sheeple but they aren't going to fool the People!

For you open minded non- linear types out there check this out. This may very well be enough proof that CIA is behind all this!
www.surfingtheapocalypse.net...

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Story from reuters about missing marine.

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The U.S. military said on Monday a Marine of Lebanese descent was missing in Iraq but a spokesman could not confirm he had been taken hostage.
www.reuters.com... 79

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
US marine Hassoun Ali.. Muslim American Marine?

It looks kind of suspicious to me. Now the ID looks very much authentic.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join