It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarcasm ?!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I did a search and didn't find anything on this, but maybe it's already been discussed.
I suggest that the mods choose a particular font and/or color of font to express sarcasm.
Often there is confusion and misunderstanding that follows a post that was meant to be sarcastic. With out the sarcasm being mentioned in the post (and sometimes when it is) there are a lot of wasted replies because the sarcasm was missed.
I feel this would avoid a lot of unnecessary posts and hurt feelings.
There, I said my piece! Now it's in the hands of the mods!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by xizd1

xizd1,

It can be confusing if somebody is being sarcastic but it isn't all that clear. We already have a way of indicating that you are using sarcasm and that is to close your statement with one of these:

or
or
or
but I believe the norm is

Here's an example:

"Hey xizd1, what a great thread!! Haven't seen a thread of such quality in a long time...
"

Peace

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Hey operation mindcrime, what a great reply!! Haven't seen a reply of such quality in a long time...

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I suggest taking it one step further and having all members understand XML formatting for their posts.

This way we can better catalogue threads and posts with extra data.

For example:

We could add a < Shocked> tag to indicate how shocked a poster is with a 1-100 grading curve.

We could add a < Thinking about food> tag which along with it's time stamp can let us have users indicate their preference (perhaps have an ever changing menu as voted for by members in a daily poll) and show us the dominant dietary practises of members.

Also an < Irrelevant> tag which completely blows posts which don't agree with yours out of the thread and if enough are accumulated by annoying members they can get kicked off the internet.

As well as every other tag which each individual member deems worthy of having.

Mods, of course, will forever misuse and abuse their position by just not doing it right and will have to run a gauntlet or something as voted for by the ever precise, efficient and above reproach membership of ATS.

-m0r

PS:

edit on 25/10/2010 by m0r1arty because: Seems these guise < + > remove letters from posts. Perhaps we need tags for them too.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

edit on 25-10-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Color-coding replies is going in the wrong direction.

It's like the internet equivalent to t a l k i n g r e a l l y s l ow to idiots.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Sarcasm stinks in my opinion and I share the aversion to it that I sense in the OP.

I think people should simply avoid being sarcastic. There's enough stress to deal with in coping with issues and confusion without the added burden of the lousy feeling you get from being on the receiving end of sarcasm. Especially when it dawns on you later, and you realize you've made a damn fool of yourself.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mary Rose
Especially when it dawns on you later, and you realize you've made a damn fool of yourself.

See that's why sarcasm is good (and natural), it's a social normaliser.

It keeps those who would make a fool of themselves mindful not to do so and allows for class jostling within those who apparent grasp the rules of that social dynamic.

Imagine, if you will, that the term UFO wasn't allowed to be used anymore as it alienates (pun intended) those who are new to the concept of mysterious aerial phenomena. Instead we had to make sure it said unidentified flying object.

And OVNI isn't allowed as it means the same thing but not in English (the language of choice for this board).

Now apply that across the whole site and you'll see that much of the language used here becomes obsolete.

We can't say Grey, ghost, vibration or any other such 'community language' as it's not accessible to people new here.

The whole site falls flat on it's back as what we try to discuss requires people knowing the in's and out's prior to posting. If not we will all lend a hand. But a hand from a cynic is very different than a hand from a believer.

Our community requires a polarity for it to work best and sarcasm is part of the lubricant to keep it all working.

It happens from both sides - remember it's sarcasm is all about the audience.

IT you are knee deep in with community members from the other side of the ATS pool you will need to be extra cautious as they will pat each other on the back and stroke egos reflective of their own.

Personally I try not to give a damn and put my point across regardless.

But if I receive scorn for doing so I'm well aware of it beforehand.

Chill, it's only a message board on the internet.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Sarcasm?

As if.

/sarcasm

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Sarcasm is probably the most dangerous from of talk on ATS and it is on the rise! I think your color-code idea is good, but could be improved on if the mods would agree to take it one step further by added a Sarcasm-number by each member's name.

Each time that member posts sarcasm, the number would raise.

After the number is high enough (say six or seven times the poster was sarcastic), the mods could report him to a Sarcasm-Officer (a new rank of mod, since mods are sometimes sarcastic and would need t be judged as well).

The Sarcasm-Officer would then remove the criminal's title/reputation and replace it with two huge blinking words that flash in the person's avatar.

"BIG JOKE"

From there, all the members who "couldn't recognize sarcasm if it bit them" would now benefit from the luxury of it being spoon-fed to them, and could rest assured that they would never fall victim to this evil sarcasm again.

I DO think "Big Joke" being displayed in color coded lights may help.

Blue= Kinda kidding sometimes.
Green= Full of crap half the time.
RED= Total clown!
Black= Terminated for sarcasm.

MM
edit on 25-10-2010 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Agreed but what of those who are too fly for their sarcasm to be fully found sarcastic by a court of law?

Should we persecute people becomes they could be perceived as being sarcastic but weren't actually trying to be?

I mean there are some members here who claim to be an alien from another world and also experts in particular fields (Let's imagine computing and DNA knowledge for a completely fabricated example).

These posters could be perceived as trying to be sarcastic with their wholesome knowledge and irrefutable stance and yet may perhaps just be deluded or trolling.

I say we introduce a white 'Big Joke' too which means that our best minds are unsure as to how potent (if at all) the intended sarcasm is meant to be.

Also I want a pink one if I ever learn good enough to do sarcastic and/or humorous.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Asking a British male not to use sarcasm is like asking him not to breath, it more or less constitutes the whole of our language. There already is a kind of sarcasm tag anyway as below

I really love your post and think you might be 100% correct

Next your going to be asking for an "Irony" tag

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
See that's why sarcasm is good (and natural), it's a social normaliser.

It keeps those who would make a fool of themselves mindful not to do so and allows for class jostling within those who apparent grasp the rules of that social dynamic.

You're saying that when a person who took a statement at its face value and responded to it accordingly in a sincere manner realizes that he/she has missed the sarcasm that had been intended that it is a lesson learned not to ever allow that to happen again because it's showing the world that he/she has no class?

Imagine, if you will, that the term UFO wasn't allowed to be used anymore as it alienates (pun intended) those who are new to the concept of mysterious aerial phenomena. Instead we had to make sure it said unidentified flying object.

And OVNI isn't allowed as it means the same thing but not in English (the language of choice for this board).

Now apply that across the whole site and you'll see that much of the language used here becomes obsolete.

We can't say Grey, ghost, vibration or any other such 'community language' as it's not accessible to people new here.

I don’t believe these language issues have anything to do with the issue of sarcasm.

Chill, it's only a message board on the internet.

That’s no excuse in my book. This message board on the internet is vital to solving the issues of our day in my opinion. I’m not on here for entertainment or seeing who I can impress with my debating skills. I’m on here to communicate and try to make a difference. Sarcasm is counterproductive.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

You bring many valid points and a few positive suggestions.

White and pink could surly be used as you say above...but it may get "muddy" with Sarcasm-Officers having to decide just who is being Sarcastic or not. Internal conflict could quickly grind the wheels of persecution to a halt.

I suggest that Sarcasm Officers become simple tools for one big entity who does ALL the judging and the officers become just instruments of his/her will. A SARCASM LORD of types.

Perhaps that is where "color code pink" could come in? The Sarcasm Lord could be PINK!

And with his/her pink mighty hand, he/she could cleanse this world of these filthy sarcastic ones who dare undermine the Sarcasm Lord's divine right to a world without mirth or jest.

Perhaps we could almost punish the younger members for laughing! I hate knowing so many children are free to laugh here...

MM

PS- ONLY YOU CAN STOP SARCASM!

edit on 25-10-2010 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

ONLY YOU CAN STOP SARCASM!

I kinda like it though...

edit on 25/10/10 by Chadwickus because: (reason classified)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Sir Chadwickus, you bring up a serious problem with the minds of most Sarcastic people.

They fail to see the error in their ways, and tend to think Sarcasm is harmless, acceptable...or worse...funny.

Sarcasm camps could help change these types.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Do me a favor and identify which of the posts on this thread are sarcastic and which are sincere.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

Mine are sarcastic...

I am turning myself in in hopes that the Sarcasm officers will recognize my willingness to be reprogramed, and that the Sarcasm Lord's mercy will befall me.

PS- If you need help in finding sarcasm, even cleverly hidden sarcasm, then you are at fault.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
PS- If you need help in finding sarcasm, even cleverly hidden sarcasm, then you are at fault.

Hmmm. Interesting that you use the word "fault." I've done something wrong.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

How do you let people know when you're not being sarcastic; you want to be taken seriously?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join