It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going Deaf, how do I learn to sign?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I know this probably sounds like an obvious question, but I have learned over the years that things that seem obvious are rarely that simple.

In a nutshell, I am going deaf. It is a progressive genetic disorder that has never been nailed down to a specific cause and cannot be corrected with hearing aids without further damaging my ears. Besides the aides themselves, even with insurance are expensive.

I have begun to truely accept the inevitable and am looking for the best route to master sign language. I only know a pitiful few signs. Much of the advice out there says to interact with the deaf community and study with videos then practice with real people. That sort of immersive learning makes sense, given that that is really how anyone should learn *any* language. Still, I am hoping the ATS community might be able to give practical advice, perhaps even some resources to help me along my way.

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I hope that many others can give you the info you need my friend. Keep us posted with your progress.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Learn American Sign Language

You might want to contact some of the better schools around your area too as often there are all kinds of classes you might not know about being offered for your community.

Try a forum for deaf people.

Maybe make a craigslist ad stating what you said here and put some tendrils out for making some hearing impaired friends?

I wish you luck.
edit on 24-10-2010 by Zoodie because: can't spell anymore

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zoodie
Learn American Sign Language

You might want to contact some of the better schools around your area too as often there are all kinds of classes you might not know about being offered for your community.

Try a forum for deaf people.

Maybe make a craigslist ad stating what you said here and put some tendrils out for making some hearing impaired friends?

I wish you luck.
edit on 24-10-2010 by Zoodie because: can't spell anymore

Thanks for these! I am sure I would have found them eventually, but this is kind of a challenging thing to go through, so I appreciate all the help.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
No problem at all, glad to be of help. When I mentioned the schools in your area- I meant even high schools offer community classes.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
hi im deaf. u can check out the local library to borrow books that can teach u sign language for free. there are internet that teach sign language. if u meet and hang out with deafies u will learn sign language quickly. u can try look for college to take class sign language. i wish u good luck!

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
just watch Signing Time Its a cool show, and it is not to hard to learn...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I am not being demeaning at all when I offer this, because I learneed a few signs myself this way.

Signing by the Baby Einstein videos. They teach how I learn...repetitively. And show a dozen different children doing it, so you can see it performed a dozen different ways.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by meteoritics

Ok, *clearing throat* um, thanks for the link. I really mean that.. it will help, but I will have to stop laughing long enough to learn the signs...lol

CX

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
reply to post by meteoritics

Ok, *clearing throat* um, thanks for the link. I really mean that.. it will help, but I will have to stop laughing long enough to learn the signs...lol

That was funny i must admit.

Thanks for posting this thread though, its something i wonder if i'll need in the future. I suffered bad learing loss after a mortar attack once, lost about 40% in one, 20% in the other, but it does seem to be gradualy getting worse.

Luckily the NHS here has good hearing aids, but mine so small i lost the thing lol. I tend to look carefully at peoples faces when i'm talking to them, i can't lip read but it helps.

Good luck with the learning, and remember rogerstigers.....You're a boyl!!!

CX.

new topics

top topics

join