It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone here speak Greek / Live in Greece?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Hi guys.

I've spent quite a few years on and off in Greece and it's always been close to my heart since the first time I set foot there.

So this year I went to Crete (To see a friend get married) and it finally cemented in my mind that I want to move there.
The trouble is that my Greek language knowledge is very limited, and I need to learn more (especially if I want to work there), I can just about get by order food, buy things, and have a few limited conversations but that's all.

Does anyone know of any good Greek courses (online or to buy) or can suggest any classes (In London UK) that are good, Or failing that just giving me some general advice about living / working in Greece.

I have just got the Rosetta Stone language software so I'm going to start following that, but any other suggestions would be great

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I do! Well my cousin does since it his computer.
Thank Romantic_Rebel and me later.
The Greek Alphabet
Learn Greek
Common Greek Phrases
He has many sites and I'm looking for more.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Just go for Rossetta Stone. Seems to work well. Haven't tried the Greek one in particular but I know other languages (French), you can actually retain the stuff.

Good luck.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImAnAlienOnMyOwnPlanet

I do! Well my cousin does since it his computer.
Thank Romantic_Rebel and me later.
The Greek Alphabet
Learn Greek
Common Greek Phrases
He has many sites and I'm looking for more.

Thank you!!

I know the alphabet and can more or less read things (although I don't know what most things mean when I read them:lol
but I still get confused by some of the letter combinations that change the pronunciation like M and Pi together makes a hard B.

The common Greek phrases page is about as much Greek as I can already speak..

The other site look interesting, will sign up for an account!

I like Rosetta stone too so far, I wonder how I will get on with it, I hope I can keep at it! The real problem is with having no one to converse with so it's hard to practice

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I am Greek ... let me know if you need any help with anything Hellenic.

edit on 24 Oct 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

My cousin says search online, download, and use Itunes university. He tells me he has numerous languages material he has downloaded while browsing. He needs to find the sites again.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I am greek
let me know if you need any help.
Also if your greek gets good enough, try to pretend your greek. Sounds bad but they'll treat you alot better over there if u do haha. There like that.
Good to hear you like it
haha

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by littlecloud

What do you think of the links I posted earlier?
Would they good for a beginner? I'm a noob!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I've already had a lot of positive experiences there just for trying to speak Greek at all. I think most English people that go just try shouting and pointing.

Theres so much I love about the culture. There seems to be a general feeling of family and community that doesn't happen in the UK, and a feeling of freedom and disregard for rules, much more so then in most of Europe. The food is amazing, the plant life is wonderful, the Raki and Ouzo is fantastic and the women all have sexy voices
Also I'm addicted to Tavli and no one can play it here.

I'm more attracted to rural bits though, I've been in Athens and Thesseloniki and it wasn't quite the same.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

good to hear! Ouzo is the god of alcohol haha i love that stuff

Yes the greek family culture is absolutely beautiful, its dying out in australia sadly enough though

My parents hated athens, they said it was like a circus. on the other hand though the islands are beautiful, patmos is very spiritual and once of the nicest islands and my grandfather was from there, he raves on about it all the time, i suggest you go there

Good luck!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ImAnAlienOnMyOwnPlanet

The alphabet is the most pain in the ass thing ever, im not sure if you would even want to bother :L
But the other pages on the other hand are really really good, expecially the phrases one

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Yeah! My cousin has tons and tons of language packs that I wish i could upload to ATS.
I'm looking for other websites to share with the OP.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Btw, there's an ATS member whose username I believe is: GEORGETHEGREEK
Last time I chatted with him I remember him telling me that he lives in Crete.
He doesn't come around a lot these days but you might want to fire off a U2U to him if you have questions specific to Crete.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Georgethegreek? bahahahhahaha thats so typical :L gotta love em

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I am Greek too. I stumbled upon the following site the other day which has online courses for a number of languages including Greek. I read through the pdf files for the Greek language course and I found the course well-constructed and more or less thorough...

FSI Language Courses

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander1111

Efharisto para poli

Oddly I was in a shop today and the girl serving on the till next to me had a thick accent which I immediately recognized as being from Crete. We spoke for a bit about it.

It was a bit strange as I have never met a single Cretan in London before, she had even been to the same village as me.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Παρακαλώ!

I love experiencing synchronistic events. Yours with the girl was definitely one. Perhaps, it won't be long before you find yourself living in Crete! I wish you good luck in any case!

edit on 25-10-2010 by Alexander1111 because: Orthography

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by littlecloud

good to hear! Ouzo is the god of alcohol haha i love that stuff

Yes the greek family culture is absolutely beautiful, its dying out in australia sadly enough though

My parents hated athens, they said it was like a circus. on the other hand though the islands are beautiful, patmos is very spiritual and once of the nicest islands and my grandfather was from there, he raves on about it all the time, i suggest you go there

Good luck!

Travelled to Zakynthos(sp?) once. Probably the best holiday I've had. Of course being a 16 year old and getting served for alcohol(at half the price as it is in Britain) might have had a little to do with it.

Great people and food. Only downside was the African immigrants walking into resteraunts and trying to sell you fake CDs while you ate
Then when you get back to the hotel, the CD doesn't work!

top topics

join