It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is incredible 'Slovenia elects its 1st black mayor'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Slovenia elected its first black mayor on Sunday, an immigrant from Africa known as the "Obama of Piran," the town where he lives.

In fact, Peter Bossman, a Ghana-born physician, could be the first black mayor elected anywhere in his region of Europe.

Bossman, who settled in this tiny Alpine nation in the 1970s to study medicine in what was then known as Yugoslavia, won a runoff election in the coastal town of Piran with 51.4 percent of votes, defeating Dr. Tomaz Gantar, the outgoing mayor.

The 54-year-old Bossman is a member of Slovenia's governing Social Democrats. He runs a private practice and was previously a member of the Piran City Council.

Following the vote, Bossman said he was "happy and proud."

This is incredible a very homogeneous nation and very small in the Balkans. I am quite surprised that they have elected a black man, not because I think they are racists but rather because there are few african foreigners in the nation and especially few whom rise to prominence.

This worlds culture is definitely changing for the better I just wonder if it has anything to do with the election of Barack Obama?
edit on 10/24/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Why do you say it is changing for the better? I judge people by their actions, not by their skin. I don't think that electing more black people is inherently good or bad.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Why do you say it is changing for the better? I judge people by their actions, not by their skin. I don't think that electing more black people is inherently good or bad.

Whether he is good or bad I am not sure of, quite obviously the people of his town believe he is good. I say it is change for the better because ordinarily whether or not he/she is good or bad wouldn't matter because they would think negative of the candidate because their skin color. Do I really have to explain this?? Jesus Christ.....

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

It just may show that racism isnt there as much as it use to be, thats the point in it being a good thing.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
reply to post by TKDRL

It just may show that racism isnt there as much as it use to be, thats the point in it being a good thing.

i agree, but i believe it is a two way street, i hope nobody neglects to notice any country who do not elect other cultures. i am just pointing it out, that it is not just the white mans responsibility to treat other cultures as equal, it is everybodies responsibility.

how do i say it without causing a heated debate, are enough white people elected in china or sudan for example.
lets start looking at it more universally rather than just who is elected in a mostly white country.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

I doubt comparing Slovenia to China or Sudan is very productive. How about to a country such as India or South Africa? There was a white woman who ran in SA for president. They just aren't to the point us in the West are at yet, they will make it one day but it probably won't be until mid-century.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Do you really care about whether white people get elected in China or Sudan?
second line.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmedleyBurlap

Do you really care about whether white people get elected in China or Sudan?
second line.

Its a big deal to us racially obsessed americans. Get used to it. Everyone in the world doesn't hate africans,hispanic people or arabs. Just the race-clowns in america do.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Guess someone behind their media, thought it was time for a little “bio-diversity” in the political arena?
Maybe he promised the starving free bananas, or something? As to get elected in that part of the world, is usually an achievement all by itself. But as a black person, he must be a very talented politician as unlike in e.g. the U.S; some 30-40% of the multi-ethick population don’t (almost) automatically vote for a minority candidate (in the belief only white people are evil) (although this belief is certainly popular among certain whites!).

But to face all those hurdles; it sounds like their black man, must be better than ours. Any way trade him? (Or would that be slavery!)
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the DL Misor! I would like to see how all this unfolds. I enjoy laughing at the comments posted by Tea Party members. I always said Patriotism is a menace to society.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Exactly, its like how south africa had to pick so many black players in there rugby team, which is absurd, when you should pick who is best.

But they do what they want.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

yes i do, it shows all races are accepting of one another, rather than it just showing whites are accepting of other races. i would hate to think it was just white countries that were practicing multi-cultural society's, or just white countries that were frowned upon for not being more diverse.

so yes i do care.

top topics

join