It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vine Of The Soul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Best documentary I have seen regarding Ayahuasca "The Plant Teacher" remember to keep the thread comments about the documentary, on the philosphy and metaphysics and stay away from any drug commentary so the thread doesn't get closed down, here is a synopsis of the 52 minute documentary.

Can a sacred plant from the Amazon heal our minds and spirits? For centuries, indigenous people of South America have used ayahuasca, a psychoactive plant medicine, to cure all manner of psycho-spiritual ills.

Today, thousands of Westerners, seeking healing and spiritual awakening, attend ayahuasca ceremonies around the world to drink the vision-inducing tea and experience dramatic transformations in their lives.

"Vine of the Soul” is a documentary that explores this brave new world, offering insights into the nature of faith, mystical experience and self-healing through a heightened state of consciousness.

Filmmaker Richard Meech follows key protagonists as they journey to Peru – and back home – capturing in verité style both the life-altering epiphanies and nights of terror encountered after drinking the sacred brew.

Is ayahuasca a doorway to direct knowledge of the divine or a path that leads to psychological trauma? Can it cure modern addictions to drugs and alcohol or is ayahuasca itself a possible substance of abuse? Some people call it a medicine, others a sacrament; the Amazonian shamans say it is simply a ‘plant teacher’ that tells you what you need to know.

Throughout the film, in-depth interviews with Peruvian and Canadian shamans, ethnobotanist Dennis McKenna, addiction expert Dr. Gabor Maté and scholar Kenneth Tupper speak to the increasing use of ayahuasca outside the Amazon and the potential benefits for Western medicine, personal spiritual growth and a new understanding of nature.

Featuring Guillermo Arévalo, Metsa Niwue and Ronin Niwe. Shot on location at Espíritu de Anaconda near Iquitos, Peru and at other locations in North America.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 24-10-2010 by phiktion because: missing link

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Wow - I can't believe no one chimed in here! Well, I am aware of the medicine and was just doing a search on Shamanic Retreats (which yielded no results) so I just went right for ayahuasca.

I am going to watch the film but I was looking for feedback on retreats in Peru, Colombia, Brazil. Found one in Colombia and am coordinating an outing there later this year.

Have you been?

Actually, the film was taken down - copyright infringement. Oh, well.
edit on 9-1-2011 by capod2t because: addition

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well, I'll be honest here..

I've yet to try the actual VofT. Just the western version. And I'd say.. it truly is a medicine. It may not sound as intriguing as it could. But it's the truth. It continues to work on your body, way after the actual experience. It cleans your body, physically and mentally.

It can have an incredible effect, IRL. Some people (i don't know) have come to me (after a "treatment") and saying: "you're just oozing positive vibes". No joke. It does have some similarities to psilocybin maybe, but this is the real deal. A lot of suprestition, your beliefs.. just go out of the window.

Nature.. it's all about nature. But, as I said (and some shamans did too), in the end, it's a medicine. It's magical, and cannot be put into words.

edit on 9/1/2011 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I just purchased the film online.

The group who sponsors the retreat I am booking always refers to it as the "plant Medicine."

Can't wait...

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I've read about it a lot. A website, realitysandwich.com, has a bunch of articles about it too. I'm planning on taking a retreat in the near future. Right now I've got too many things to handle, mainly school and my fear of flying. Maybe when I turn 20 I'll go.

When you're done don't forget to come back and share your experience!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Throwback

Sure will. and I'll review the film, too, which I should have in a couple weeks (coming via Canada post).

In the meantime, check out the GROUP I've decided to go with.

Shooting for September if interested.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

Good choice, I've heard nothing but good about them. I, on the other hand, was completely happy that I did this alone. I have subconsciously developed a kind of a ritual of my own; midnight, a certain CD, bed, sometimes a bucket, but usually the toilet. I usually go for beautiful, clear midsummer nights and I use the music as a sort of a modern icaro.

The experience can be extremely real and powerful. You may tremble, shake like a rag doll when the spirit pushes through you. It is wild. It also has a deep connection to nature, or rather the whole cosmos. Our planet is, after all, a part of it.

There's absolutely nothing that can prepare you for the, so just do it
You'll see that there's nothing to be afraid of. Quite the opposite.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Tryptych

It sounds like you have this down pretty good and, what's important is, it's working for you.

If you decide you want to shake it up in the future and head to the jungle, shoot a PM. I'm looking to book 9/9-16 - Armenia, Colombia

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Many unique and amazing experiences have been reported on this drink.

Thanks for the info.

edit on 12-1-2011 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

Oh yeah, the diet.. but I guess you'll learn all about this when you go to the jungle.

I usually just start in the morning; nothing but fresh veggies and fruit. I try to avoid very sour stuff (citrus etc.) because they're terrible to puke out. Absolutely no drugs or alcohol. And this includes other psychoactives. Some people start 24h, sometimes 48h before. I feel that that's a bit overkill, but it certainly won't do any harm. I sometimes retrain completely from using the computer, watching TV, even listening to music, it's kind of a part of the diet, which I continue the following day.

After that, you never knew that food could taste so good! Also other, um, "similar" experiences will be a breeze

edit on 12/1/2011 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

top topics

join