It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origin of 2012 hype?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Anyone out there know when all the 2012 hype first started? How come I only started hearing about 2012 hype recently? I feel like 2009-2010 is when all the hype first began. Why not years ago? If something were to happen, then wouldn't have it been talked about for centuries? Have Central and South American countries been talking about it for a long time?

Or was it some US historian trying to make a few bucks?

There is supposedly going to be some Galactic Alignment happeneing on 12/21/2012, is nothing suppose to happen? We won't feel any different? The Earth won't change?

If you believe in Aliens/UFO's do you have to believe the 2012 hype? Are they the same thing? Where did the correlation come from? Who came up with it?

NASA has missions planned after 2012...So what is the story? 2012, who started this mess?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by game over man

Go to Google or YouTube and search for 2012 Doomsday or 2012 End times or 2012 prophecy. Apply a date range filter and see how far back you can go. When the relevancy of the results begin to wane you will have your answer.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I dont know when it started. but its been around for a long time, i herd about it in 1998,

go to youtube and look up ,, NIBIRU
edit on 24-10-2010 by HAMMERAX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Both of those are great ideas, but the Internet has only been around so long, same with Youtube. I was wondering because the Mayan Civilization I believe ended 250 AD. So what is the real story with the hype?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by game over man
Both of those are great ideas, but the Internet has only been around so long, same with Youtube. I was wondering because the Mayan Civilization I believe ended 250 AD. So what is the real story with the hype?

The Maya are still alive and still using their traditional calendar: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tetsuo

Mayan People/Mayan Civilization is the same thing? Had no idea...

2nd line

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Don't Believe The Hype!!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm not sure when the Long Count was initially translated, but the hype surrounding 2012 started around 1975. This is when New Age authors first latched on to the idea and started pumping out books. The galactic alignment theory comes from John Major Jenkins in the mid-90s. A lot of these ideas started with the publishing of Michael Coe's 1966 book The Maya, however, it didn't really get picked up until later.
edit on 24-10-2010 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It is based on the Mayan Long count calender which is actually a countdown calender (as opposed to our calender which counts up if you get me). This has been studied since the 1890's but i think that the first person to see 2012 as the end date of the final count was one of the researchers in the 1980's - Jose Arguelles or Terrence McKenna.

Since then there have been nunerous books and countless research done from all sorts of angles - only one of those angles being the end of the world. Ohters think that it means there will be a spiritual awakening then. Various ancient myths talk of awakening spiritual consciousness coming soon (age of aquarius stuff) including the Hopi, Maori and the I'Ching - but nothing other than the Mayan long count calender point to 2012 - people are just fitting it in as a possible date. The same is said for all those doomsayers telling us to read revelations.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Jose Argueles most likely. he wrote a book popularizing a simplified interpretation of mayan glifs many years ago in his book The Mayan Factor: Path Beyond Technology

en.wikipedia.org...

Also, Terrence McKenna referenced 2012 in his time wave theory as explained in his book 'true hallucinations'.

www.enlightenment.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Excellent! Thank you to the last 3 posters. I'll look into those references. I figure some research from years back would have more insight on the subject, than the History Channel. Even though it is great entertainment. It is not as core as the real deal research. Thanks again!

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by game over man

i'm not sure if i would call it real-deal 'research'. much of what argueles claims is contested by many, from native maya, to archeologists researching the culture. But it's at least considered one of the 'sources' of the popularized mythology. And an be a very entertaining read, nonetheless.

Same with McKenna. True Hallucinations is a wild ride in ayahuasca and cubensi binging in the south american jungle. hardy 'hard science', but certainly research of some kind, if at least gonzo.

top topics

join