It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accents are Extremely Amazing.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
And then people like me with trained non-regional dialects come in and wreck all your accent-spotting fun.

I think the purr of the Canadian accent (Alberta, Ontario, no Quebec plz) has to be my favorite sound in the world.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I would not go as far as saying amazing.

Funny? YES!

(Im scottish, in case anyone thinks I dont have a right.
edit on 25-10-2010 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Okay, it might be too late to be saying this, but let me clarifiy, I like European Accents, as in plural. There are several accents hailing from Europe in which I really like.

Sorry for sounding like I was grouping all European accents together.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudwatcher

Well, I am new here (applause), but me thinks that your name should be Nastyanus.

Is this English you're speaking, or some kind of dialect? I dread to imagine the accents in which it was uttered.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I was taught in my formative years, many years ago, that the UK for example has what is called a 20p dialect pattern. For those that don't know the 20p in UK currency is a hexagon shape, and therefore would forma honeycomb patten. Meaning that dialects within regional accents would change literally from village to village.

This hold true to a point as up to the early 19th Century there was little moving around in the population, so one village would develop and ever so slightly different way of speaking,

This can be still heard today, where within one city, the various dialect within the general accent will denote which part of the city the person is from.

Where I grew up, we spoke drastically different than the people who were in the town next to us, literally nothing more than 2 miles away., and the same on the other side.

Although to an "outsider" this was just all lumped together as a "Northern" accent.

I myself started with a Leicestershire accent, and moved to Cheshire. However in my working life, developed a Lancashire accent despite never having lived there, but due my peers. Although I currently live in Mexico so I would hate to think what accent I have now!!!!

As far as I was aware the US had about 12 regional accent, however I am sure that those with the accent region, can and do differentiate differences in intonation, inflection and tonal use that exist between towns / counties that go unheard by someone not so familiar.

Very interesting though

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I wonder what kind of accent do I have...I learned to speak english, but have never been to any english speaking country. I'm brazilian, by the way...do you native english speakers think there is a brazilian accent? You know, we are the only south american country that don't speak spanish, and the portuguese we speak here is quite different from portugal. By the way, we have some pretty awesome accents here too. People from the south, northeast and southeast tend to LOL quite hard at each other's accents. Nice thread!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I love this comedy sketch about accents.

Perry's been to Manchester (to see Oasis) and comes back with the accent, as kids do. Not to be beaten, Kevin adopts a new accent too. But it's from a bit farther North, though he doesn't know it.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Careful solar the Europeans have been fighting amongst themselves for centuries, don't group them all together!!!

this guy, he says accents...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join