It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accents are Extremely Amazing.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I like english accents the best

East coast american ones... not so much.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Hi, SolarE-Souljah and all.

Somebody did tell or write to me that I have an "accent" in my messages in forums !! B-)
I guess many can guess that english is not my primary langage.

One spoken accent I like, is someone from India speaking english.

Blue skies.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I'm sorry and please don't feel offended, but I think it's very amusing to see an american saying ''british accent''. I mean you do realize that the british is the original and the whole US-english is an accent of it, don't you?

Sorry but that's soo funny

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
How could I forget my all time favorite accent: Rasta accent!

It just sounds so wise and amazing. You feel as if you are being taught something profound whenever they talk like this. Very cool.

-SES

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Interesting.

I also understand your a big fan of Japanese accents SolarE.

www.abovetopsecret.com... '

,,,, never dance with the devil.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Than check out the Hungarian accent. Not everyone is this bad but the majority.

www.youtube.com...

It starts at 1:40 (the old guy is a joke but the woman realy speaks how the majority of us speak english
)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

My favorite accents:

-Southern: they make me crack up so hard...

-East Coast: Probably one of my favorite...

-European: Neformore...

How depressingly American this is.

Europe is not a country. It is a continent on which people don't just have different accents, they have different languages.

One of those countries invented the language you speak. It's called English, and if you walk across England from north to south or east to west, you can hear the accent changing from place to place. Even today, England alone boasts at least a dozen regional accents, probably many more. Then there's the Scots, the Irish and the Welsh, with their regional accents.

The same is true of every other country in Europe. Parisians don't speak French the way Gascons do, and in Alsace they barely speak French at all. Bavarians are incomprehensible to Hamburgers when they speak German. And they all have different accents when they speak English.

Broaden your horizons a bit. It's fun.

reply to post by schrodingers dog

Yup, there's such a thing: European Accent

As peddled by Hollywood. Real Europeans, as you know, don't speak like that.

Actually sometimes I can tell where someone is from on ATS from the syntax they use when they type in English ... also if their posts smell like Drakkar Noir.

Where am I from, SD? Where would you like me to be from?
edit on 25/10/10 by Astyanax because: of my accent.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
My husband claimed he married me not only because of my beauty, but because he loved my accent. He's from the southern US, while I have lived all over the country, picking up a very strange mixture from wherever I have lived.

Needless to say, we are getting divorced, as I believe more important things make up a relationship besides looks, and how a person sounds. It's the words that carry the weight and not the way in which they are pronounced.

Oh, and I never want to hear a southern accent ever again, as long as I live!

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I like accents too but absolutely loathe my own one. In everyday life I don't hear it, I only communicate. But when my accent is in a different place, either on the telly, or in amongst people of a different accent, mine sounds gutteral and low class.

I have an Iranian friend. He obviously speaks with an Iranian accent. But when he went to Italy on holiday and met some English folk there, they knew immediately he was an Iranian from Fife, Scotland. I still have the postcard he sent me which was written in my home accent too,

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
the thing that's funny to me about accents, i got pretty good guessing where people are from.

like canada as opposed to nebraska, lol.

or kiwi, oz and uk.

anyway, i was surprised when some chinese people asked me where i was from, i'd say massachusettes and they'd ask, what country!

so whenever i am asked that now, i say usa.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
What I really find interesting is the fact that animals as well have different regional accents.
Out of many, some examples:

Birds, ducks
Primates
Cows
Blind mole rats
Whales, dolphins
Dogs

edit on 25/10/10 by Movhisattva because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Accents are fascinating!

It's amazing how much variation there is, and how ignorant others will be of it. I can generally tell which part of Yorkshire someone comes from but southerners can barely tell I'm from Yorkshire. They might think im from Lancashire (this is extremely offensive.. bloody foreigners...) or even worse scotland or ireland or some such nonsense. Hardly anyone can tell the difference between a Scottish and Irish accent and Liverpool always gets mixed up.

But then when I go down south, they all sound like bloody southerners, every sentence seems like a question judging by the intonation at the end.. ?!?!?! Ponses

And inside London... well half the people in there aren't really aware that theres anything but farms outside the M25 so they of course can tell the difference between different london accents.. and they dont half love to bang on about which bit of london theyre from, as if anyone cares haha!

The Jafacan accent is by far the most hilarious. Braapp... ? oic...

Not that any of it matters of course, so long as you can communicate effectively. What bugs me is when people belligerantly exaggerate their accents dispite it being obvious no one can understand them.

As for American accents.. well I can recognise a few of the stereotypical ones like southern and NY cab driver.. thats about it tho.. I'm getting the hang of the difference between american and canadian.. if they say aboot theres no problem!

I struggle with Oz and Kiwi, a lot of people mix south africa with these two but i can tell if I hear enough..

As for oriental accents.... well I can maybe pick out Japanese from the rest but other than that no idea...

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Well, I am new here (applause), but me thinks that your name should be Nastyanus. Europe is a continent but to us Americans, they all speak with a European accent. I live in Ohio and can travel 50 miles in any direction and find a different accent spoken, and sometimes they even have their own little language going on (hint). Or I can travel to my local convenience store and be instantly transported to the East.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

You can even travel 1 mile in London and hear different London accents! I swear the uk has a huge variety of accents for it's size, possibly the most accents to size ratio in the world?
edit on 25-10-2010 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloudwatcher

Well, I am new here (applause), but me thinks that your name should be Nastyanus. Europe is a continent but to us Americans, they all speak with a European accent. I live in Ohio and can travel 50 miles in any direction and find a different accent spoken, and sometimes they even have their own little language going on (hint). Or I can travel to my local convenience store and be instantly transported to the East.

Yeah but it's quite obvious that a Dutch, Spanish, Italian, English, Scottish etc accent are really quite different from each other, that even Americans should be able to tell the difference.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Are we talking accents or dialects? Here in the UK they both work together to make how a person sounds.

As you move from town to town it changes, but is more noticble the further North / South you go.

I'm from the very far North west of England and the accent up here, combined with the dialect is well different to that which is spoken down south, but you go to the next county along and it's well different again. That being said there is a lot more similarities between Cumbrian and Yorkshire // Lancashire than there is Newcastle // cumbria etc, even though they are both northern, and then there is good old Birmingham, where north and south collide and everyone just sounds slow, lol.

BTW for those Americans's who say they can't tell the difference between Aussies and Brits.....trust me, there is a hell of a difference.

Here is the Cumbrian dictionary for you all to have a chuckle at me Marra's!

www.gonmad.co.uk...
edit on 25/10/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Here's what I find interesting. I am a Native American who speaks with a Southern draw. I have been mistaken for a Middle-Eastener (is that a word?) simply based on my looks. Took the kids to Disney World this summer and had several foreigners try to speak to me in their dialect. Now there's a place to people watch(and listen).

Yes, as an American I can tell the difference if someone is speaking Russian verses Spanish.
I guess we should all buy the Rosetta Stone. But to me, now and forever, a European accent is the sexiest!

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
OK so a bit of a strange topic this one not sure of its relevance here on ATS but what the hey!

Here in the UK which has to be one of the smaller nation Islands about we have many different accents in what is quite a small place ! Starting in the north where the Scottish alone have many different accents, moving down we have the Geordie accent from Newcastle area, then theres the mancs (Manchester) and then the scouse (Liverpool) accents ! My fave the Yorkshire accent which is not an accent to me as its local haha..
Then theres the brummie accent for people from the midlands and of course the cockney accent for Londoners!
There are many more but my faveruite accent has to be the Irish! Kinda sexy when u hear the woman.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I find accents are just an evolution to use less energy to say the same thing "what are you dong?", "Whachadoin'?"

Eventually if left on its own to evolve it will become a totally new language. (i guess?)

On another note, I have a friend from moracco who's been around the world and speaks many languages. He said in just about every place he's been and no matter what language, there is more of a drawl the further south you go. I think thats so wierd. hehe

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Accents in North East England get stronger the further north you go.
I can recognise people from as little as 10miles away from my town due to the strength of their accent.

I have a North East English accent but it's not as strong as the broad Geordie which is spoken by people from Newcastle which is about 40 miles north of where I come from.
There is also a slight difference in the Geordie accent and the accent of Mackems who come from Sunderland which is about 10 miles away from Newcastle.

Teesside is about 15 miles to the east of my town and Smoggies, people from Teesside, have a particular and unique accent which sounds a bit like a cross between North East and Scouse, hence another of their ncknames, Plastic Scousers.

www.englandsnortheast.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join