It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who do you think was the best presidential candidate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Who do you think was the best presidential candidate we have ever had whom did not win the election? It goes as far back as 1896, remember they had to have official nomination by their party or run as an independent.

My vote goes to my favorite, the Liberal champion, George McGovern.

edit on 10/24/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Despite his deafening defeat, Barry Goldwater holds my vote.

The reasons are numerous as to why. If one reads his later works, when he became older and the works by his son in regards to his dad, I saw someone that believed the Constitution to be the foundation of the country, but understood that the Federal Government is not to be trusted.

He was victim to the on of the first 'negative political attack ad' that we are inundated with today, Daisy. Ingeniously created by the Democratic party and only officially shown once, it was instantly picked up by all the news agencies and shown over and over. The image and insinuation that if Goldwater became president, he would lead the United States down the path to nuclear war was far from the truth, but it hit home with the fear of Americans at the height of the Cold War.

His views upon the Civil Rights Act were seen controversial, but what I seek in a statesman. One that recognizes that there was a long march by the Federal Government for complete centralization and reduction of States rights. Although, I think he could have gone about his disapproval of the act in a different manner.

He is on record of despising what the Republican party has become. He despised the overtaking and meshing of the 'Christian Right' within the party.

He is on record of having some really strong libertarian views such as gays in the military, doesn't care; abortion, consistantly voted for the upholding of it being legal; among others.

He was personally devestated when his FRIEND...and when I say friend, John F. Kennedy was his friend, was murdered. He gave frank and blunt advice that JFK really botched the Bay of Pigs by not unleashing the military. You see, his view was that if America were to utilize the military, then use it. Don't throw a hand full of rocks when you have boudlers to hurl so to speak. Right or wrong, it is the correct way to use ones military and we are seeing the effect of that very policy not being used today (Iraq, undermanned and Afghanistan, undermaned).

Mainly I believe he knew his faults but never apologized for how he believed. He stood his ground on his priniciples and didn't let some special interest sway his ideals.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Good choice IMO, I would not have voted for him because our politics are different but I always admire people who are willing to stand strong on their principles regardless of what happens to them. He fit that category very well, he wasn't shy about his 'extreme Conservatism' at the time either you liked him or you didn't. I like one quote from him that I would have never expected.

“It’s time America realized that there is no gay exemption in the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in the Declaration of Independence.” ~ Barry Goldwater

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Tis' interesting because your choice, given your ideals is a good one also. I don't subscribe to his politics, but just as Barry Goldwater stood firm in his principles, McGovern was the same.

One thing I often contemplate is what would have happened if John F. Kennedy didn't get assassinated and he would have been able to engage in Lincoln-Douglas style debates with Barry Goldwater that they wished to have.

Hell, I would be flabbergasted if any candidate(s) had the guts to engage in such debates. No pre-screened questions, no ridiculous slanted moderation and projected questions. Just honest, head-to-head debate on what the people find to be their issues of importance.

John F. Kennedy is quoted speaking to Barry Goldwater after the debacle of the Bay of Pigs "So you want this #ing job, eh?" paraphrasing from memory of course.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Two honest and good men who were very principled in a true debate, now that is something I would pay to see. Both candidates who would honestly deserve to hold that office, wow. LBJ was not a principled man he was strictly about politics, power and intimidation which they said he used a lot to get his way as Senate leader.

I like LBJ when it comes to Civil Rights and the other policies he did but they were never good enough for me to cast my vote for him, he seemed a very power hungry and corrupt man. I could be completely wrong but he started negative attack ads so he obviously wasn't the greatest guy. Back to the point though, JFK is my second favorite president so a debate between two principled friends would have really let America know where each stands and what exactly they were voting for.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Its hard to read about LBJ. I truly believe that man relished in the fact of how he became president. Then, knowing that a year later he would be up for 're-election' and an easy one because who would want to vote out the man that served under an assassinated president?

top topics

join