posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:48 AM
In prior postings on this forum I have stated my qualifications as a practicing petroleum engineer that has been in the oil industry for over 30
years. Now that the disaster has been contained, which has in itself refuted much of the ignorant speculation from non-technical professionals, I have
not posted much. However, I am posting one last thread to address one final puzzle concerning this disaster. Why did BP wait nearly 3 months to
finally attach equipment to control the flood of oil into the Gulf?
From my experience and professional viewpoint, I am flabbergasted that no one in the MSM or anywhere else to my knowledge has questioned why BP
finally closed in the well using another set of blow out preventers (BOP’s) that were bolted to the top of the old non-functioning stack. As on
prior threads, I do not believe that the blow out itself was purposely executed, but was the result of engineers that had been trained by accountants.
However, there is no reason that the technique used to control the well after blowing out for 3 months could not have been initiated the first week of
The facts are as follows:
1) All necessary equipment was on site and available the first week, proved by the fact that relief wells were initiated.
2) The first picture of the blow out site I saw showed the bent riser was attached by a bolted flange. At that time I questioned why in the hell they
would be piddling around with saw to cut the riser pipe when 6” below there was a flange that could be unbolted. The same ROV’s that bolted it
together should be able to unbolt it as was proven later.
3) After 3 months of allowing the blow out to continue BP didn’t know any more about the pressures, rate of flow or mechanical condition of the
well than they did when they finally removed the flange and bolted up more blow out preventers.
4) Even if the wellbore was compromised as was speculated the attachment of the new BOP stack would allow 100% recovery of the escaping oil and gas
while the relief wells were completed, instead of the silly cap that was loosely put over the sawed off riser.
If there is a conspiracy to be discussed it is that the disaster was allowed to continue for months. I have to believe that there is a crusty old
engineer somewhere in BP that had been working before the accountants took over the industry, that sat in some meeting and stated the obvious as was
apparent to me,” Why don’t we just bolt up a new set of BOP’s to the riser flange?” I imagine he is now sitting in Djibouti without a cell
phone or internet connection.
So with these facts I have the following questions:
1) Was the Obama administration complicit in preventing the obvious solution to the escape in the ocean or just demonstrating complete
2) What deal was made with BP to allow the escape to continue, when someone at BP knew it could be controlled?
3) What is the motivation behind making a bad situation worse than it needed to be?
The fact that the MSM & the administration made no grandiose gesture patting themselves on the back when the new BOP was attached and staunched the
flow in my opinion adds additional credence to the hypothesis that the well was purposely allowed to flow to create as much damage as possible.