It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Anyone Ever Gotten Rid of Fruit Flies in the Home??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

These things are driving me nuts.

I've already gotten the advice of an exterminator and I've already searched online for this but nothing works.

I'm looking for the advice of a member who knows personally what has worked.

Anybody?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Have you tried Neem oil????
Are they in your house or in your plants???

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

No and they're in my house.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I've never and I mean never, have known anything to collect and remove more flying insects than good old fashion Fly Paper. You know, the ugly hanging strips that you hang from the ceiling.

They are not pretty by any means but they do by God work. I can attest to that.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

there not fruit flys they are fungus gnats. try putting a fungicide in your house plants, or whatever plants you have growing whether legal or not.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Apple cider vinegar

I've tried it and it works most of the time. You have to get a good container. I use spaghetti jars with a few holes poked in the top. You put some of the vinegar in the jar ( fill about an inch or two) and then you MUST add a few drops of dish soap. The soap breaks the surface tension, so when the fly lands, it falls into the liquid and drowns. Keep the lid on. They will smell the vinegar through the small holes and think it is rotting fruit.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

hmmmm weird.
Id use fly papers in that case then and some sort of pesticide to treat the eggs and lavea.
There must be a reason behind the invasion of your home....flies dont just make home inside for no reason there must be something making them stay and breed.

EDIT: Neem oil is great as a deterant, it will stop all sorts of insects invading your plants. Its an Indian cooking ingredient but insects dont like the smell ( curry'ish ) use it diluted in your plants soil and you wont have bugs

edit on 24-10-2010 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Fruit flys come from fruits you buy at store. The little eggs you can´t see on fruits are already there. You can go rid of them, but you have to store your fruits in the refrigerater. The flys don´t eclose at cold temperatures.
I know that´s disgusting but... well proteins. You would wonder how often you eat those nasty things.
It helps, that summer I had the first time no problems with fruit flys! And wash the fruits!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
You could put a piece of an apple into a little plastic bag, let it open a bit. It´s like a trap, but you have to look every hour or so after it, than grab it and fill water inside or a spray some chemicals on them. You can make more traps if you want, but take care that there ar not coming more of them.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Poor a little red wine in a sandwich style tupperwear container, cover in saran wrap and poke a hole in the middle about the size of your finger. Their attracted to the smell, they'll fly in but not out. Beer works as well.
It still took a couple of weeks to get rid of them all.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Numino
Fruit flys come from fruits you buy at store. . . . you have to store your fruits in the refrigerater.

That's what I thought, too, and I've done that but it hasn't helped.

Originally posted by Numino And wash the fruits!!!

Yeah I've been doing that.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
. . . some sort of pesticide to treat the eggs and lavea.

Does the diluted Neem oil serve this purpose?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dnaobs

Best idea! Remember some flys in my wine glas. This will work!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Fly paper actually works on something as small as a fruit fly?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Best thing to do is as follows: Get a bowl or a cup and put about 3 tablespoons or less of red wine in it. Stretch cellophane or plastic wrap over the top. secure with rubber band, poke some holes in the top with a toothpick and sit it by the fruit, within 24 hours you will have most of them in there.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by canc3i2

I did this with vinegar, not wine, and set it out but not by the fruit, which I keep in the refrigerator.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Been there a couple of times. Turns out I had what are known as drain flies. They look like fruit flies too. The suggestions of fly paper and traps worked for me. I also have opened the door to my kitchen and chased a bunch out to get a lessened amount. The traps got the rest.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by yoesse
Been there a couple of times. Turns out I had what are known as drain flies.

Interesting. How did you find this out?

So, in your experience, fly paper will work on something as small as a fruit fly/drain fly?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Everyone is pretty much saying how to attract more of them. sure its to their demise but they are fruit flies, theres a ton of them and most wont find their way to your trap. How clean is the area they are around? Empty beer cans in the recycle under the sink? water under the fridge from doing dishes?

They are so sneaky but I find that cleaning everything and then getting the whole area dry, especially the window seal above the sink... right outside that window also, they seem to be able to enter that window even closed... But really there are only so many places for those things to come from. It has to be moist. So get rid of their hiding spots!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerForLight

They pester me when I'm at my computer armoir, at the dining room table, and when I'm in the kitchen preparing meals. I don't see them on my garbage under the sink or places like that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join