It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leadership woes when TSHTF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I feel like survivalists often neglect certain aspects of social survivalism, especially leadership, authority and hierarchy.

I'm basing this question assuming you are a good, grounded, intelligent leader or your survival group based on your age, skillset, experience or just general consensus. So, assume you have a small group of family and close friends or neighbors under your wise leadership. What you say, pretty much goes and this has (so far) assured everyone's survival a year into TSHTF. Your place is quite safe and resources are stable, but you start identifying worrying signs: elements of desperation, extreme boredom, criminal intent, potential treason or even mental breakdown within your own group or a single individual.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THESE EXAMPLES COULD BE PERFORMED BY PEOPLE VERY DEAR TO YOU LIKE A LOVING DAUGHTER, PARENT, WIFE OR BROTHER.

What I would like to know is, what would you do as a leader if you had:

0- A case of violence, disobedience or physical abuse by one of the group members towards another.

1-A minor crime has been committed within the group: like stealing a can of beans.

2-A major crime has been committed within the group: like rape or murder.

3-An alpha male/female with opposite views of how things should be done. In other words, a threat to your leadership.

4-You are being overruled/bullied by 2 or more people. Numbers are against you.

5-A case of insanity. This could be in the form of an illness or cabin fever or desperation. Subject is completely unpredictable.

I'm very interested in your responses.

edit on 24-10-2010 by Isawsomething because: clarity

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Isawsomething

I wouldn't "rule with an iron fist". For me at least, that is never a successful situation. Everyone needs to contribute to decisions within the community based on their own specific skillset and everyone would have a say - that way everyone develops ownership, and with ownership comes quality and sense of accomplishment (which EVERYONE needs). Wisdom in leadership (in my opinion) is in listening, observing and gauging the mood of the community and then making the best possible decision for the whole. Morale is key.

ETA: That would minimize 0, 1, & 2. It would do away with 3 & 4. Number 5 would have to handled on a case by case basis, obviously, and taking into account all the factors. I know that's vague but, well, your example was vague.

And yes, I'm not being naive about this. It will be rough sometimes.
edit on 24/10/2010 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Isawsomething

From the very start, the survival groups was told the rules.
You said after a year has gone by. Things are changing in the
group to being coming very bad.
1. Stealing food from the group. What apparently has happen the group is be coming
short on food. Answer: the group needs to send out scouts to gather more food.
2. Rape I could see happen, murder no, the group needs all persons for its own survival.
The person who committed the rape would be shackled. Until law and order was back.
3 & 4. Go hand in hand. At times it is good to change leadership. It gives all in the group
a chance to feel important.
5. Insanity, The group has to be actively seeking food. The person could be shackled as
not to hurt themselves. Special attention should be given to them persons. Medicate them,
make them feel part of the group not a burden. Give them more chores to do, to keep their
minds off the bad situtation.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Fair enough. But I would like to know what if one of those cases DID happen regardless of your social approach at hierarchy or rule or discipline. What would YOU do if your voice as a leader or important member of the decision-making suddenly becomes challenged by one of these events?

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Isawsomething

What I would like to know is, what would you do as a leader if you had:

0- A case of violence, disobedience or physical abuse by one of the group members towards another.
my answer: have them run the gauntlet*

1-A minor crime has been committed within the group: like stealing a can of beans.

2-A major crime has been committed within the group: like rape or murder.

3-An alpha male/female with opposite views of how things should be done. In other words, a threat to your leadership.
There are three possibilities. If you think they will screw things up enough to endanger their own authority, without hurting yours, then let them rule long enough for the group to reject their leadership. If there is a chance they might have a point, then co-opt them and rule alongside them as tribune. Or three, remove them, immediately.

4-You are being overruled/bullied by 2 or more people. Numbers are against you.

If you cannot win, give in gracefully. Wait your turn to reinstate your rule, at their first real failure. But that moment had better be clear-cut; you only get one chance to re-assume control.

5-A case of insanity. This could be in the form of an illness or cabin fever or desperation. Subject is completely unpredictable.

there's really no choice here. They have to go, and in such a way that they can never be a threat in the future.

*The gauntlet is the choice of small social groups throughout history. It is democratic, and the beating can be purely ceremonial, or to the point of death, depending on how the group feels. People tend to not go overboard with their punishments, since the prisoner may be hooded, but the rest of the troop certainly are not.

new topics

top topics

join