It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why im deinstalling internet explorer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
They passed through my firewall and my router.

Rat-bastards. I'm off I.E....there may be some weird reason I have to use it from time to time (as spectre pointed out),but from now on I'm Firefox by default.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Slightly off topic, but is there any real (ie:good) alternative to Windows? Other than buying a Mac I mean...

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Valhall,

I'll give it a try someday, but I am still happy for now with Netscape.

I don't think it is really slower than IE though, and really it basically never locks up on my computer, but IE does way too often...

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Al Vereco
Slightly off topic, but is there any real (ie:good) alternative to Windows? Other than buying a Mac I mean...

Several versions of Linux are good, but I reckon there are a few problems: it is much more difficult to install and configure (though newer versions tend to be easier), it is sometimes difficult (even impossible) to find drivers for some peripherals, and also most of commerce software is not designed for Linux. Otherwise, it is very fast, very reliable, very secure, and totally free (except for the CD if you in stores).

I wonder if Microsoft will one day develop their own Unix-like...

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Does anyone know if I can use Firefox and have IE as back up or do I have to uninstall IE?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I have Firefox, Opera, IE and Netscape installed. I don't run them all at the same time, but I often have two of them open at the same time.. They don't seem to take up much space, so unless you have very little space left on your hard drive, you should be fine!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpookyVince
Valhall,

I'll give it a try someday, but I am still happy for now with Netscape.

I don't think it is really slower than IE though, and really it basically never locks up on my computer, but IE does way too often...

If you like Netscape, you will LOVE Firefox. If you install it and really don't like it, you can always uninstall, but there's no reason you can't have all three.

d1k

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I have tried most browsers now including fire fox, fire fox is a bit too buggy for my liking. I use MYIE2 now, its by far the best browser I have come across!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
They passed through my firewall and my router.

Rat-bastards. I'm off I.E....

Valhall, that is really HORRIBLE. Was it hard to fix and how did you discover it???
_________
Does anyone know if running Avant over IE offers any protections??

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I am sorry for all of you having problems with ie-9 but, to tell the truth I have never experience any of this problems, perhaps due to all the programs and firewall I keep running, it does help, to invest in some of this utilities, even if you use another type of browser.
you should protect your computer and privacy too.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I'm using the custom browser that came with my sbc yahoo dsl. I like it alot. i tried using IE there were so many popups. My browser that i use right now has a built in pop-up blocker.

Thats a picture of my browser.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
eww, IE blows chunks.

I'm an opera whore. /dodges the fruit

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
You CANT completely uninstall IE. Its IMPOSSIBLE. Programmers have tried...but its jsut not possible. IE is so integrated into Windows. Uninstall the actual Internet Explorer form Add/Remove Program and that will get rid of the nice interface and all the extra crap. But open up My Computer and type in a web address. Itll still go there. In IE. Iv jsut uninstalled what I can of IE and just go to Windows Update using Explorer.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I installed Firefox and it looks really nice, only he's not connecting with the web. Anyone ideas?

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by d1k
I have tried most browsers now including fire fox, fire fox is a bit too buggy for my liking. I use MYIE2 now, its by far the best browser I have come across!

I'm using MYIE2 as well and so far I like it better than fire fox although firefox seems to be a little faster.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I've got the Firefox installed now, and yes it's very good. Sadly there are still some sites I must go to with IE because of their menus. (probably IE specific code from the site itself). I reckon it's a bit faster that Netscape, apart from that, it's just about the same.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
I would hesitate to completely wipe out IE. The "Windows Update" feature is handy and only work in IE. That is all I have used it for since I discovered Mozilla and Firefox.

Windows Update is the only reason I still use IE. I use Firefox 0.9 FOR EVERYTHING...

I'll still upgrade IE and stuff to keep security up, but Firefox is my default browser for the forseeable future.

Firefox r0xx my s0xx!

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Don't be pedestrian... use Lynx! Text only browser
No banner ads!

[Edited on 11-7-2004 by HeirToBokassa]

[Edited on 11-7-2004 by HeirToBokassa]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trenchcoat
There must be more files other than the executable Iexplore.exe for it to still be there.

Since Windows 98 IE (On windows 95 you had to install IE4 with Desktop update to make this work) is integrated in the operating system and therefore there is almost no difference between Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer. IF you don�t believe me, launch �My Computer� and type in the address. That option (Add/Remove programs/Windows components) to remove IE is complete bull*hit, because it only removes shortcuts.

Sorry, I didn�t noticed someone already said that. Anyway, as far as I remember XPlite removes some more crap, but still you will not be 100% free from IE.

[Edited on 14-7-2004 by Agnis]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join