It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why im deinstalling internet explorer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
i just got done installing mozilla and so far it seems pretty decent. why? well it seems that there is a major issue brewing with a new way to spread viruses from web servers to ie. you can read about it here:

www.eweek.com...

the thing that is especially bad about this one is that there is currently no way to know that you have become infected.

here are more links that discuss the issue:

news.com.com...

www.incidents.org...

this could be a very huge issue.

[edit on 27-6-2004 by spangbr]

[edit on 27-6-2004 by spangbr]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I started using Firefox a few days ago and am pleased with the way it handles.
IE is still there for emergency purposes, but thats about it.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I have only been using it for a couple of weeks now. It has been hard to get used to, but it was also the last version. I just installed .9 and am very happy to report it made it feel more like what I am used to. I am about to uninstall I.E. myself. Already deleted the shortcuts from desktop and all..

good riddance. Using I.E. has become like trying to surf a wave on a hurricane fence...everything would work great if it weren't for the fact you're taking on water and getting no lift.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I've been using Firefox for about a month now, and it's a lot better. Faster for one. It gives some annoying error messages on occasion but it's worth it.

Valhall, I'm using .8 but I saw .9 on the mozilla site the other day but i wasn't sure wither to get it or not as it said it was a preview. Does it work just the same as .8?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It is definitely working faster for me than the .8 kegs. Also, it has the look and feel of I.E. (more so than .8 at least), which is making navigating with it easier for me. For instance, you know how .8 has the "imported I.E. bookmarks" and you have to clumsily get to them? .9 makes them part of the bookmarks proper...no more second level to get to them.

I like it!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I would hesitate to completely wipe out IE. The "Windows Update" feature is handy and only work in IE. That is all I have used it for since I discovered Mozilla and Firefox.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Okay, thanks Valhall. The 'preview' thing put me off, I thought it was only going to be a partly functioning version.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
No prob kegs.

Thanks for the advice spectre...I'll keep it in the background.

E_T

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Yeah, I would suggest leaving IE for updating Windows.
But otherwise using it is only digging blood from nose, it's really one garbage/thrash vacuum and it's better keep firewall asking about every connection that Internet Exposed tries to make.

I have used Opera for five years and after that using IE feels like cruel torture.

BTW, this is good utility.
www.litepc.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I have also been using Firefox .9 for a few days now, and am very pleased with it's features.

Unfortunately, IE cannot ever be truly removed from your system! Even if you uninstall, IE will be removed from your menus and from your Windows Components under Add/Remove programs, but IE is still accessible by selecting All Programs in your start menu. Just click on Windows Update, and there it will be in all it's glory. Even the iexplore.exe has been removed from your system after uninstall. So how is it still able to work???? There must be more files other than the executable Iexplore.exe for it to still be there.

Maybe the sysadmin can shed some light on this???

TC

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I could not go back to IE now. Tabbed pages rule!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
well i guess im just gonna leave it on and not use it. that it is integrated with windows is really one of the core problems with ie related to the new attacks coming out.

E_T

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trenchcoat
So how is it still able to work????TC

Don't believe everything what Micro$oft tells.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
no way I'd go back to IE been running firefox for a month or so it rocks

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
You should keep IE on your computer, with the internet zone security settings to maximum. You then add all the pages you still need to access in IE, like windowsupdate, to the trusted zone, which you can set to normal security. This way you can keep out at least a bit of the problems of IE. For all other internet browsing, use firefox with ad-block and web-developer extensions (toolbar for disabling and enabling of java, _javascript, cookies, etc.).

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'm using Netscape 7 at the moment and I am quite happy with it. What do you think?

It has also tabbed pages, anti pop-up, so on... I think that anyway it is waaaaaaaaay better that IE. The only problem is that lots of sites are using IE specific stuff (such as scroll down menus, that sometimes don't work in Netscape) and so I'm still using IE from time to time...

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I'd use Firefox or Mozilla but I have an old computer which currently has a very small amount of free space left. I have no idea how this thing is running XP.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpookyVince
I'm using Netscape 7 at the moment and I am quite happy with it. What do you think?

It has also tabbed pages, anti pop-up, so on... I think that anyway it is waaaaaaaaay better that IE. The only problem is that lots of sites are using IE specific stuff (such as scroll down menus, that sometimes don't work in Netscape) and so I'm still using IE from time to time...

You might check out the new capabilities of the .9 Firefox...I think they have addressed some of these I.E. specific thingies.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I don't like Netscape, it's too slow and locks up way too much.
Foxfire is quite nice, as is Opera. (Although, Opera crashes too much for my taste.)

I installed AVANT over IE--it speeds it up tremendously. It blocks pop ups and ads.
Besides windows Updates, there are some online merchants that still don't interface well with anything but IE

Won't my firewall and current virus protection block all the nasties out there?????????????

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a major problem with this new round of attacks is that they pass through the firewall because they are part of the webpages. then when they are loaded onto your pc via ie, ie is integrated with the windows security, which opens the door for the attacker to basically do anything on your computer. when it happens the pc is compromised with no visibility to the user. anti viruses can put out definitions for the current round of codes but they can be created faster than the definitions can be, and spread rapidly.

aslo note in the articles that it looks like there could be patched servers getting infected. this could play out to be the worst set of viruses to date.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join