It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ministers plan huge sell-off of Britain's forests

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Ministers plan huge sell-off of Britain's forests

www.telegraph.co.uk

Caroline Spelman, the Environment Secretary, is expected to announce plans within days to dispose of about half of the 748,000 hectares of woodland overseen by the Forestry Commission by 2020.

The controversial decision will pave the way for a huge expansion in the number of Center Parcs-style holiday villages, golf courses, adventure sites and commercial logging operations throughout Britain as land is sold to private companies.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I think this is a bad idea personally.... don't we need what little greenland we have left?

I can see some being bought only for personal gain via holiday homes or amusement parks.... or dare i say it, more homes!!

This Country is already full to the rafters with population growth set to blossom even more.... na, i think we need to keep as much forestry as possible especially in little old England.... you've all seen what is happening in the Amazon...

They will end up building new Towns in these areas i bet ya

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Thanks for this thread Truth, starred and flagged.

I live in one of the forests mentioned here. As a kid i guess i never appreciated the surroundings here, but i know i loved growing up here. It was my playground, my friends playground....and now years later...it's my kids playground.

This place is beautiful, yet everyday we see it changing, mostly for the worse. They are building on any little bit of land that becomes available, even if it looks grossly out of place.

There is always someone who will benefit from these dicisions, and in time, i like to think that certain personalities within the govrnment and local councils will feature in their vey own thread here on ATS.

I know it's not quite as important to many here as other subjects, but there are far too many beautiful areas of this planet going to the dogs due to logging companies construction companies.

I don't ever want to see my quiet little village and surrounding gorgeous forests become a subject in the Fragile Earth forum.

CX.
edit on 24/10/10 by CX because: spelling

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Hopefully some people will take the initiative and start a few forests of their own.

It’s ironic that one of the most beautiful, untouched rural areas in the UK is the land surrounding Porton Down, one of the dodgiest military research labs on the planet. At least it will always remain that way, apart from the places with the giant carnivorous butterflies where the vegetation lashes out at you

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Yet another reason why we need to get rid of this government we have now.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

SSMGAS.

Short Sighted Money Grabbing Arsehole Syndrome strikes again.

These are OUR forests, not the governments.

They are OUR heritage, and ought to be preserved as such.

These profiteering fools would sell off our air for profit if they could.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I quite agree, we need to do all we can to protect what little foresty we have left..

We have hardly any real forest left in my neck of the woods.. and we're fighting to defend the few (50,000) elms we have from obliteration, but even the cash to do that is drying up pretty quickly.. it's left to volunteers to protect the few remaining forests we have.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I am severely unimpressed by this!

Be sure, myself and undoubtedly many others similar, shall invoke our earth god's and forest guardians to bring them to bear if crimes against what little ancient forest we have remaining are seen to be perpetrated.

There are forces in England connected to our ancient forests, these politicians considering this, as too the corporate entities, do not fathom, perhaps they should be guided by senior degree Masons in this, ask them to explain the metaphysics, as they know exactly to what i speak, which mere 'politicians' with their narrow band perceptions couldn't fathom if they tried and there are many advanced pagans in England who will act on behalf of our forests, they may consider us merely peddlers of 'mumbo jumbo', but their belief is not a prerequisite by any means.

I saw this elsewhere earlier, and i am now on a simmering level of malevolence regards this and will be until i know the senior politicians involved are creating rigid safeguards to protect our forests!

I may speak, but am one of many, act against me if they wish, but similar shall come from those who have not spoken and my mechanisms will be righteous in defence of self.

I am watching.

May the great goddess compel them to wisdom!!!

edit on 24-10-2010 by DeltaPan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Maybe the queen will lease us some of the seabed she "owns" so we can drown these scum suckers

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Perhaps a better offer would be to lease one of the Gas caverns under the North Sea she owns so we have a space to banish all the scumbags too..

Out of sight out of mind

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Perhaps a better offer would be to lease one of the Gas caverns under the North Sea she owns so we have a space to banish all the scumbags too..

Out of sight out of mind

Seriously.

After the last weeks revelations, "governing in the countries interests" has worn very thin. Not only have they turned our military into a joke, they are selling off our country bit by bit just like they did the last time.

To be honest they are provoking people like myself to an anger not seen since the civil war.

We need a clean slate in terms of governance in this country and an iron fist with which to smash these morons out of power and a true commons put in place that represents the people and not interests.

I am not joking in wanting to drown these traitors..

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
By 2050 Britain is just going to be one massive city.

I bet ya

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Not happy with selling off all our services, the Tory's now want to start selling off our land too. Are they going to be selling the unemployed off to the cheepest bidder too.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by haydn_18

I bet ya

I agree with what you say..... this land will be nothing but block by block of buildings made out of brick & concrete..... won't be able to see any greenland anywhere..... London is already near enough like this.... and when you look at cities like NY for example, it's horrid looking.... seriously the next time you see a photo of NY or London, you should play 'spot the park'....

I'm really trying to get away from the City & built up areas and i hope i'll be able to do that one day soon not that i'll forget what a state it is or feel sorry for the next generation that will need to live in it but i'll hopefully be floating in my boat off the coast of Panama or somewhere like that.....

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Out of sight out of mind

Seriously.

After the last weeks revelations, "governing in the countries interests" has worn very thin. Not only have they turned our military into a joke, they are selling off our country bit by bit just like they did the last time.

To be honest they are provoking people like myself to an anger not seen since the civil war.

We need a clean slate in terms of governance in this country and an iron fist with which to smash these morons out of power and a true commons put in place that represents the people and not interests.

I am not joking in wanting to drown these traitors..

Now do you think your being provoked into an angry response or that they are so incomptetent and selffish not to notice the angry brewing?

This story affects my neck of the woods as without funding of the forestry commission the last stand of Mature british elms will be wiped out... unlike most of the UK I was fortunate to grow up in a scenary that included our glorious Elms.. it will be a sad day if we lose them to fund a greedy establishment.

But there is a lot of anger growing at the establishment and I do wonder how long before it starts to really surface..

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by haydn_18

I bet ya

Well, that would be the only reason I could see for being happy that my area has turned into a National Park. with the rest of the UK as one city on the other side

Seriously the rich keep areas like mine prestine for their pleasure only.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Yes, i saw that on countrywise a few weeks ago.. It will be sad to see all of our elms destroyed. Apparantly there is only one place left untouched by disease. I hope that they are preserved..

I think that those in charge just think we will do what we usually do and shout for a bit then go back into apathy when x-factor comes on.

Not this bloody time!

CX

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Someone has started a Facebook page regarding this....i'm sure there will be a petition somewhere soon too...

www.facebook.com...

CX.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I saw that link too.... hmmmm.... petitions are all meaning good things but sometimes the people need to make themselves heard more by protesting in the streets..... ok, its not working so well in France at the mo but we'll see where that all ends up.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Plus ca change eh! We get rid of one lot of incompetent morons and replace them with another set. The only difference I can see is that one set stole the money from the system to become rich in recent years, whereas the other lot have been doing it to the country for hundreds of years.

I was shopping the other day and got into a chat with a man who's son is a serving soldier, he is so upset at the treatment his son has received from both governments he was actively suggesting the time is coming where there will be a revolution led by the middle and working classes to remove the rich. For the life of me I couldn't think of an argument against what he was saying.

Selling off the forests, bright idea, we should be planting new forests not cutting down the few trees we have left.

We need to pull back from the brink of ecological disaster, the politicians need to regain a sense of social justice, freedom, and fairness, or there will be change on a scale to make the French Revolution look like a bit of turmoil over a bit of cake!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join