It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Refs Face Ban for Using Pink Whistles for Breast Cancer Charity!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
A group of high school football officials in Washington state were trying to support breast cancer research while working this week's games, so they made a pledge to donate all game checks to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Then, to top off the charitable gesture, they announced they would all use pink whistles during the games. Now there's a chance those whistles could cost the refs a chance to work state playoff games.

The chair of the WOA, Todd Stordahl, told KING 5 News and MyNorthwest.com he has little choice but to discipline officials who used colored whistles. He claims that letting them continue without punishment would send the wrong message to student athletes.

"They chose not to ask for permission, not to go the right route," Stordahl told KING 5. "It sends the wrong message to kids that are playing the game. 'If they broke the rules why can't I do the same.'"

rivals.yahoo.com...

The boards on Yahoo have tore this guy to shreds... I haven't seen solidarity on a subject there ever like this...

Who does this Stordahl think he is really??

I mean, the heroes of sports can pop on piss tests, can pretty much write the rules... the kids can wear their hair any way, earrings, etc... but if a ref wants to use a pink whistle for a couple of games to show support for charity, does one really think that a kid will actually notice?

A kid who is into the game? Do kids even really pay attention to the refs, other than to abuse them when they feel a bad call is made?

And the refs of high school sports... they make less than $75 a game. They are regular folks that
do it for the love of the game.
They do it for the kids. Period.

Lay the hell off. They are even donating two of their measly checks from reffing to the Foundation.

Is this "commissioner" mad because nobody licked his *$% first, or because it wasn't his idea??
Sounds like it.
Sorry, but this kind of thing...this really gets me upset.
People all righteous like this, being the "rules" police over inane matters,
saying "it's for the children",
when their own children are 99% of the time a train wreck,
and 99% of the time these people let the "stars" off the hook...
Wonder if he has a clue what cancer in the family is like...
edit on 24-10-2010 by thegoodearth because: spelling

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Yeh, I agree this story is a complete joke. The whistles were to support charity, and every major sport is changing colors to pink to support it this month, that being said....

Does anyone else think that breast cancer gets more air time than any other form of cancer? I wonder why?? What would Freud have to say on the matter? lol

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

edit on 24-10-2010 by Ace High because: double post

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I know... all the ML sports are doing it... this guy decides to show his complex by being a complete jerk.
IT'S HIGH SCHOOL.

Yeah, breast cancer gets a lot of attention, but I have to believe that any attention shown to cancer has to be good...

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
People in authority don't like it when you don't go through the chain of command. Small minded people penalize you for things like that. I know from past experience. It's for a charity, for heaven's sake.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
It's whistles, for heaven's sake...

I could almost, mind you, see a peep of something, if the refs were going to wear black and pink striped shirts...

But pink whistles?
Get over it, man!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
everyone gets a bit of cancer at same point in their life, more often it goes unoticed and our bodies fight it off, sometimes our bodies dont,

but the hospitals love to find every single case of it so they can try to cure it their way which is to charge the hell outta you for chemo.

they dont want someone with cancer unknowingly winning the battle because they improve their diet.

they'd rather someone with cancer become aware of it so they can have the docor decide what to do for them.....which always comes back to money.

cancer awarness is only hospital advertising.

improve your diet is the better alternative.

but i do agree these refs dont deserve punishment and i hope that fool gets fired. he is sending a very wrong messege of totalitarian control.
edit on 10/24/10 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

I know I am going to be going against the tide here, but I agree with Todd Stordahl.

If there are clearly stated rules and regulations, in which a referee must adhere to to be able to participate in officiating the game, then he is correct.

The referees in question should have petitioned the WOA to allow them to show their support for the charity by allowing a waiver to use pink whistles.

The same has gone on in professional sports. I guarantee there is an agreement between the leagues and officiating unions/coalitions and anyone else involved in the regulations of officials to allow the use of, or wear of non-regulation uniforms.

CX

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Maybe they'd change it if you sent them this....

www.macmillan.org.uk...

Men get it too.

CX.

new topics

top topics

join