It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Witch Burning in Africa (Extremely Disturbing Video)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
This is why I believe little in the bible.
The people that wrote the Bible were not much more educated than the ones setting the "witches" on fire.
So we are meant to believe what was written as fact?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

this is disgusting and the fact that you posted this video is even more so. I don't need to see this to know of the evil in the world. I suspect you did this to be sensational.
do you honestly think that by posting this you are helping?

Conal

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

You want to remind us that this sort of thing still exists? What makes you think that "we" need reminding?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I have a few points to make, sorry if they have been mentioned (i haven't read the last couple of pages yet).

Firstly, this doesn't happen across the whole continent of Africa as some are implying here.

Secondly, colonialism didn't create this but almost certainly did amplify it. Many awful things happened in tribal life, particularly in Nigeria, throughout history.

Witch hunt. I do find a lot of the discussion here a little hypocritical, not from individuals but from a western perspective in general. Can noone see the analogy in our own culture, the witch hunts that we conduct? Imagine that the media in our countries is the leader (or whoever organises these burnings) of the tribe, the witches being "terrorists". Replace "killed babies" with Jihad. I would imagine that an advanced alien coming here and learning about us would find it hard to differentiate between what goes on in Africa and what we have done in Afghanistan and Iraq. The crowd cheering the burning on? Sounds similar to the blind patriotism that was calling for blood in Iraq.

Or even think out what happens to someone when they are suspected of doing things to children (sexually or violently) in our culture. Chances are they get a very brutal time in prison with guards turning a blind eye and a general belief that they deserve it, or deserve worse. A few years ago in England convicted paedophiles had their pictures published in a daily tabloid newspaper. What entailed can only be described as a witch hunt.

I'm not trying to justify or take away the seriousness of the OP video but lets remember that we are not perfect either and that we can be subject to brutal gang-type witch hunt behaviour as well.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
In response to the first page of religion-bashing: Burning witches is not Christian - it is human. Christianity teaches that every single one of us deserves death because we're all equally sinful - but that God loves us despite all that, and so we should not cast judgement on others' sin, but love them as God loves us.

If someone who claims to be a Christian doesn't follow the above precept, they're not Christian at all, and are a wolf in sheep's clothing.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

Better to pretend it doesn't happen at all then ehh?? Maybe we need reminding because our not so distant history has done this same exact thing in the name of their religion, somethings you just can't sweep under a rug....

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Did I say what they actually deserve ? No? Because I didn't actually cast a judgement on them, it was hypothetical. I was waiting for someone to mention something like that. If I actually had the responsibility of these peoples lives in my hands I would not do the same to them. I can understand where I might not have sounded clear but my mind has always been made up since I watched that video

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Wrong it was done by christians, the problem is that they interpreted the bible different then you or a lot of people do in today's society.. The belief system in the bible changes just like everything else in the world, 300 years from now people might think the way christians think now might be a little extreme by their standards....

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is so unbelievable disgusting that I am not able to use even the right words for it.
Some time ago I saw on a site some pictures which also had to do with the same kind of unbelievable disgusting acts against totally helpless women.
They did give me the same utterly terrible feeling as this film and they did stay for many days burned on my retina.

THE EVIL THINGS MEN DO.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I wonder what it is about horrific stuff that makes us want to show other folk. Is there a name for that?

I mean, you mention that you're gonna have to meditate to get over watching that yourself, then you post it and go on about how bad it is, then say over and over that folk should NOT watch it, (even though it's posted). Then us curious folk go to look at it anyway. Then we get all upset and will probably meditate UNINTENTIONALLY ON the images we saw, till some new horror replaces them.
Why do we like shocking folk with horrible stuff? That's a real thing.

Anyway, whereabout in Africa is that?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowed

Sorry mate but I don't burn people personally. My country may have used to do it. I never did, never will. I promote happiness and the likes. Just because I'm worried and talking about something in another country instead of my own does NOT make me a hypocrite, I just care about this issue. Sorry but your talking bollocks. No hard feelings

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
What can you say when you see something like that. Its utterly disgusting and inhuman. Welcome to the new "Dark-Age".

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit

I wonder what it is about horrific stuff that makes us want to show other folk. Is there a name for that?

I mean, you mention that you're gonna have to meditate to get over watching that yourself, then you post it and go on about how bad it is, then say over and over that folk should NOT watch it, (even though it's posted). Then us curious folk go to look at it anyway. Then we get all upset and will probably meditate UNINTENTIONALLY ON the images we saw, till some new horror replaces them.
Why do we like shocking folk with horrible stuff? That's a real thing.

Anyway, whereabout in Africa is that?

You didn't have to watch it did you? I wasn't actually aware that stuff like this still happened (naively) so when I saw it , it shocked me and made me want to let people know about it. You DIDN'T have to watch the video to discuss the matter, the video was just proof for anyone who didn't believe it because without that video I would have had a hard time believing. If you read though my OP properly you can see that I actually beg people not to watch it and even mention about how it could sound like reverse psychology.

I posted this issue so that people are aware of it and can hopefully generate some positive feelings for the people going through this. Positive thinking about an issue can do more than most people think.

Its almost funny how as soon as one person has one pretty much made up thing to flame on, other people jump on the bandwagon. Not trying to provoke anything, just saying.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I am sorry. I have to say it. Those villagers didn't even have the decency to light a proper fire. Those poor people had to die slow, painful deaths because the fires were inadequate to the task.

I don't know which angers me the most, the vileness of the priests who advocated this, or the ignorance and stupidity of the villagers who carried it out. Like others have mentioned, I do not believe in treating violence with more violence, but I do have to admit that the first thing that came to my mind watching part of this was to nuke the whole place. Stupid, I know, but how do you find anything salvageable in such a hell hole??

I guess peace is the only answer, and to accomplish that may mean wiping out all forms of religion save Budhism.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
reply to post by jeanne75018

Very true. How do you go about educating a whole continent though? Also, I think it would probably be near on impossible to irradiate the superstition and fear that is most probably the cause of this and has most likely been imprinted in their society for aeons.

It could be done with 1/10 of the money we just spent on bailouts. imagine if we have a comprehensive program that included not only bringing them into the "modern" world fully, but a sexual health component. watch HIV infection rates drop worldwide. but, we can't have that, can we? as long as AIDS is out there, big pharm can make money trying to "cure" it.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
I guess peace is the only answer, and to accomplish that may mean wiping out all forms of religion save Budhism.

One of the many problems with that I guess is the fact that religion has done a LOT of good for a LOT of people. But also a lot of evil evidently. If people want to believe in fairy-tales thats up to them. (I'm not talking about any religion in specific) I believe in a personal relationship with god that is completely unique to any other individuals relationship with god.

To be honest I think that a lot of religious people do have a relationship with god and seek the good out of holy scriptures and such. But then there is people who only take the bad from scripture and judge and punish other people. That is wrong.

I do agree with you, the world would be a much better place without religion, but only if religion wasn't there in the first place. I think that if it was to get eradicated it would cause more problems than solve. Also it would be no-one but gods authority to carry out such an act.

Thanks for your input.
edit on 24-10-2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonseeker

Originally posted by TechUnique
reply to post by jeanne75018

Very true. How do you go about educating a whole continent though? Also, I think it would probably be near on impossible to irradiate the superstition and fear that is most probably the cause of this and has most likely been imprinted in their society for aeons.

It could be done with 1/10 of the money we just spent on bailouts. imagine if we have a comprehensive program that included not only bringing them into the "modern" world fully, but a sexual health component. watch HIV infection rates drop worldwide. but, we can't have that, can we? as long as AIDS is out there, big pharm can make money trying to "cure" it.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I didn't have to watch it, no. But my curiosity got the better of me.

I'm not having a go at you. I really do wonder what makes people want to show other people stuff like that? And I suppose there's the opposite side. What makes us look when folk warn us, "beg" us, not to?

It is extremely disturbing.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Well I don't know about other people but I wanted to raise awareness of the issue. I guess some people might do it subconsciously to share the grief they have just experienced watching something like this. I guess other people might post a video about a nation doing wrong because they hate the nation or race. (Definitely not me lol my Grandad is black just to clear that up)

I guess some people probably just want to make people feel sick also. I was honestly not trying to get people to watch it mate, I just posted the video as proof. I just wanted to discuss it because its a big debatable subject and I wanted to see if there was actually anything we could do about it, although now looking at it there probably isn't.

I really didn't want anyone who wasn't prepared to watch it to watch it so sorry if you did watch it unprepared, so did I so I feel for you

Thanks for your input mate,

-TechUnique

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

This is what happens when you teach black people about religion!

See my logic and how it didn't work? Yours too.

Any, I mean any, religion can teach people to do this. Any kind of people.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join