It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Witch Burning in Africa (Extremely Disturbing Video)

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by TechUnique

OK Tech, I am attempting to point out that the persecution of witches has been going on in some from or another since thousands of years before Christianity or Judaism,
The minute someone says witchcraft people immediately assume the Christians had something to do with it, even the Native Americans did away with tribal members they thought were witches, this superstition has been around forever, and no one knows how it started.

That's why I said on another topic, I believe that mans mind has evolved in such a way that religion, rituals and superstitions, including faith, have become a survival mechanism.

If afflicted by misfortune, many Gusii visit a diviner (abaragori) who may point to displeased spirits of the dead and prescribe sacrifice. In addition to abaragori, who are usually women, various healers also exist. Abanyamoriogi (herbalists) use a variety of plant mixtures for medicines. Indigenous surgeons (ababari) set fractures and treat backaches and headaches through trepanation (needles). Professional sorcerers (abanyamosira) protect against witchcraft and retaliate against witches. Omoriori, the witch smeller, finds witchcraft articles hidden in a house. Witches (omorogi) can be men or women, but are usually women. They are believed to dig up recently buried corpses to eat the inner organs and use body parts for magic. Among the Gusii, witchcraft is believed to be a learned art handed down from parent to child.

edit on 123131p://bMonday2010 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

Thank you, some people are still on track.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If there is a God...he/she/it would denounce all religions. It is the bastardization of religion (and therefore God) by man that makes it evil. If people would believe in God, and not religion, the world would be a better place. The bible speaks of the "end times" coming with an anti-christ which "woos" people to "his" way. Maybe, religion in general IS the anti-christ. Just a thought.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

this so does not look like a witch burning...

it looks more like a ritual right of passage.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Too many people on here have diarrhea of the mouth coupled with constipation of the brain.

Thanks for this post OP - it's horrible but needs to be seen before things can change for the better.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
Too many people on here have diarrhea of the mouth coupled with constipation of the brain.

Thanks for this post OP - it's horrible but needs to be seen before things can change for the better.

No problem

Although some people seem to think that my intentions of starting this thread were to bash Christians. Apparently I even instigated the bashing myself. This is far from the truth.

So what do you think we could do to help this issue? My thoughts have been completely sidetracked in this thread, I was beginning to lose hope..

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Do you truly believe posting a video on the internet is going to change anything? this is these people's world
they are not going to change because some college kid posted something on the internet. Does it ever dawn, on anybody as horrific as it may seem that they don't want our civility.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yeah I obviously chickened out.
I saw fire and was like, "yup this is legit, bye now"

It is not surprising, though it is disgusting. People have been doing this for centuries, and only a select few are elevated above the level of this kind of thing. Not based on religion, lack thereof, are of the world, or really anything but luck that we grew up not wanting to see ANYONE suffer this kind of pain.

Though I am ashamed of this community blaming this on religion. (judging from the first page only)
Especially Christianity. Yes, there are corrupt Christians, yes, there are many of them. But the religion in itself, despite having quite a few violent things in the actual preachings, still say NOT to do this to people.
It's really simple, and not something anyone should be ignoring, it is really not something someone can even pretend to justify away, despite how often people try to. Thou Shalt Not Kill (or Murder, depending on which era or version the bible quoted is from)
So explicitly, Christianity as a religion is not what caused this. It is Christianity as an organization or specific Christians as individual people you should be laying the blame on.
If Christianity was taught as a set of beliefs, without bias, strictly as it is written (since the major parts are near-identical in all formats, some use a slightly different word for translation as seen in the Murder/Kill situation) then this would not happen. If missionaries took the founding beliefs that are agreed upon as the foundation by more than just their own particular sect of Christianity, and taught those instead of whatever it is they are teaching that leads to witch burning....Then I do not see how this would happen. If everyone just sat down and went "hey, yeah, ok, these are the important parts, and the rest are just differences between churches, let's just tell people about these important parts" then so much of the damage that is done in the name of religion could be averted. So much of the non-Christian view of Christians would change.
I can't see many people of any religion or who are atheistic thinking "Don't steal, don't kill, don't be a jerk" is a BAD thing to believe. I can't see someone being taught such a thing deciding burning someone alive is a good thing to do.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth

Do you truly believe posting a video on the internet is going to change anything? this is these people's world
they are not going to change because some college kid posted something on the internet. Does it ever dawn, on anybody as horrific as it may seem that they don't want our civility.

College kid? Do you know anything about me as a person? No? Then please don't comment on such things. As for not being able to do anything... raising awareness of an issue that loads of people care about but would otherwise not have known about is the first stage of solving most problems. Raising awareness in this instance took form in the shape of posting this video.

Regardless of whether or not something you would consider solid happens in regards to this matter doesn't mean it has been a complete fail in my opinion. I believe that prayer and positive energy can go a long way in evil acts like this, awareness of such issues helps this

Although I agree with you that its their customs and some want it like that but the people being burnt surely don't want it?
edit on 25-10-2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I didn't mean you we're a college kid, I was speaking in general... I apologize, I didn't mean it as a slam against you. I find this video repugnant... but now matter how many of us view it, I doubt it is in any of our power to change things, no matter how far reaching this video is...

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Just to clarify, I said this on the first page of this thread;

If you go to the right churches and Christian communities, although they believe a lot of what the bible says they still have tolerance for other people and their life choices and choose not to judge them. The sad thing is that a lot (NOT ALL) of Christians and other religious groups believe that being in their club gives them the right to cast judgement on other people. This is wrong on so many levels.

So I don't see where the claims of me Ignorantly inciting religious hate came from. That was not the intention of this thread whatsoever. It just appears that as soon as someone mentions something bad about Christian's, the people who hate religion start a band wagon and all jump on it.

I accept some responsibility for this as I posted the thread but I refuse entertain anyone who thinks I am being hateful towards religion. That is not me, If you wish to make such claims please read through all my posts, quote the ones that incite religious hatred and then explain exactly how they do so.

Thanks,

-TechUnique

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Again, it wasn't directed to you personally, I didn't think you we're being all that hard on Religion, it was directed more towards the people who posted the one liners about Christianity being the cause of this ... I'm a Christian and I sick of the bashing. that we are all stupid, it just gets old. If you know what I mean?

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth

Again, it wasn't directed to you personally, I didn't think you we're being all that hard on Religion, it was directed more towards the people who posted the one liners about Christianity being the cause of this ... I'm a Christian and I sick of the bashing. that we are all stupid, it just gets old. If you know what I mean?

Yeah man, its cool. Sorry for jumping my guns so quickly
My mums a Christian on a side note.

I do agree with you that there is probably not a lot we can do physically but surely you understand as a Christian that prayer is a powerful tool

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Quote "Even if someone is a witch they do not deserve this kind of punishment. Infact if they are witches then God shall either punish them or reward them depending on where he stands on the situation."

Who says there is only one God? Who says God is male? Who says witches are evil? Man or God/s? The Bible was written by men...the Quran was written by man... what was it all about BC before Christ/Christianity or before the Quran was written, or before any religion came to be believed and used to strike fear in our needy hearts and control over what we can and cannot do or else?

There are cave drawings of worship, but not worship as most of you know it today, but worship of masculine and feminine deities who brought the sun, the moon, the seasons, the rain, helped the crops grow and gods for the hunt of food, for the basic of Life's and Earth's needs. Humans believed in what was, what is they were healthy in their souls, they were the first witches/old world pagans. What is evil about this? What you really need to be asking your selves is what is disturbingly evil about religions and what is done in the name of these new gods, what hatred is instilled, what atrocities are committed in the name of these new gods? There is nothing evil about witches or humans in general, it is when we begin to hate our differences, ourselves, each other because the world today is set up to manipulate the natural flow of our souls, make us greedy, hateful, vengeful, only we who resist no matter our beliefs and see the world for how it is are going to go unpunished. People are evil or not evil, no matter their beliefs, witches/pagans, Christians, Muslims etc we are all the same just believe different things, and there are good people and evil people in all beliefs, yet generally pagans/witches are in general some of the most beautiful souls in humanity because they hold humanity and mother earth in such high regard and just want to heal and make right everything that is so wrong in the world. Who are the sinners now?

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by catgtr33

Forgive me but what I said may not have correlated completely with my beliefs as I was in shock after watching this video. I believe we are all gods

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Oh no, I wasn't talking about you. The Community Here does not mean The OP.
I know that wasn't you, that was, however, a LOT of the posts on the first page.

I figured the post might have been misinterpreted, but I had to deal with dinner so I didn't have time to edit it.

Edit: now I am not even sure if you were talking about me. But if you were, then yeah. And if you weren't, but you were going to later because you just hadn't gotten around to my post yet, then here.
edit on 25-10-2010 by BiohazardsBack because: add

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BiohazardsBack

Don't worry I was talking about other people. Its good to here that not everyone thinks I hate Christians because of my comments.

Thanks,

-Tech

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

Forgive me but what I said may not have correlated completely with my beliefs as I was in shock after watching this video. I believe we are all gods

Strange you should make a statement like that, I think we are more powerful than we know, but we are trapped in this fragile human form until we have learned some valuable lessons, I know that there is more than this waiting for us on our journey, but we shall all see when we come to crossing that bridge.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Ok good

Well I have only read the first and last page, because I didn't really want to read almost 20 pages about this because it is gross and sad, I just wanted to try to point out that it isn't the religion that causes this, it is people's interpretation of it. I can't say for sure that you haven't been "one of those people" who were confusing Christianity with Some Christians, since I haven't read the whole thread, but it doesn't seem like it from the first and last page, so if you've been mostly consistent about your stance, then I doubt you were

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by catgtr33

Originally posted by TechUnique

Strange you should make a statement like that, I think we are more powerful than we know, but we are trapped in this fragile human form until we have learned some valuable lessons, I know that there is more than this waiting for us on our journey, but we shall all see when we come to crossing that bridge.

What I believe seems to correlate a lot with what you are saying. I would like to add that I think people like Jesus Christ and other religious figures and profits are merely people who have beem reincarnated more times than most people and have developed a wider picture of "The game".

Whats strange about my post?

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiohazardsBack

Ok good

Well I have only read the first and last page, because I didn't really want to read almost 20 pages about this because it is gross and sad, I just wanted to try to point out that it isn't the religion that causes this, it is people's interpretation of it. I can't say for sure that you haven't been "one of those people" who were confusing Christianity with Some Christians, since I haven't read the whole thread, but it doesn't seem like it from the first and last page, so if you've been mostly consistent about your stance, then I doubt you were

I really don't blame you, this thread has been completely derailed.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join