It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Day of the Devil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Just a short story inspired by a current thread here at ATS:

Inspirational thread

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Damien's day began much like the others before it for the past four years. His wife made him a giant breakfast, then kissed him goodbye as she handed him his lunch as he left for his job. He walked the thirteen city blocks to his office, where that particular day, he was not allowed upstairs due to fumigation. So he was sent back home, without pay, but he was allowed to put in for a personal day if he chose. Thinking of the child, he chose to do so and filled out the paperwork before walking back home.

It had suddenly become overcast, and from the riverfront a thick and choppy fog began filling the air and streets, making visibility low, and impossible at times. A metallic odor filled his nostrils, and struggling to stay on track he grasped in the thickness of the unatural blindness for the wall, a door, anything to escape and wait out this strange turn of events. Glowing red neon cut through for a second, and Damien followed the glow. He entered the little hole in the wall bar, which was nearly as dim as the fog, but after the door swung shut the patrons turned back to their beers and ignored the newcomer,which was nice.

Damien took a booth in the corner, and set his lunch upon the table. He opened his breifcase, and he glanced around for a waitress.Finally a pretty girl sauntered up to his table. She was portly, young and creamy, and she smiled at him, her grey eyes twinkling.

"Can I getcha a drink sir?" she asked, her voice gentle and child like. He smiled back, entranced, and ordered a beer.

Finally, he realized he had sat here for three beers and one scotch, and his bag of lunch, which he thought he had consumed, sat full in his briefcase now. He closed the case and tossed a few bills on the table. He hoped the fog had lifted, how long had he been sitting here anyway? Feeling confused, Damien pushed his way into the streets, and was relieved to see the sun shining and the city life going as usual.

"Hey Idiot outta the way!!" An angry bicycle courier cursed at him as he had to weave out in traffic to avoid a collision. Damien hurried up the sidewalk to the flat, and rushed up to the second floor where his wife and child awaited.

Why was the door ajar, he mused hazily, he knew he had closed it that morning....

"Shut the door, Damien ya let all the dust bunnies out...." came a voice from inside. The apartment was dark, the curtains closed, and scatterred about the floor were bodies, people in various states of dress and hygeine, some conversing, some just staring into space. He put his briefcase on the hall table, and pulled off his jacket.

"Where's Janet?" Damien asked, to no one in particular.

"You know where she's at Damien, where she always is at of the evening. She's at the store getting milk for the baby, Damien." Someone answered him.

Ah, yes, of course. How could he forget? He used the bathroom and then made his way onto the floor of the livingroom. Including the child, there were 13 of them here tonight.

"Did you bring us lunch again, Damien?" someone asked.

"Of course, it is in my briefcase. Let me get it for us," Damien offered.

Time passed, in long wavy ribbons, until it was 3:33 a.m. and Damien awoke, stiff and slightly woozy, on the floor. It was silent....

"Eh...whaa....aaahhh...."

The tiny voice of a child was wimpering from the bedroom.

"Aaaa...waaa..."

Oh, Damien though, I have to feed the baby...

Trying to remain quiet, Damien stood, but bumped into one of the bodies on the floor, who grumbled and awoke several more people. From the crack in the curtain a bluish grey light filtered in and spotlighted Damien. He heard a woman scream,

"It's the Devil!!! He's Come for us!!"

Mayhem ensued as the people in terror began flinging themselves from the windows, until all that was left was Damien, and the cries of the child.

"Daddy's coming..." Damien said, and headed towards the child's bedroom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Damn crazy squatters," Officer King mumbled, as he and his partner stood outside the flat, among firetrucks and emts.

The call came in at approximately 3:30 that morning, a hysterical lady screaming about the Devil, and how he had finally come for them.

When officers arrived, they found hysterical, bloddy but alive people who all told the same tale, the Devil had been in the apartment and was going to kill them.

"I know what happened, I have been here once before, the day this man's wife dumped him. She had to call us so she could get the kid, he was holed up in the bedroom and didn't want to let her have him. But he surrendered after she lied and said she would come back and visit. Ever since, the man has pretended to go off to work each day, he eventually took in some squatters to earn a bit of cash. They ususally do crack, but I am thinking they got ahold of some of this new stuff called '___', the spirit drug. One of our dealers here in the hood overbought the stuff, and has been pushing it as crack to the homeless. Real piece of work. I bet these bums all whacked out on the stuff, and went crazy." He watched his new partner, Officer Reynolds, a plain but intelligent young lady rookie.

"OK, I buy it, but which one is Damien again?" she asked.

"He was the one we found in the bedroom holding the kitten like it was his baby. He'll do 72 at State and come right back here to squat. Hell they all will eventually."

"Well if they thought they were doing crack where are all the baggies?" Officer Reynolds asked. Officer King frowned, dismissing her statement outright.

"Oh who knows? Probably threw them away, the man still thinks he lives the same life he lived six m0nths ago, besides, what else could it be?" he asked.

"Demon possession?" she replied, to which he scoffed.

"Let's get outta here, I'll drive. We got better things to do, Rookie. "

As they pulled away, Officer Reynolds glanced up at the window and gasped.

The face of a Demon was watching her!!

"What is it?" Officer King grunted, wondering if she hadn't snorted something that night. Seeing his expression, and then looking back and seeing an empty window, Officer Reynolds shuddered, and shook her head.

"Nothing, just creeped out thats all." she said as they drove off.

"Best buck up young lady, tonight was lame and tame compared to what we normally encounter."

Officer Reynold's would be a cop for twenty more years, yet this case would remain the creepiest, and in her mind, unsolved crime she had ever worked. She never bought the dmt excuse, but the very next day the case was closed, and the day of the devil as the tabloids had called it, came to an end.

join