It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Exploration from my backyard.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I don't know if this is the right place or not so please feel free to move it if it is not.

I have always been fascinated by the night sky and now that my children are a little older I was going to try to give them a look into the heavens above us as well. I live in a nice rural part of Georgia where the skies are not polluted with city lights. I would like some insight from you folks that are backyard astronomers. I am looking for two things mostly but any other tidbits you have to offer would be great as well.

1. I would like to find a nice source of reading to do some research. I would like to be able to explain to my kids what they are seeing. I am a novice myself so please no technical reading right off the bat.

2. A telescope. I have looked at many online and I can honestly say that I am in no way educated enough to make a decision on what kind to get. I would love to take pictures of what I see and be able to see distant objects. I would like to be able to see the spot on Jupiter, the rings of Saturn etc. I don't know if that is really a viable option but that is something I am looking for. I would like the unit to be somewhat mobile so I can take it out in the field, something that is easy to assemble and deal with in a dark environment. Under $1000 would be perfect.

Hopefully this post is in the right place and you folks could lead me in the right direction.

Thanks
edit on 23-10-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-10-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: grammar police called

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I would love to have my own telescope, who knows maybe one day. I cannot personally make a recommendation but know someone who can.

Good luck.

Check your U2U please.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
I would love to have my own telescope, who knows maybe one day. I cannot personally make a recommendation but know someone who can.

Good luck.

Check your U2U please.

Thank you. ^^^^^^^^^
edit on 23-10-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I just bought a Meade ETX 90, first scope and love it. Super easy to use for a beginner, I know where the basics are in the sky, but the built in computer has something like 11,000 objects. Moon views are gorgeous, Jupiter and Saturn crystal clear...have not been in a dark enough area to try for deep field images. Thats my 2 cents! Good luck.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BigFrigginAl

Thank you for the info. I will have to take a look at that model.

new topics

top topics

join