It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebrity Culture and Societies Degradation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I appreciate the arts, I love film, TV, music and books like most people, I enjoy the occasional trip to the theatre or art gallery and I am in awe of the skill of the world’s greatest athletes. Although I have an appreciation from these arts and gain enjoyment from them on the whole I detest what they have collectively become. It’s long since gone beyond providing entertainment and has evolved into a business that we call the “entertainment industry”. The face of this industry is a mosaic of aesthetically pleasing masks covering a collectively ignorant mind controlled only by finical gain and the ultimate social status of “celebrity”.

In the western world it now seems that the status of “celebrity” has became akin to that of the God status. We look to these people with their plastic faces and hollow minds that are motivated by greed as role models, a task they are neither suitable for nor capable of. This status of theirs is promoted by a media that has long since given up on reporting real news in favour of religiously following the lives of celebrities. The more media attention they get the more attention is drawn away from the real issues that we should really be concerning ourselves with.

This role model responsibility that society has placed upon the celebrity status has either been ignored by the celebrities or abused. Celebrities are the worst possible role model for any society, especially the young who look up to them with such admiration. Celebrities glamorise sex, drug abuse, degradation of women, promote ignorance and ultimately all of the people in society, they are not fit for purpose.

It appears that celebrities actively sexualise themselves like high end prostitutes, this is intimidated by those in society who are infatuated with the cult of celebrity. As a result society has become increasingly shallow, the measure of man is no longer his morals but his appearance and as a result morality has lost its place in society in favour of casual sex, and the other morally deprived actions advocated by the celebrity.

The celebrity cult has also once again reduced the status in women in society who are overtly objectified by both sexes in the celebrity world. Whether it be a rapper boosting about his sexual exploits with his “bitch” or a female singer selling her albums not by her voice but by parading herself half naked all over TV. Again this has become inter-wound into our every day life’s and it is now accepted that women are objects of sex.

It seems the term “'n-word'” has made it back into society this time through popular music although it still conjures up images of 1960’s American racism and slavery it is tolerated even by those who it should offend most. Narcotics use another decedent pastime glorified by the celebrities who excuse themselves through the biased and ignorant press. Then we have the violence portrayed in movies, music and video games in such a way that it appears almost fashionable to shoot ones fellow man or bash his head in with a bat.

It sickens me to know that Footballers can earn £90,000 per week and have the respect of thousands yet a front line solider fighting in Afghanistan might be on less than £20,000 per year yet is doing a significantly more important job than any footballer ever will yet nobody knows his name or sacrifice.

I have noticed this get progressively worse over the years, I fail to see why it is that society is fascinated by a group of people who are motivated by selfish desires and greed. It only seems appropriate on ATS to suggest that this may be caused by some type of mass brain washing of the masses or a symptom of the NWO’s plans however I do not think this is true. Rather I think that it is just a symptom of the nature of man we always seem to want more and are for the most incapable of a humble status. Greed is what is fuelling this ultimately evil and corrupt culture that we have developed.

The celebrities want to get rich by flaunting there mediocre talent and beautiful yet plastic faces. Their producers, agents, directors and just about everyone else in this entertainment industry want to get rich by prostituting the celebrities. The ignorant masses who follow them seek similar riches and so they imitate the celebrates in everything they do in attempt to find similar rich’s because they, like most of man are inherently greedy and lazy. Becoming a celebrity by going on a 12 talent competition is a much essayer and lazier way to achieve riches without having to go through the challenge of working through a university course or career ladder. These people who worship these celebrities as a collective omnipotent being are fundamentally greedy and lazy.

Celebrities do make some contribution to a society in helping to shame our culture however it is my opinion that doctors, religious leaders, troops, scientists and so on make a much more significant contribution to our communities and should there for be respected and paid in the same way as celebrities. Celebrity culture has created a society where the ignorant and selfish are leading and breading the selfish and ignorant.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
We in the Uk have been subject to the promotion of Extrinsic values since the early 80's, It was promoted by Margret Thatcher has beren used in advertising and media ever since. The promotion of the ideas of gaining rewards and fame and of individual gain have seeped into our national psyche.

People no longer want to just sing just because they enjoy it, now they see it as a ticket to fame with the reward of financial gain.

It is interesting to look at Extrinsic and Intrinsic motivations to see why things are the way they are.

Extrinsic Motivation
Whenever we encourage someone to do something in exchange of a reward, we are extrinsically motivating them. In simpler terms, their motivation should come from external stimuli, such as a money bonus for example.
The financial crisis has shown that these extrinsic motivations do not actually produce the results we expect from them. We would expect people to improve in performance if we give them the proverbial carrot to chase. Using the proverbial stick to ‘punish’ unwanted behavior has the same counter-intuitive effect.
Our society is drenched with extrinsic motivation. From a young age, we are given rewards and punishments for wanted and unwanted behavior respectively. It is no wonder we don’t know better than to use extrinsic motivation to get what we want from others…
Intrinsic Motivation
The opposite of extrinsic motivation is intrinsic motivation. It is the motivation we get from inside ourselves, without any other external rewards, when doing something.
Intrinsic motivation is what drives people to play an instrument, do sports, learn photography, etc, without ever having a chance to make a single dime from their efforts. Their intrinsic motivation consists of a form of fulfillment they get when pursuing the activity.
This intrinsic motivation is hardly used by entrepreneurs, executives and managers. While we all know what it is, because we all have activities we do without any gain other than personal fulfillment

www.jessemeijers.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Thanks for the information about Thatcher, I agree with you that people now sing for fame and money rather than enjoyment or even talent for that matter.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

I see the effects on the youth in my region every day, everything is hyperdramatic even though it's just mundane routine life and they spend more time promoting themselves as fashion models, actors, (and yes - even sexual props) and chasing after a dream of being magically discovered by some talent scout at any moment.

I love my younger friends, but it concerns me how obsessed and single-minded they've become in trying to maintain their lives as some sort of reality show. Their relationships suffer, their bodies suffer from all the dieting, drinking and drug use - and I worry when they hit their 30's and stone cold reality comes steamrolling into their lives with the "sorry, kid - game over. you're no longer being catered to by our demographics department, so get to work." - very few of them will survive the transition.

...and I think whomever is controlling the media aspects of social conditioning knows this.

Throw up a waifish, half starved glamourous role model who is heavily into abusing her system and watch as legions of little girls starve and sacrifice their health, their future careers, their relationships, etc...trying to attain a image that is - at it's core - a recipe for slow death (mental, spiritual, physical).

The whole of that side of the entertainment industry is cranking out a lifestyle emulation program that leaves everyone behind the scenes with "clean hands". Of course, it's not their fault if some kid decides to follow the white rabbit, is it? It was their own "choice".

But this methodology by "the Business" isn't new by any means.
Just more in our faces in many respects.

My generation went through the glamourization of Heroin, and it took many people (mostly suburban party kids) out of the picture instantly, and left countless thousands addicted for the rest of their lives.

It's sick.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

I think this mostly affects the younger generations round about under 30 but your probably correct in saying that those who control the media know what affect this is having on society and they are using that to there advantage.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Well I have my favorite actors, musicians and thinkers. I just don't buy into the starry eyed adoration. I feel sorry for some of these people as when they are exposed as having feet of clay - and why should they be otherwise? The idiots and fantasists want to lynch them.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Don’t get me wrong so do I. However most of them are actors, authors or dead people and I don’t try to imitate them.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I know. I wasn't attacking. I hatge the spin off of celerity culture which is reality TV. Why can't we see a decent drama or even a cartoon... Reality TV stinks!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

No other takers oh well.... another thread destined for the vast waste land of the internet.

new topics

top topics

join