It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nazca-SA Tectonic Plate Boundary is Freaking Out With Quakes!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks TA for this and all that work you put in!

I know that quakes happen all the time along faults, but in this case I think you've got something here: that looks like some major motion to me.

I just fear the 8+ in Chile was minor compared to what might hit next.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RedCairo

RedCairo: That is an interesting idea - we humans are still animals, so why shouldn't some portion of us be sensitive to impending quakes like so many other animals are? The examples of this sensitivity in the animal world are well documented, to the point where science is trying to harness that mechanism for an early warning system for quakes.

The issues you point out about issuing warnings are dead on too.

My girlfriend and I were living in a tiny town well inland in 2004 when hurricane Charley approached the west coast of Florida. The warning went out that it was expected to hit the Tampa Bay area, well to our north and west.

Charley was the strongest hurricane to hit the US since Andrew hit south Florida.

On Friday the 13th, 2004, Charley suddenly changed course inland and increased its forward speed, and hit Punta Gorda, FL - well south of Tampa - then it went right up route 17, devastating the small cities of Punta Gorda, Cleveland, Fort Ogden, Nocatee, Arcadia, Zolfo Springs, Bowling Green, and Wauchula

My girlfriend and I hunkered down and road it out at home; we knew the major highways would be a mess as so many west coasters tried to move inland (they didn't realize Charley was now going to miss them) and also because it's about an hour from where we lived to the first major interstate, and the storm was moving fast.

My point is, because of a miss-diagnosed prediction of when and where it would strike, most of us in west-central Florida were cut off by evacuees from Tampa and surrounding areas far north of us.

And it's a helluva lot easier to predict a hurricane than an earth quake.

Note: That year, 2004 was a doozy - within 6 weeks of Charley hitting us we had two more hurricanes make direct hits - hurricanes Frances and Jeanne. Nobody predicted them accurately until mere hours were left. After Jeanne we moved and sold the property - there wasn't a helluva lot left of it by then.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
hi guys....great thread. i have been following the rising amount of events in regard to the pacific for about 2 years now.

* if your prediction is correct it actually has a bearing on me living here in australia. apparently with what i have read our greatest threat comes from a large earthquake anywhere along the western side of the american continent. this could trigger a large tsunami that would travel across the pacific and slam into the eastern side of australia. (im based near the blue mountains in the sydney region).

* a second point of interest goes to the talk about warning systems. i can remember earlier this year, in about jan/feb a large earthquake setting of tsunami warnings right across the pacific. it was very late evening here when the quake happened and i was aware of the warnings. given we had at least 8-10 hour warning my plan was to sleep till 6am then reassess what the level of threat was. there are a few nations like samoa, tonga, fiji and new zealand between south america and us, so i gauged our threat level of what had happened to them and they only had minor waves in the region of a few centimetres. i decided it wasnt time to throw the family in the car and leave as i am 50klm from the ocean. but to my amazement, people started HEADING towards the ocean. they all wanted to see what was going to happen. bondi beach - australia's most famous beach - was closed but the life savers had a difficult time in dealing with the crowds and keeping them off the beach. even though it was being broadcast on all news services, it really was treated as a bloody big joke. god help us if a big one ever really does head our way.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Based upon the pressure points, I will even go out on a limb and attempt to predict where I think the next big one there will happen, which might be right about here:

Just a feeling, from looking at these maps...

Brother, you pointed the border between Chile and Peru in your prediction. That's very important to me, I have many friends there. Can you explain to me how you made that conclusion? I'd like to give them a warning right now, but will need the details of your prediction. If you are right, it may save lives so be fast.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7de59f133fc5.gif[/atsimg]

not a huge one but its in your area TA.

Magnitude
Date-Time
Sunday, October 24, 2010 at 10:46:43 UTC
Sunday, October 24, 2010 at 06:46:43 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
28.1 km (17.5 miles)
Region
POTOSI, BOLIVIA
Distances
45 km (30 miles) W of Tupiza, Bolivia
130 km (80 miles) SSE of Uyuni, Bolivia
145 km (90 miles) NNW of Abra Pampa, Jujuy, Argentina
590 km (365 miles) SSE of LA PAZ, Bolivia
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 16.6 km (10.3 miles); depth +/- 26.5 km (16.5 miles)
Parameters
NST= 29, Nph= 30, Dmin=310.6 km, Rmss=0.47 sec, Gp=176°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source
USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
us2010cua1

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Good research, but warning people are pointless, too much things are overdue and you can't expect people to run away now. The main thing is. IF YOUR WORRIED ABOUT EARTHQUAKES DON'T LIVE NEAR FAULT LINES.. Earthquakes are impossible to predict but u can google fault lines.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
OK...

Part of the Nazca equasion also includes parts of Ecquador, and the Central American Istmas.

From the Cascade mountains on down through the istmas and to the most southern most parts of S. America we have a veritable mountanous wall of Volcanoes. The S. American wall consists basically of Peru, Chile, and Ecquador.

This offshore location near ecqador has a slew of 5.0+ earthquakes, and alot of volcanoes nearby.

This rather large underwater islet apears to be centered around Ecquador's earthquake activity - interestingly I didn't find a name for it on Google Earth.

The APEX of TA's map apears here, at the boarder of Peru and Chile. Obviously - something gives, and look at all the volcanoes!.

Further south, we then have the Chile Basin:

Which too is overlooked by another rather large grouping of volcanoes.

I think you're onto something big TA.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
california has to be next.

im no geologist, but i can follow a line.

aand there just so happens to be little squares all the way up that line....

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

earthquake.usgs.gov...

All up and down the juncture, quakes have been occurring recently. This suggests more than just aftershocks from the recent Chile 8+ quake. It suggests a major adjustment of the plate, at least to me.

Time will tell, but this is clearly one area to watch.

Normally you would expect aftershocks from a big quake like the one we saw in Chile. And we did, and still are, near the epicenter. But this is going way beyond just aftershocks in the immediate epicenter area. You can even see the opposite edges of the plates, and other boundaries reacting to this readjustment.
edit on Sat Oct 23rd 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

Edgar Cayce is best known for his predictions regarding coming earth changes. Among other things, Cayce warned of a pole shift who’s process would start in 2001-2002. The interesting part is what you're saying is going to happen just might according to one (or many) of his predictions...... like the following:

.......More Earth Change Readings

The earth will be broken up in many places. The early part will see a change in the physical aspect of the west coast of America. There will be open waters appear in the northern portions of Greenland. There will be new lands seen off the Caribbean Sea, and dry land will appear. South America will be shaken from the uppermost portion to the end, and in the Antarctic off Tierra Del Fuego, land and a strait with rushing water........[/I]

Source Here

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Speaking of earthquakes, I think the elite are preparing and building underground shelters for the chosen few.

In the past week there have been 44 earthquakes just north of Little Rock, Arkansas. This is an area that hardly ever gets earthquakes.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

ALL of the "earthquakes" have been at a depth of 3 miles or less. VERY shallow for earthquakes.

More like a depth for some very large underground blasting.

Also take note of the longitude and latitude. They are almost identical.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite

www.nealadams.com...
You missed the memo...

I seen that Neal Adams theory a few years ago when he only had Vid #0 on, and it was pretty believable even then.
Now with all the extra stuff on the Moon, Mars, Ganymede and some of the other Planets Moons and more detailed stuff on India, the Great Lakes, the Eurasian Seas its even more convincing.

I need to get my head around his "folding mountains" part though, both the Andes and the Kermadec Ridge on opposite sides of the Pacific Spreading Plate seem to work in a similar fashion, but without subduction how do you explain how the earthquakes get deeper the further inland from the edges of the upper crust (continents) you go

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Hey seriously, thanks to all who have replied with great info here.

One of the fascinating things to look at is another event query for 4.0+ quakes from January 1, 2010 to February 26, 2010. On Feb 26, here is how things looked for scientists. Little did they know that the very next day, one of the largest quakes ever recorded was about to rip apart the Chilean coastline with an 8.8!

It appears that all the warning they might have had was a couple of smaller quakes very close to the epicenter of what was getting ready to happen. And I suppose this furthers the lesson that once quakes occur in a spot and activity starts- to be on the lookout for additional imminent activity.

As you can see the big quake in Haiti had recently occurred. Should they have taken any clues from this that a counter adjustment further south might be imminent? And worse, should we be taking clues from all of this that further adjustments will be forthcoming? If so, then where? Well, I put in my guess...Anyone else wanna post theirs?

So beyond that even, it is very interesting to compare the time periods and quakes that have occurred since the big 8.8. If you look closely between the query maps, you can see how activity appears to be increasing in the very prediction circle and north of there. Should we be taking a clue?

I dunno. Time will tell.

Here is the Sept 1 to Oct 23 map again, so you can more easily see what I am saying:

edit on Sun Oct 24th 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Hi Muzzy,
His analysis of the South American continent needs some data and supporting evidence...he seems to assume "we" know all of it already...that is my criticism.
He wrote the western side seabed-rifting is massive and pushing against the region in the OP. Where is the analysis though?
I want to find out more about the rifting...

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Very interesting. Earthquakes are really difficult to predict. Does the incidence of more quakes mean there is a big one coming or does it mean that pressure has been released thus lessening the chance of a big quake?

I dont think the experts know for sure.

I really worry about the California coast. There have been some really big quakes there in the past and its not a matter of if, but when the next big one will strike. The populations of these areas are huge and would no doubt do tremendous damage.

The Bay area hasnt had a 6.0 or higher since 89'(7.1) and it seems like when they get a quake its a big one.

I hope you are wrong but history shows that these quakes will keep coming.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Well, one of the things I am going to do is start pulling event queries for bigger quakes only. First 5's +, then 6+.

Since those release so much more energy, there might be some patterns that could emerge....

Unfortunately, query is down right now. Networks are still in trouble- tech probs...

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

So your theory, and thats just what it is, is that a bigger quake will hit the region.

Perhaps the person brushed you off as he may be on the other end thinking that these are domino effects to elevate stress and that nothing more will come of it.

But then .. that won't give you the hits or attention you seek based on your scientific observation.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well, i have just remembered a converatoin I had once with an friend, back in mid-may this year... She said that there will be a "big one" scale 9+, Chilean north...
Ok a little context. She's been all her life the kind of mystical person she is now, she says she recieves messages from her "guides" and talks about aura, and inner energy and lots of new age stuff...
I, for one, think shes honest with her prediction, but she offers nothing to back up her claims, except her word... but she did mention something about being in a certain part of the country between the 5th and 21 of each month, that she would be safe there, and her familly as well...
weird, after reading the op. made me remember all this talk i had with her that time...
and, if it turns out like that, well, the eq from feb 27 would be nothing compared with the one coming...
oh, she didn't say when, just where and between the above mentioned dates, no month or year thou'...

edit on 24/10/10 by Jim.Hero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

Thanks for that.

And the volcano issue raises a point. Yeah, there are a ton of volcanoes there, no doubt. But I suppose one thing to keep in mind is that huge quakes are not generally the product of volcanoes, or those processes. They are usually more the product of tectonics, which is more my focus with this topic. However, if something like Yellowstone or Toba went off again (supervolcanoes) we might see some big quakes like that.

No doubt tectonic quakes can affect the volcanoes though. So sure, it is somewhat tied together in that sense.

And this difference is one reason I really want to start pulling queries on the bigger quakes, to help separate the two, and hopefully be able to see a clearer picture. But even then I realize it will still be nothing more than a glimpse into blurry speculation.

Those that come into the thread trying to point that out to me by cutesy remarks to remind me of my junk science are just simply no fun! Don't ya think?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
TA, nothing wrong with doing some research and see what comes up

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Yeah, thanks.

So since I have found this little query-plot thingy, I am having hella fun pulling different queries for quakes all over the place and with different magnitudes- and over different date ranges.

So here is one that was pretty interesting to me. It is all quakes worldwide 8+ mag from 1-1-2000 to 10-25-10. That's nearly 11 years of the biggest quakes at a glance.

I thought it was curious that they are all shallow, except for one. And that is the selected yellow one.

But perhaps an even bigger issue is the LACK of any big quakes 8 or over all through Alaska, the west coast, and all down central America. Pressure has been building. And the scientists have been screaming it for at least a decade that the big one is coming.

You may also notice another big quake close to the prediction circle. The funny thing is, and I swear to God, I had no idea that had even occurred when I made that prediction. I told you, this is junk science! That quake happened June 23, 2001. Back in 2001 I knew earthquakes in general existed, and that's about it. Just gotten into this last couple years.

But since that did occur about 9 years ago, the good news is that major stress was relieved. The bad news is that once a quake that big has occurred somewhere- what that says is that yes, whatever is down there can do it again at that spot or close to it. The mechanism to produce that big a quake is there. But chances are, it probably won't for a while.

So in light of that quake, it looks like the big 8.8 further south may have been the equilibrium to that quake. Leaving the north and south extremes of the entire west coast of South America as the more likely places for the next big one there. So I'll change my prediction for those spots instead. Either the very southern tip of Chile, or the coast of North Peru, coast of Ecuador, maybe coast of Columbia. But since the trend seems to be headed south, the southern tip of Chile could be it.

It was 9 years or so between the big ones, if that means anything. 2020? Nah, we all die in 2012, remember?

ETA: Quake on the west Chile Rise, 5.4 just happened. I know that's southwest, but at least we're moving south!

earthquake.usgs.gov...
earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on Mon Oct 25th 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Magnitude 5.4
Date-Time Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 02:08:29 UTC
Monday, October 25, 2010 at 08:08:29 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 41.492°S, 85.710°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region WEST CHILE RISE
Distances 990 km (620 miles) W of Castro, Los Lagos, Chile
1065 km (660 miles) SSW of San Juan Bautista, Juan Fernandez Is.
1605 km (990 miles) SW of SANTIAGO, Region Metropolitana, Chile
2490 km (1540 miles) WSW of BUENOS AIRES, D.F., Argentina

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 11.3 km (7.0 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST=126, Nph=126, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=1.37 sec, Gp= 76°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=8
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usa00044he

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join