It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those poor people. When did we stop caring?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Uh, oh. This is my first controversial post. I'm scared of the flaying I might receive.

I used to live in Florida, and I stayed in a rented house for a year which was located on the same street as the city's homeless shelter. Over the course of that year, I went from feeling somewhat sorry for the homeless population to basically hating them all. Everyday I left my house I got asked for money, by the same people for a year. Some of them are quite pushy, or act nice and then curse you out when you say no. You could see them eyeing you from across the street and then they'd hunt you down. And if you ever made the mistake of giving them anything, you received no thanks, but usually were asked for more, or "that's all?".

I worked a nightmarish office job that I hated for two years because I needed the money and everyday that I drove to work there were homeless people on every corner and every interstate off-ramp. After a day of misery, sitting in my car at the red light on the interstate off-ramp, having a BUM come tapping at my window asking for money, watching others give him money as if its a good thing, knowing that he probably made more money standing on that corner doing nothing than I did all day at my crap job; it became infuriating.

I will admit that some of them were disabled verterans or legitamately mentally ill, but a lot of them were just BUMS. They made enough money to survive by begging and living in the streets and the shelter. They got hand outs all the time, they were never grateful, if anything they resented us for trying to make a living and being decent people. They always wanted more. They felt entitled.

I'd walk from my house along the side of a park and there'd be somebody bathing naked in the city-water run-off creek. And then ask me for money as I went by. The same guy everyday. Eventually they learned not to ask me. I didn't feel pity, I was disgusted.

It's hard to describe to someone who hasn't been around a lot of homeless people. They aren't necessarily all the "less fortunate". Your pity fades and you start to detest them. I stopped caring after about two weeks of dealing with them on a daily basis.

I'm not talking about third world country poor, that's a different inescapable situation. I'm talking about the people here who don't want to work, just get free hand-outs, just get free welfare and then demand more without thanks, while I have to go out and support myself however possible.

So if you feel so bad for them, go volunteer at the homeless shelter, I think your opinion will change.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
When the economy melts down or government breaks down who do you think are going to survive? The people with money? In a way I feel sorry for the homeless because a lot of times it's not their choice when you fall onto really bad times, whoever said it's easy to make it big and have money is full of BS... On the other hand though I don't feel sorry at all because they are urban survivalists and when SHTF these people have a few years experience already under their belt....

So true my friend.

star!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by oblivionous

At least your honest.

But what about if you upset the wrong person in life, you could find that one day you would be homeless. In uk and usa this goes on, and gov and police etc do these things. So who knows why those are on the streets.

Things are never as simple as 1 +1 = 2. There are alot of evil scum behind the scenes, that get paid to put people into that situation.

Who knows what percentage of people on the streets where forced there, by pure scum in gov or police, trying to wreck there lifes.

Evil is not a word strong enough, for the filth in gov and police doing that to people, while they sleep in there warm bed.

edit on 10/24/2010 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by oblivionous
Uh, oh. This is my first controversial post. I'm scared of the flaying I might receive.

I worked a nightmarish office job that I hated for two years because I needed the money and everyday that I drove to work there were homeless people on every corner and every interstate off-ramp. After a day of misery, sitting in my car at the red light on the interstate off-ramp, having a BUM come tapping at my window asking for money, watching others give him money as if its a good thing, knowing that he probably made more money standing on that corner doing nothing than I did all day at my crap job; it became infuriating.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

He probably did. Thousands of cars probably pass a day. And all they need is a buck from a small percentage of them.

The reason they dont get a job or part time job is probably because they do make more money handling then if they worked minimum wage.....

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

So I only read the original post and if this has been posted before I am sorry. But I think Rise Against ReEducation Through Labor says it best:

To the sound of a heartbeat pounding away
To the rhythm of the awful rusted machines
We toss and turn but don't sleep
Each breath we take makes us thieves
Like causes without rebels
Just talk but promise nothing else

We crawl on our knees for you
Under a sky no longer blue
We sweat all day long for you
But we sow seeds to see us through
The sometimes dreams just don't come true
We wait to reap what we are due

To the rhythm of a time bomb ticking away
And the blare of the sirens combing the streets
Chased down like dogs we run from
Your grasp until the sun comes up

We crawl on our knees for you
Under a sky no longer blue
We sweat all day long for you
But we sow seeds to see us through
Find More lyrics at www.sweetslyrics.com
The sometimes dreams just don't come true
Look now at what they've done to you

White needles buried in the red
The engine roars and then it gives
But never dies
'Cuz we don't live
We just survive
On the scraps that you throw away

I won't crawl on my knees for you
I won't believe the lies that hide the truth
I won't sweat one more drop for you
'Cuz we are the rust upon your gears
We are the insects in your ears
We crawl
We crawl
We crawl... all over you

We sow the seeds to see us through
Our days are precious and so few
We all reap what we are due
A judge's sky no longer blue
We bring the dawn all over new
We crawl
We crawl
We crawl... all over you

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ker2010

That's true too a lot of these pan handlers make upwards and over $1000 a week, in reality though those guys are working just like anybody else and a lot are living the good life I used to live in Tucson AZ and I saw them EVERYWHERE.... I often wondered what I'd make in a week with a cardboard sign and a squeegy (don't know how to spell it) I learned to distinguish these guys from the truly homeless though so they never got a buck from me....

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

At least you understand there truly are alot of these people in real turmoil, not prof people using this as a way to earn money.

I wonder do any of the people upset by being put out by these people in real problems, ever consider what it is like.

Who knows what animals in power may of put them there.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Thats it i have no problem helping someone who is down on their luck and really needs the help. But someone taking advantage of peoples generosity i have a problem with. Which is why when i do give a buck or two i hope its to the right person.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no... I mean when you're on the streets begging for money I would imagine you'd probably feel ashamed to do so and probably be thankful when someone does throw you a buck.. These guys do it everyday all day and take your money without a thought or feeling about it, these guys IMHO have no conscience and probably feel no sympathy for anyone....

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Most homeless are that way of their own accord...

Do you know how many rich people i know who were once homeless? Lots of them.... The difference between them and those still homeless? Personal authority and drive. That's it.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
When did we start caring?
That's what I'd like to pinpoint.

- Lee

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Remember, the few control the many on this planet. Once that changes, if ever, big changed will occur in every aspect of our existence. Unfortunately money makes this world go around, so you have to deal with that. I think there are great people trying to do great things, like Paul Hellyer's new book 'light at the end of the tunnel', and '
the venus project'.

I see bums every day and give them money when I'm able to, but don't go assuming that bums are always hard up and have it rough. There are often times 2, and even 3 different bums standing under the walmart sign where I live asking for money. Since I don't know anything about the people, I give them money if I am able. But I know that there have been people in my area, two actually being a couple with a VERY nice house and vehicles, posing as poor people and making a living asking for money on the street every day to pay for their hobbies and lifestyle. They didn't have to work! I also know of an experiment in NY a few years ago where a man lived for one year on the street as a bum and made over 50 THOUSAND dollars. The people I give money to sometimes could easily be taking advantage of people that actually live on less money than they do! This has become pretty popular lately among people willing to drop their morals to take advantage of people that actually work for a living. Think about it. Where I live, those people probably get 1 dollar on average from every few cars that pull out of or into walmart. They stand there for more than 8 hours a day, sometimes from morning until night. I would to once I found out how much money I could make. So over the course of the day 1 dollar from 1 or 2 hundred people comes out to 700 to over a 1000 dollars a week!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

The issue is we expect people to care for us when we don't care for ourselves...

The reason why the middle class is disappearing is because they continued to follow the same beleifs as the poor....

Silly middle class, wealth is for the enlightened!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Survival on the mean cold streets can be very hard. Picking through a trash bin when hunger overpowers any thoughts of shame or modesty. An Uncertain future and a Hardening of Emotions because nobody seems to care. Hope and Despair, Want and Need can chase a person to apathy, crime and degradation. No respect, No power, No wealth-Nothing and yet many who live on the streets Seek Each Other out for mutual support and help. A bond of friendship based on cooperation not on competition. No electricity no running water-improvisation. Using what limited resources and mental acuity to last the day in search of food and shelter. More than conditioning to subsist on little but a way of life. To beg, steal or work to stave off hunger, to deal with emotional ups and downs as well as psychological depression- survival on the mean cold streets can be very hard indeed. "Those poor people. When did we stop caring?"-those people who should have stepped up did not, if they did step up, things would be different. Whatever the reason for not doing what is right be it Greed, Power, or Selfish Pursuit, Consequences are Inevitable and can not be Escaped. Hope this story has a good End.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

This just a common misconception of reality, when did we stop caring? The truth is we never cared to begin with, how do you stop doing something if you haven't done it yet?

Being homeless in North America is one thing but being in a third world is another. I was born in Iraq and I have seen some real homeless people. They don't have charities giving them food or water, it is about 30-40 degrees Celsius constant, and having sand in your underwear doesn't help the feeling.

Us here have it like kings whether you could afford a home or not, whether you could afford food or not, whether you have water in your home or not. Because we have the option of getting welfare, charities, food drives.

One thing I will tell you about those places is the stress level is much lower then it is here. They have 2-3 bills to pay whereas we get bills when the mailman comes, which is everyday.

There will be a day when we, as well as our kids, will be running this country. When these dragons retire will things be any different? Up to us.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Very good point. I shudder when I think about the average American family on any given urban/suburban street suddenly realizing that chaos is in the streets, they are running low on food, no power is on and they never thought ahead and prepared. May the spirit of love be with them. I myself was raised partly in a remote wilderness near the Washington/Canadian Border-stateside. We had no electricity, running water etc. wood heat. We ate meat we slaughtered, whole grains and produce we grew. I have such gratefulness for that experience.

I came to live in the city 6 months ago from my small country town/backwoods. I had to accomplish a few important things out here. And my gut has been telling me I need to head back to the country QUICK. As soon as the snow starts to show signs of slowing (within 4 months). And when I go back I'm moving even farther out in the woods.

Everyone in thier right mind....who is tune with the earth and thier God (whatever that may be to each person) is preparing a place right now. I can feel our energies linking together, at night when I dream.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Indeed it is terrible how the homeless are treated. They are the losers of a RIGGED SYSTEM. All throughout our civilization's history there has been a MASSIVE underclass/slave-class and then even below them are the beggar outcasts. This is a terrible way to treat people who didn't win the game for wealth that's rigged to benefit those who are already powerful/wealthy. Especially now with globalization/capitalism, we're seeing a lot of losers.

A few great quotes on how we should treat the homeless:

"Acceding to homelessness would look like helping the homeless succeed WHILE being homeless. What an idea! I can almost hear the howls of outrage from both liberals and conservatives that must greet such a concept. Help people succeed at being homeless? We want them to fail at being homeless!" -Daniel Quinn, Beyond Civilization

"If we let the homeless find their own places of refuge and helped them habilitate those place (instead of rousting them wherever they settle), if we channeled to them the vast amounts of food that are discarded routinely every day (instead of forcing them to grovel for food at shelters), if we actively assisted them to support themselves on their own terms (instead of ours), just think--homelessness would largely cease to exist as "a problem."" -Daniel Quinn, Beyond Civilization

"The homeless are "beyond civilization" because they're beyond the reach of civilization's hierarchy, which has been unable to develop a structural extension to enclose them. The most it can manage is to oppress, harry, and obstruct them. To accede to homelessness would be to "let them go," much as the biblical pharaoh let the Israelites go." -Daniel Quinn, Beyond Civilization

Essentially, instead of outcasting them, outlawing them, treating them like sh*t, and making life hard for them, we should AT LEAST cater to the homeless enough to let them eek out as decent a life as possible WHILE being homeless. This is a revolutionary idea we have no reason not to implement.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I dunno. I am almost 38, single mother, raising a 16 year old son and I finally found work after 10 months unemployed. I make min wage for Illinois which is 8.25/hr (been a min wage fast food worker for over 20 years now) and I get about 43 to 56 hours every 2 weeks on the paycheck. I make under 1500 a month obviously so we got approved for 290/mth in food stamps which is a GOD send. According to the State of Illinois, I am 600% below the poverty level for Illinois. NOrmal households are to bring in some huge amount of money that's 14k a year or 1200 something a month. For energy assistance, a household of 2 should make 1700 a month. I make 600 to 700 a month. I can not comprehend 1700 a month. I dont' know what I'd do with that kind of riches! I think when I worked Arbys all year, I brought home 10,000 ish dollars that year. I've brought home between 7k and 10k usually every year. Anyway, I'm tired of it so I'm working on my first degree ever in home school with Devry, getting my bachelors. On the Deans list too,

Even still, I get about 350 every two weeks from work and still are in the hole about a week before the next check comes. Due to 300/mth rent for my 2 bdrm apt (that's expensive in the small small town we live in) and bills, it eats up every cent.
I got laid off from my shift mgmnt job at Arbys in 09 and if not for a friend of the fam letting us stay with them for a year before we moved here, we'd have been on the streets too. I do not drink, use drugs or anything. I have worked since 1989 in fast food but still worked. I lost my apt after I lost my Arby's job and was literally about to be on the streets with my child. So yes, normal drug free hard working people can and DO end up homeless due to things beyond their control. I dislike that person implying that ALL homeless are druggies and horrible people.

I got LUCKY to find the gas station job! Most people wait months upon month to years to find work now a days. If you lose your job, get laid off, fired or whatever may be the case, you are screwed. It took me 10 months and I worked 3 weeks at the local mcdonalds up north making min wage and lucky to get 15 hours a week. We moved to the southeast illinois area and I had the gas station job in 2 weeks of coming here.

Stop stereotyping people. That's all I ask. Even those of us with jobs suffer and go without and try so hard to make ends meet. We've been flat broke with a dollar and change to my name since Wednesday. It's now Sunday. I get paid Friday. Such is life.
edit on 24-10-2010 by sarra1833 because: adding state info for foodstamp percentage

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I gave a quarter to a homeless person yesterday.

Maybe some of us stopped caring, but I never did.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I actually just moved away from Los Angeles. Living there was like performing a real life experiment... come to think of it I was, I was purposely homeless there for half a year, sleeping out of my mustang, in the driver seat like Dracula in the fetal position. My mustang was starting to smell like bad decisions... Man do I miss the wildlife in that region. You got pigeons, rats, cockroaches, and most famously, [smiling] all different flocks of bum creatures. You guys know that. Jesus Christ..The bums out in LA are incredible - the way they ask for change is like an artform. But there's always one genius bum that comes along and, he gets ya. One guy pulled the sympathy card and said he was on the way to the grocery store to get milk for his 7 kids. Milk I say? You have 7 kids and you're going to buy milk? Fool you need some friggin condoms is what you need! Stop having kids and get a Vasectomy! A lady-bum in her wheelchair rolled up to me, and I felt bad, so I gave her a few bucks. I saw her the next day in running shoes, jogging around the same block…I actually saw and witnessed a guy beat the crap out of himself and ask for change to go to the hospital…Another lady-bum, she came up to me and asked me for change so she could go to the store and buy some tampons…She goes, :deep lady-bum voice: Watch I’ll show you [turn around and points to her ass] look there’s the blood! The best is when they pretend to be blind or deaf. I had one guy hand me a piece of cardboard saying he's deaf and can't talk. So i asked him if he could lip read, and he said no.

And yes, that is all true.
edit on 24-10-2010 by Zefflin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join