It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those poor people. When did we stop caring?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I don't know about the USA but here in the UK many ex service personel are homeless...no support after leaving..

Middle class peeps have a drug / drink problem, they are fortunate they have the money to fund the addiction.

We imho should as a society be more caring about those who for one reason or another are less fortunate than ourselves, maybe this would put an end to crime war etc.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Joshuadrooney
There are incentives for them to get off the street, such as hostels, and charity groups. Nope, these lowlifes love getting their fix on drugs and alcohol off the naive passer by, so as far as I'm concerned, they are not worth spittle.

The people who say these types of things ,are either trolling,or living hand to mouth and fear facing the truth about how close they are to becoming something they consider to be lower than themselves.

When one is low enough on this fake pecking order,and there is no one group they can consider to be lower than themselves,things look a lot different.

Enjoy the fall,.......

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Homelessness and not being able to find employment ARE THE CAUSE of most of the issues these people have,not all but most would be fine if people did not just assume they are less fortunate because they are simply messed up in some way.

Attitudes such as yours are the cause of most of the problems these people have.

A lot of the time someone may be able to pick themselves back up when they fall,but a lot of people who are afraid of that which they do not understand just keep knocking them back down,both mentally and physically.

And eventually they don't bother trying to get back up.

edit on 23-10-2010 by chiponbothshoulders because: mis-spelling

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Ø If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. - President Thomas Jefferson

We were warned long ago about what is happening right now,so stop marginalizing groups and pointing fingers.

It is our fault.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Joshuadrooney

Yes lets get rid of all the poor then we can create a new class system where those with less become the new poor, so we need to get rid of them creating a new class of poor errr theres a pattern forming, hopefully Daddy hasn't got all his eggs in one basket in case we accidently have a financial crisis.

Yes lets remove the public sector bunch of scroungers, we could have a private police force, private ambulance service, fire service, health service, education system etc etc and to hell with those that can't afford it. Oh wait again you may accidently find yourself in that situation.

Yes lets kick out all those scroungers and poor screw em, what do they contribute the world over, its not like they are exploited at any point to provide us wealthy with the goods and items we require. I say get rid of anyone who is dependant, oops flaw in that plan sorry, I'm dependant on hundreds of thousands of people each day - every time I fire up my computer err.

Hmmm maybe daddy should have taught you to watch the fingers you step on, on your way up as they belong to the people whos @rses you will be kissing on the way down.

One last point, I must apologise for the behaviour of the other ATS members, usually they treat people with your 'condition', with more kindness and compassion we do have respect for those that are 'challenged'.

Well heres wishing you all the best in your recovery, stick in there, it takes time but you can do it.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joshuadrooney
There are incentives for them to get off the street, such as hostels, and charity groups. Nope, these lowlifes love getting their fix on drugs and alcohol off the naive passer by, so as far as I'm concerned, they are not worth spittle.

When was the last time you physically gave?

You want to live in a world of rosey glasses.. That's not how the world, buddy

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Well I have always said tghat the Ex-serviceman is just another used cleenex. I think that they are a special case amongst special cases. These are the people that tried to do right by their country. I do not agree with the war but I can understand how people have been gulled inot signing up.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It also doesn't help that many shelters and soup kitchens are being overwhelmed. The way the economy is, many people just can't afford to give. A good way to help is for people with gardens or hunters to donate food.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Glad to see that there are many people are on this thread responding with a heart, a conscience and actual statistics...instead of just a snobby, pretentious quip.

Ever heard of the saying "treat others and as you would want to be treated?" "Or don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes?"

The fact is the percentage of homeless who simply want to panhandle/drain the public and/or go be a hopeless druggie, is actually very slim. HOWEVER, A HUGE PERCENTAGE OF HOMELESS ARE PLAGUED BY VERY REAL, UNTREATED MENTAL ILLNESS AND/OR PHYSICAL DISABILITIES. They turn to panhandling as a way to survive, just as you would do in the same situation.

The majority of the problem is and always has been our economic system. We could argue all day about this but it wouldn't make it any less true. The system we have DOES NOT WORK--it never has (especially since about the mid-20th century). It was faulty to begin with. It creates an endless, vicious cycle where the socio-economic classes get more and more seperate. With each passing year it gets harder for the "lower classes" to move into the "upper eschelons". The cycle of poverty often times stays within families, generationally, and thats for obvious reasons....you cannot teach your children anything that you yourself do not know. It's heartbreaking.

Support for those who legitimately cannot work has never been adequate...that's why it keeps churning out homelessness. Have a heart.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I never stopped caring thats why we need to support orginizations that help. You can volunteer at the red cross. Volunteer for meels on wheels. Volunteer at the salvation army. If you don't have money to give the best you can do is volenteer aint nothing wrong with that. Trash pick up in your neighborehood, everything in baby steps.[
edit on 23-10-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

I stopped caring when they started spitting on me because I'd bring them food instead of money

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Jesus said "the meek shall inherit the world"! I doubt it! With people like Cheney on the go, then what chance have you? I read recently that Margaret Thatcher,after falling foul of flu, was brightened up by the news that the Tory/Lib Dems had just made scathing cuts in the economy! What chance have you got?

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Culdeeson

Jesus said "the meek shall inherit the world"! I doubt it! With people like Cheney on the go, then what chance have you? I read recently that Margaret Thatcher,after falling foul of flu, was brightened up by the news that the Tory/Lib Dems had just made scathing cuts in the economy! What chance have you got?

Maybe it's after everyone has died?

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Culdeeson

The meek will inherit the earth refers to plants and animals.

We are a self destructive species in that we destroy each other,and the environment which nurtured us to this point.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
When you see a homeless person, what you are seeing is the result of a long series of events. Whether you want to believe it or not, these people were once children with hopes and dreams for the future. And I can guarantee you that those dreams were not of poverty, drug use or degradation. If they truly had the tools to remove themselves from their suffering they would. Maybe there are a couple of masochists who wouldn´t, but I highly doubt it.

The genetic lottery has winners and losers. But even if you win that one you still have to live through childhood and adolescence. There are so many things that can, and do, go wrong. I know I´ve had some pretty bad times, and perhaps if they´d been just a little worse I wouldn´t be sitting here typing this. Think you understand the universe that is another persons mind?

Every thought and concept is based on a previous experience or an already existing concept. So for people to help themselves out of their misery they need to be helped. By offering new and positive experiences and concepts. This will up the likelihood of them becoming able, productive and balanced. If they resist all attempts at helping them, then sure, they are free to go f themselves.

It´s easy to blame others for their misfortune. An evasive maneuver and perhaps a bolstering of ones own ego. But we all have a breaking point. Be at least thankful that yours hasn´t been reached.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Howdy everyone.

Before I get started I'd like to share a story. In my hometown we also have some homeless people. I usualy give them some smal change if I have the time and the coins. They usually tell me why they want the money which led me to the habit to award with extra money honesty and the #yest storys:-) . My all-time-greatest was when a men begged for money because the gypsies had stolen his pittbul... And I was like, dude how does some smal change help you get your dog and second. How the f..k can a fully grown pittbul be stolen? I gave the guy four times the amount I normaly give. Honestly, that was soo funny:-)

But back to the original topic. The way I see it poverty is a natural effect of the system. Just as in nature some have to die to feed the others, so must some be poor for the others to be rich. Is it wrong? Let me ask back. Is nature wrong? I don't think so. Is it unfortunate? Yes it is. It is foolish to blame the rich for beeing rich. Everyone has or their ancestors had the opportunity to become rich. If they aren't than it means they failed in the competition to prove themselves worthy of fortune. Why is it that people have no problem accepting this in a case of a sports event although the only difference is that the stake is higher? Poor people don't need charity, they need a job. And why do people not care? Because for most of them it's hard enough to provide for themselves and their beloved ones and they don't have the extra money and the time to worry about other peoples problems.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelior

There is nothing at all natural about the system which is destroying this country and its people.

The system which is destroying everyone was devised by man,and man alone,and has nothing to do with nature or fair competition.

I always said;never tell your kids they can be anything they want to be when they grow up,because you are lying to them.

If you think that all it takes is effort to be successful,when you get out of high school I wish you luck.

When you grow up and go out on your own,its like being thrown to the wolves,most every advertisement is aimed at impressionable young people who don't know any better.

This entire system is set up to take advantage of everything you need to survive,and will ever want,or do.

And that is the problem.

edit on 23-10-2010 by chiponbothshoulders because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
www .health.gov.au

For what it's worth, the link above states that mental illness is a serious part of this problem (at least in Western countries). Here in Australia, i believe it to be right up there with domestic violence as the main culprit of people becoming homeless. As others have rightfully stated, this is a systemic problem and these people really do need help...not ridicule.

p.s. I spent a few of my primary school years living in a refuge with my mother due to a violent father who forced us out. Granted i wasn't homeless as such, but there is much more to the problem than laziness, alcohol etc.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

This wasn't designed by on man or a handfull. This is how human society developed. The biggest truth in life is that the weak perish and the strong prevail so they can fight again the next day. In human society as in nature aswell so I don't think you can call it unnatural. I don't say it's good, I say that's how it is. And I never ever said that you can become anything it only takes effort. Also skill means a lot. And background. But it's a lie to put all the blame on them. Noone is predestined to be a loser in life. It's very rare to have no options at all, you're just might not willing to chose it. But in this case you are the one to be blamed for where you end up. For example. You are a pacifist (and there is nothing wrong with it) but without a job and the only option would be the army. Now, you have two options right now. A, you sacrifice your belief for your future and join the army. Or B, you are not willing to do it and refuse to recognise the opportunity, become poor and in the end homeless. Now in this case you have no right to blame anyone else but you. Freedome of choice. This was a totally fictional scenario but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The best thing we can do is volunteer our time to helping them...and I don't just mean by giving them free lunch or stuff we don't want anymore....I mean educating them. Even if they never go through graduate school, having the resources and tools to educate themselves is important.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join