It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unburying the Aztec (great photos)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

The excavation of a sacred pyramid is turning up clues to the empire’s bloody rituals—but so far, no sign of its most feared emperor.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/149bcf638958.jpg[/atsimg]While the fractured stone was still in situ, archaeologists used laser-driven pulses of light to produce a green 3-D image of it. In an adjacent shaft lay six offerings of artifacts.
On the edge of Mexico City's famed Zócalo plaza, next to the ruins of the Aztec sacred pyramid known as the Templo Mayor, the remains of an animal—perhaps a dog or a wolf—were discovered. It had been dead for 500 years and lay in a stone-lined shaft eight feet deep. It is likely the animal had no name, nor an owner. Yet the anonymous canine had evidently meant something to someone. It wore a collar made of jade beads and turquoise plugs in its ears. From its ankles dangled bracelets with little bells of pure gold.

The archaeological team, led by Leonardo López Luján, unearthed the so-called Aristo-Canine in the summer of 2008, two years into an excavation that began when foundation work for a new building revealed an astonishing object. It was a 12-ton rectangular monolith made of pinkish andesite stone, broken into four large pieces, bearing the mesmerizingly horrific likeness of the earth goddess Tlaltecuhtli (pronounced tlal-TEK-tli)—the symbol of the Aztec life and death cycle, squatting to give birth while drinking her own blood, devouring her own creation. It was the third flat Aztec monolith to be discovered by accident in the vicinity of the Templo Mayor, along with a 24-ton black basalt Sun Stone (excavated in 1790) and an 8-ton Disk of Coyolxauhqui, the moon goddess (1978).

Got your interest yet? No? continue on

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/34452b0f5ea7.jpg[/atsimg]
Carved sometime before 1470, the image of the moon goddess Coyolxauhqui was at the foot of the Templo Mayor's steps until the carving was buried in a renovation of the pyramid around 1481. The stone, unearthed in 1978, recalls the legend of her murder by her brother, Aztec patron god Huitzilopochtli.

Source for article: ngm.nationalgeographic.com...
Source for complete image gallery: ngm.nationalgeographic.com...

What a great article and even better photos (I think 12). The others are protected but you can see them all at the link. I have to tell you. I found myself lost as I looked at the phots-trying to think all about each one. As I have said before on other finds from S. America that I and others have posted. The more I learn about the peoples/cizilivzations from there the more convinced I am the people back then had some involvement with other Races or Alien vistors etc. I know, a strectch for some but.. Well, you tell me. Read then look and comment on what all you see.

The 2nd photo, I have to say, is very interesting. I believe similar to others found in S. America. Space Suit? Oramental garb depicted in the work?

I love how they used the green 3D lighting to observe it etc.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

It's all new to me, and awesome.
The rectangle pit with so many varied things in it is the most interesting for me.
I am going to have to compare the dog to modern dog bones. I assume the dogs jewelry is here on ATS.
I also can't save the pics for viewing. Cut and save should work.
Loved the post SnF

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

Yes, the photos in the gallery are protected-cant' copy. I didn't goodle the project but I am sure there is more out there. Unless it was just released within the last day or so.

Glad you like.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
No AZTEC fans and/or experts (novice even) what to comment?

Rough crowd. lol

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Thanks for posting this find. The earth goddess is a frightful scene, Her face reminds me of some images of Medusa. I made a thread about their similarities.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It was interesting to see the coral and saw fish bill. I wonder how they would catch these 18 feet long creatures in the days of the Aztecs.

I also laughed at the burial dedicated to the Drugs, Rock and Roll god. In other words the god of song, dance and party. His name reminds me of the word Techno. Anyone want to go to an Aztec Rave?

edit on 23-10-2010 by lostinspace because: Added a link to a thread I started

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Nice find and amazing picture gallery, it would be nice if the pictures could be copied, how did you copy the first one?

S&F

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Those two photos were with the article. I was able to capture those and then added the words from the pics gallery

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Wow that's just too cool. Oh how I wish this procedure was cheap and easy, I'd be looking everywhere in hopes of finding something amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

And *cough* Thanks for giving me a new avatar Idea.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I know the aztecs were into some really freaky stuff. I know I wouldn't mess with ANY of their artifacts. It would be like having NAZI memorabila not a good idea.
edit on 23-10-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

edit on 23-10-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii
reply to post by anon72

Wow that's just too cool. Oh how I wish this procedure was cheap and easy, I'd be looking everywhere in hopes of finding something amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

And *cough* Thanks for giving me a new avatar Idea.

NIIIIIICE avatar man beat me to it!!! A picture on the net I think your safe.

Just never mess with an MEXICAN/INDIAN burial ground, you play with fire you get burnt.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Great move on the avatar pic. Awesome looking.

Glad I could be of help.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
If you use a little brainpower and 'View Source' for the image gallery page, you can figure out the exact addresses of all the pics. I'd give you these addresses directly but that would violate the 'Terms and Conditions' of the ATS boards.
edit on 10/23/2010 by Mad Simian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad Simian

Thanks for the input.

A little brainpower-lol

Good Morning....

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Great find! Thanks for sharing. What an amazing discovery.

S & F.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

Thank you. Glad you like.

Be sure to check out the other photos in the included Gallery Link.

I don't know what to think of the Aztec race. Gonna have to learn more about them-well, what is thought to be currently anyway. I don't think we'll ever know enough/all about them.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe that there isn't one ATSer that knows AZTEC stuff liket he back of thier hand that can comment on this find-as compared to the other know sites and info of them.

And, I can't believe no one thinks the stone carving of the woman could be said to have a similar type of Space Helment and possible suit as others that have been trouted around-from S. America.

top topics

join