It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 End of the Earth Postponed, Panic Over

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Well this is bad news for the doom and gloomers who took out huge lines of credit expecting the end of days in 2012. "Hey people you're gonna have to pay for that car after all !"

On the upside Olympic Gold Medal winners will have all the time in the world to parade in their newly acquired bling and Hollywood may well give us something without all the power going down, and people who would otherwise beat each other over the heads with preferred reading material, holding hands and staring at the sky.

It's a good news/bad news situation for believers in the 2012 Mayan apocalypse. The good news is that the Mayan "Long Count" calendar may not end on Dec. 21, 2012 (and, by extension, the world may not end along with it). The bad news for prophecy believers? If the calendar doesn't end in December 2012, no one knows when it actually will - or if it has already.

A new critique, published as a chapter in the new textbook "Calendars and Years II: Astronomy and Time in the Ancient and Medieval World" (Oxbow Books, 2010), argues that the accepted conversions of dates from Mayan to the modern calendar may be off by as much as 50 or 100 years. That would throw the supposed and overhyped 2012 apocalypse off by decades and cast into doubt the dates of historical Mayan events. (The doomsday worries are based on the fact that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, much as our year ends on Dec. 31.)

Link full article news.yahoo.com...
edit on 23-10-2010 by The Djin because: speeling

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
doesn't matter if the Mayan Calender ends tomorrow... The world will not end because of a stupid made up calendar...

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
... True, no calendar is gonna end the World ... Especially my World won't be over until I say so

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

Could you please link to where the Mayans, themselves, said that 2012 would be the end of the world - doom-style? I'd be really, really interested... but, me thinks, you can't. 2012 end of the world stuff is not from the Mayans. I personally believe that a transition of sorts will begin - or possibly is already underway.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Could you please link to where the Mayans, themselves, said that 2012 would be the end of the world - doom-style?

I don't make the claim that they said anything of the sort after all I never met them, however it is alleged over and over that because their clock stops ticking on 2012 (then end of an age) that we're all up in smoke.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
i was reading dr.christeson, he specializes in everything about mayan he speaks 7 mayan languages and this is what he said.

modern man is more concerned about december 21,2012 than the mayan."there is the sum total of ONE ancient mayan text that refers to the 2012 date". and it comes from a fairly minor monument found among mayan ruins.
the translation of that monument indicated that on that date 21, 2012 a particular god will descend. to be perfectly frank, a god of endings and destuction.

i also read someone elses work cant remember how it was but they say scientists have worked the long callender out wrong, and the real date isant until another 50 years.

so it sounds like theres ether a god comeing to do distruction on 21,2012. or its hapening in 50 years lol

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I think most people are willing to admit the whole 2012 thing is crap.
FYI I have a Hello Kitty calendar that says the world ends on December 31, 2010. I'll have a Garfield calendar next year that will say the same thing

If there is anyone here that actually does believe the world will end in 2012, I have an offer for you. If you REALLY and TRULY believe that 2012 is it, and you own your house, I am willing to entertain buying it from you for 1/10 of what it is currently worth, CASH, and allow you to live in it for free until December 22, 2012 at which time, since the earth will end, you will have had alot of spending cash and a free place to stay for a year. So if you really believe what you are saying, you'd be a fool to pass up this offer. Let's see how many people put their money where their mouth is

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Well as I posted in the thread that was closed...... this is a glitch in the timeline of events....

Now I have to redo my personal calendar and reschedule my "end time party" and try to explain

to my friends how I could gotten all this mayhem wrong

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I still believe, that on 2012, something nasty comes this way. I myself hope it is wrong, I have a bad feeling about this. I feel mayhan of a sort is comming. I trully believe something bad will happen and it will effect in a global scale. I do not know what the mayhan is, all i believe is that it is comming soon. I also have a strong gut feeling that one country will set it off and other countries get sucked into the turmoil due to instability. This in turn will cause great unrest in countries and lead to a global mayhan. A destruction of humanity will occurr, along with a great battle. If things do not change, i hope my feelings are wrong about this , and that isreal doesn't pull the trigger in december.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This is bad news indeed, far from ending the whole 2012 doomsday discussion it just extends it, meaning that people will be able to profit from even more stupid books for another 50-100 years about the same damn thing sighting this book as a source and ATS will never be free of it.

If it had just stuck at being 2012 we could all have moved on when 1/1/2013 came along, but not now

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Don't do it ISREAL. Don't pull the trigger. A dommino effect will happen and we all will get sucked into mayhan. don't do it in december.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nite owl
I still believe, that on 2012, something nasty comes this way. I myself hope it is wrong, I have a bad feeling about this. I feel mayhan of a sort is comming. I trully believe something bad will happen and it will effect in a global scale. I do not know what the mayhan is, all i believe is that it is comming soon. I also have a strong gut feeling that one country will set it off and other countries get sucked into the turmoil due to instability. This in turn will cause great unrest in countries and lead to a global mayhan. A destruction of humanity will occurr, along with a great battle. If things do not change, i hope my feelings are wrong about this , and that isreal doesn't pull the trigger in december.

Paranoia has a way of causing things.

My prediction is that we will see a lot of suicide.

Well...I certainly hope not.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Could you please link to where the Mayans, themselves, said that 2012 would be the end of the world - doom-style?

I could do but the Mayan Internet is not compatible with IE/Chrome

2012 has got a lot closer, and since no rogue planet or star has bothered to show up or even make an appearance, no global apocalypse or alien invasion then the doomsayers will have to postpone.

I'm still saying the next year of doom will be 2018, not too far in the future and which will give me plenty of time to get some books out, a signing tour and a film deal before I have to change it again

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

I will but only if you allow pets I just got a really cute mini doberman named nuckles and I wouldnt want to live there if he cant, one whole yeah in my whole house for free heck ill do it And I Dont even believe in 2012 theory. lol

new topics

top topics

join