It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery begat science; and science killed that mystery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
...yet, our imaginations are still running wild.

I write this with a weary heart as sort of a cathartic release, because I think I figured something out - something pertinent that maybe some fellow ATS members have been sensing.

What I mean to say is, before there was science, there was mystery and imagination. As science slowly chips away at the mystery, we're still left with the same imagination. I believe [read: BELIEVE] that for each mystery solved by science, and as we run out of questions, our mysteries become so fantastic as to fill that void, as to, perhaps, immunize them FROM BEING SOLVED by science. (This is my LAST cookie, and I'll be damned if I'm giving it up)

The true horror lies in the irony of my headline. Science came along to answer some of life's deepest mysteries, at the cost of killing those mysteries. The insatiable curiosity remains, however, and I think what happens is we start manufacturing mysteries to keep our known existence from becoming cripplingly dull.

Allow me to provide a point to support this. I, the offspring of a rocket scientist, have been on this rock for quite a while now, and have seen and heard of some pretty interesting things. However, I had never in my life heard of army guys that jump out of planes at night with flares on their asses. When I saw the video of the Golden Knights, I was absolutely convinced that those objects didn't originate from Earth.

But there they were. And it was unsettling to me as to how I could've not known about army guys jumping out of airplanes at night. The footage looked authentically alien. The footage also called into question pretty much everything else I had "come to conclusions on, based on available evidence."

What I now fear is that each and every "unusual" event, or theory I've subscribed to are their own "Golden Knights." And I think the reason I do that is because, if you think about it, there isn't a whole lot of mystery left in the world - which kinda takes the magic out of it. I fear that all these years I've simply let my mind run wild and get the best of me.

We STILL HAVEN'T been visited by aliens yet. No headline news, no invasions, no "we come in peace" - no nothing. If it hasn't happened by now, why should I believe it ever will? Because, (in light of the recent CNN footage of Robert Salas) if ever there were a time we needed alien intervention, it should've happened already when we dropped two bombs on Japan. If aliens are disabling nuclear weapons, then why the hell did they let us bomb Japan? We've needed alien intervention for a long time now. Wikileaks has proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Maybe the reason aliens haven't intervened and saved us from ourselves is because they aren't here. They may have been here in the past, but again, all those weird cave paintings, and medieval artwork, and religious references could all be their own Golden Knights. Something obvious and mundane to them that has been forgotten by history.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that the Golden Knight thread rocked my world (for better or worse) and now I'm questioning all the things I've subscribed to. And it basically feels like when I was a kid and finally realized that there was no Santa Clause. Perhaps our psychology to believe - anything - so long as it's something, has played right into the hands of our counter-intelligent experts at the CIA.

I feel...kinda sad.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Is it not possible that the mind is the creator and that enough energy focused as a thought can create a reality. What i mean to say is that when a great conscious effort is used to believe that something exists, sure enough within a short time it is scientifically proven to be so.
As a society how do we validate the suggestion that intelligent life exists on other planets? We conclude that it can only be so if there is liquid water. Well soon enough we are finding water all over the solar system. Is that because it was there to start with or because we believed it needs to be.

edit on 23-10-2010 by Utopian because: (no reason given)

join