It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Case Ban Of Computer/Internet---A New Trend To Watch For?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Court Orders: No Internet, No Computer Use!

This video caught my eye, and the first case in Canada seemed related to the offence, ie. the actions were made online, but its a slipperly slope.

Then in a completely unrelated incident, an attempt was made by the judicial to include a ban on social network and I believe it was the internet, though that didn't go through, which is good. But it seemed odd, as if a new trend, a new decision to ask for banning of social networking, and internet may be coming, for anyone charged or convicted of a crime.

This would shrink a persons world and information and their ability to share their stories, and cases, and clip the wings of freedom of speech, if it becomes a new condition imposed by courts.

Have there been other cases, particularly unrelated to the crime, where this has been imposed?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
www.techdirt.com...

Here its mentioned that in a few different cases, including one 30 year ban from the internet, these judicial decisions have been overturned. But who is giving these kind of rulings to begin with, and in the video above, they don't seem to be all related to internet offenses to begin with.

And yet, the courts seem to keep giving out these bans. So, yet again, we have a story of a 30 year computer ban being overturned. And again, the court found that such a ban seems to go way too far. In this case, it was deemed "substantively unreasonable" and "aggressively interferes with the goal of rehabilitation."

So, at what point do judges stop giving out these kinds of bans in the first place?

edit on 22-10-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I think some ISP's will shut your internet off if the mpaa tells them to. Be careful what you download but please keep sharing!

new topics

join