It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Dr Death' to sell body parts over the internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
22 October 2010

Gunther von Hagens, the originator of the controversial Body Worlds anatomical exhibitions, has provoked a fresh storm of criticism in Germany after announcing plans for an online store selling plastinated human body parts.

Mr von Hagens, who enjoys the nickname "Doctor Death" because of his highly publicised shows, which display fleshless human corpses that have been injected with plastic resin, revealed his plans for internet expansion in a letter to his clients.

According to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper, the letter said an online plastinated body parts shop would go online from 3 November, selling whole human bodies for €69,615 (£61,733) apiece.

Mr von Hagens has insisted however that his products will not be available to the general public, and will be sold only to scientists and medical experts. In addition to whole bodies, the shop will offer torsos at €56,644 each and human heads at €22,015. Plastinated animal parts will also be available.

Gunther von Hagens will sell whole plastinated human bodies online for €69,615 apiece
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e2aca9faa7d.jpg[/atsimg]

Link

This is really creepy, when I first saw the headline I thought you have to be joking. Since these bodies and body parts won't to sold to the general public and will be made available to scientists and doctors I guess it would be alright.

Somehow I have the feeling that non- professionals will want to get hold of these body parts, money talks and if Dr. Death is offered enough I am sure he would sell to the public, everything seems to have a price.

Germany's Germany's Roman Catholic Church is a bit provoked by this, but since I don't believe we are our bodies once we die what is the difference. Does anything still think we will rise from the dead on resurrection day.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Why does it matter who buys them? I seriously doubt there will be any new discoveries made from these thing, right? So why not sell them to the highest bidder? I am assuming that all the things that end up in his displays were volunteered right? If the dude is robbing graves, and making the things, then I could see the outrage lol. Sorry about calling them things, but that is the best way I can describe them, they are dead right?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

My feeling exactly, they are dead, he could have my body someday but that could be a problem since I will be cremated, wonder if he does anything with ashes.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
If they are donated to him then who is anybody to tell him what he can do with them?

On a side note I saw this exhibit in the past and it is absolutely amazing.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
His show has run 2 seasons here in Aus. You have to give the man credit, he is Very skilled at his job, & he does provide an invaluable service to medical students.

According to his program, all the bodies he uses are donated with the full knowledge that their bodies can be used in ANY way for educational purposes, only.

However we dont know what arrangements he made with his donors prior to their deaths, he may have been thinking about selling his 'creations' for some time & had factored that into any agreements he may have made years ago.

Dont really know, but I love his work, as gruesome as it can get.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Jack Kevorkian, (pronounced /kɛˈvɔrkiːɛn/
,M.D. born May 26, 1928, is an American pathologist, right-to-die activist, painter, composer, and instrumentalist. He is best-known for publicly championing a terminal patient's right to die via physician-assisted suicide; he claims to have assisted at least 130 patients to that end. He famously said that "dying is not a crime."

Beginning in 1999 Kevorkian served eight years of a 10-to-25-year prison sentence for second-degree murder. He was released on parole on June 1, 2007, on condition that he would not offer suicide advice to any other person.[

An oil painter and a jazz musician, Kevorkian has marketed limited quantities of his visual and musical artwork to the public

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/68e54a43ba7d.jpg[/atsimg]

en.wikipedia.org...

When I first saw this headline I thought it was Dr. Kevorkian and said no way, he was also called Dr. Death, I don't know him personally but have seen him on ocasion as he lived nearby and used to be in downtown Royal Oak frequently. He is now a free man.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus
If they are donated to him then who is anybody to tell him what he can do with them?

On a side note I saw this exhibit in the past and it is absolutely amazing.

Guess I could call you lucky for having seen it, not my cup of tea, think I'd rather go to the Opera.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
People donate their bodies with the understanding that it goes to medical and scientific research and education. That includes museum displays as that falls under scientific and medical education. I doubt anyone would have donated their body if they knew some necro freak in rotterdam would be having their personal way with the body.

That is why there is an issue selling to the general public. Maybe some young rich punks will think it funny to pull a prank using these bodies, would that be right? That was not part of the agreement under the medical donation disclosure.

I suppose it would not be far fetched though that someone could pay a corrupt physician to acquire one. They already have lines at the pain clinics proliferating controlled substances. Just another couple of steps.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Agreed this certainly creeps me out, I mentioned in an earlier post that we are not our bodies and what happens to it when I am gone doesn't matter, but it may matter to those I leave behind, it would certainly freak them out to come across their loved one on line or in a museum.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I once bid on real human skulls back in eight grade on ebay before they banned that kind of stuff. It was 1999 and internet regulation was still young. I figured it would have been cool decoration for my room. Alas I was outbid everytime as it was hard for a kid with no allowance or a job to just come up with a couple hundred dollars to get it with certainty.

I suppose today I could get one still, but my girlffriend has expressed her complete dissapproval of such an acquisition. Plus it is illegal for private citizens in the USA to own human body parts. Probably in an effort to avoid situations like this

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

No law is going to prevent wacko's living with corpses or keeping body parts, of course if they get caught they can prosecute.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I can see those plasticized bodies being suitable for med students, though I can't imagine why anyone would want one in their living room, or even downstairs sitting at the bar, though it sure would make for quite the conversation piece! I've heard of rich folk needing kidney transplants being able to bypass long waiting lists by purchasing them through an agency from poor families in third world countries. Has anyone else heard of this? For the right price I'd be happy to sell one of mine, and if ordered within the 24 hours following my ad, the buyer will receive as a special bonus, my right nut.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

I don't get it either, there are people who have their pets stuffed, that would freak me out, no way would I ever consider doing something like that.

new topics

top topics

join