It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House takes credit for Bush-Era wind farms.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

The Obama administration is crediting its anti-recession stimulus plan with creating up to 50,000 jobs on dozens of wind farms, even though many of those wind farms were built before the stimulus money began to flow or even before President Barack Obama was inaugurated.

Out of 70 major wind farms that received the $4.4 billion in federal energy grants through the stimulus program, public records show that 11, which received a total of $600 million, erected their wind towers during the Bush administration. And a total of 19 wind farms, which received $1.3 billion, were built before any of the stimulus money was distributed. ( See a list of the projects here.)

Yet all the jobs at these wind farms are counted in the administration's figures for jobs created by the stimulus.

Source

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Either this is some Jekyl & Hyde, schizophrenic, amnesia syndrome in Obama or he and the administration are in the back pockets, literally, of these companies.

Further on, the article states:

The wind farm was built in two phases. The developer, First Wind, received a total of $61.8 million in stimulus grants on Sept. 1, 2009, when the administration began rolling out money for the program. But FAA records indicate both were completed at least 15 months earlier — by May 20, 2008.

and

"With the first set of projects that were done before the passage of the Recovery Act — in almost every case, what they did was reinvest in the next set of projects," Rogers said. "Because we now have a set of incentives, project developers and sponsors are reinvesting in the U.S. market, instead of seeing a lot of that money go to other places. That's one of the most exciting parts of the job creation story."

Because of the way the law was written, the Section 1603 grant program has no language requiring that recipients reinvest their grant money in the United States. Rogers said he was basing his claim on the fact that many companies have reported to the administration that they reinvested their grants in future wind projects in the U.S.
[emphasis added]

So they claim and the gov't gives them money for things already or sufficiently close to completed. Then they claim to use the money to reinvest in projects.... Why weren't they applying for the grant for projects they were starting? Where is the verification and accountability?

I am appalled, but not surprised.
edit on 10/22/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

In testimony to Congress earlier this year, the Department of Energy's senior adviser on the stimulus plan, Matt Rogers, touted the wind farm program for creating as many as 50,000 jobs. He acknowledges that these figures were provided by a wind industry trade and lobbying group. The trade group, in turn, cites a government study, which found that most of the jobs are short term.

The Investigative Reporting Workshop at American University fact-checked that claim, using the federal government's own documents. Not only were 19 of the wind farms already in place before the first stimulus payments were made, but 14 of them were already sending electricity to the grid.

From source in OP.

So let me see if I got this right.
Whatever they can not blame on the last administration they take credit for?
Yep, that sounds about right

edit on 22-10-2010 by Quadrivium because: add "see"

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Even more 'jinky' is this:

The Treasury Department has rejected Freedom of Information requests by the Investigative Reporting Workshop seeking grant applications, citing trade secrets.

Trade secrets? I'd be willing to bet they received grant money under Bush for the projects. So the only secret is what they traded the Democrats to get the money for the complete / near complete projects. I'd be willing to bet they applied for grant money for the new projects... the one's they are allegedly reinvesting in.

Where's the "TRANSPARENCY" O?
edit on 10/22/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuadriviumSo let me if I got this right.
What ever they can not blame on the last administration they take credit for.
Yep, that sounds about right

And taking credit for "Green" jobs started under the Bush administration at that.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
What? OB sympathizers don't want to comment?

new topics

top topics

join