It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time for revolution? Really? Where should we draw the lines?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

Thanks for the reply- I have to say I do have some objections to the things that have caused fear of "fema death camps" even though I am not certain that such camps themselves exist (Readiness Exercise 1984 probably should have resulted in at least a censure for somebody), but on most points closer to the subject, I tend to agree with you.

The framers of our constitution did discuss including provision for impeachment by reason of maladministration, and decided against it. Had they not done so, every time a president faced his first midterm election he would be in grave danger of impeachment- they'd have been better off just setting a 2 year term for the president if they had gone that route. Removing politicians is generally best done at the ballot box if it can be accomplished in that way.

Some people who believe violence is the answer and assume we'd never be able to use term limits or other such restrictions on the government to increase observance of the will of the people may be interested to know that not only can the people impose such restrictions, but apparently it happened once because somebody wasn't happy with getting a "C" on his essay. 27th Amendment.

So if I may make an actual suggestion on how to prevent revolutions, I think that the people who desire recourse against the government might want to start talking amongst themselves about an Amendment allowing congressional districts to call special elections to order the reversal of their representative's vote on certain kinds of bills, and also establishing the rules of congress in the constitution. Any thoughts?

Oh, and for the mad max thing and the reality of revolutions. What REALLY happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence (and many others around them) is even more telling than the well known list that goes around by email. There weren't just sacrifices, there were severe consequences for poor decision making.

The one signer of the declaration who was arrested for doing so decided that his sacred honor didn't mean so much to him anymore.
The only one of them to fight and die was in point of fact killed not by an enemy but by a friend- a fellow revolutionary officer with whom he ended up dueling.

I'm not saying our revolution wasn't worth it. I'm just saying that hot-heads made it worse than it had to be and very nearly caused it to fail, and some of them probably wouldn't do it again if they were here today, no matter how they felt about the situation.
edit on Sat 23 Oct 2010 by The Vagabond because: edit to fix typo "that" = "than"

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   
So, not to be that guy who bumps old threads, but I came back to re-read this in the context of Trumps America, and all I can say is Final Warning guys. What do you factions actually intend to do to one another? Have you still not really thought about it while the cops stand aside of a riot for fear of being outgunned and overrun? Or are you all quietly starting to think in terms of just how bad you're willing to be and just not speaking about it in polite company? I can't help but feel slightly vindicated by this thread, looking back. Then again I've believed so many silly things over the years that I'd probably be right about a couple things in any possible reality- but you tell me.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
America is being turned into an Aristocracy. We may have to revolt to keep from being turned into slaves, but most likely we are already doomed.

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Bump again- man I was reasonable when I wrote this. FTP and all that now... but I think rather than update what I have to say in the current context, i'll just see what you youngins think of the question I asked before you started shaving...

posted on Jun, 7 2020 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Time for revolution? Really? Where should we draw the lines?

Your question intimates that you would go along with the spirit of revolution, but not the necessary labour that ultimately sets it into action to achieve revolutionary goals.

The violent revolutions of the past are history, and could not be repeated today, nor could civil war, except perhaps, in countries that are still under development into modern constructions. That is not to say that revolution could not or should not occur, it should, but by a completely different manner. Instead of violently attacking that which you want to change, you ignore it, utterly and completely. You ostracise it and isolate it and consign it to the pages of history as a social pariah.

You do this through peaceful civil disobedience. You suspend citizen duty to authority, but keep it for each other. You ignore all instruction from authority, because in terms of revolutionary ideology, you no longer recognise it as right and proper, and you perceive it as destructive to the kind of society you want to build and live in.

Be under no illusion, though, it will be hard, and it will take time to achieve your goals this way. You will be attacked, and you will have many detractors (enemies) inconvenienced by your movement and your protests. Look at the marches in Martin Luther King's revolution, that is the type of march you will have to adhere to, and expect the same type of attacks. You will have to stand your ground, and when slapped, offer the other cheek to be slapped, but you must not retaliate. You will seek to shut society down by not complying to anything, as you utilise industry strikes continuously, shop only for food and medicines and nothing else. Hit your enemy where it hurts them the most...in the pocket and the bank.

You make of yourself as a horse refusing to budge, no matter how it is flogged. Do not engage with, or contribute to the society they are seeking to impose or have imposed on you, create your own around them, in spite of them, and build it on the old French principle of 'Liberté, égalité, fraternité' for all.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join