page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+41 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

WikiLeaks Iraq files reveal torture [VIDEO]

english.aljazeera.net

It is the biggest leak of military secrets in history. Al Jazeera has details of nearly 400,000 classified US documents. They are the secret Iraq files, leaked to whistleblower website WikiLeaks.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 22-10-2010 by HunkaHunka because: updated video
edit on 22-10-2010 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

Also carried by the Guardian
Also carried by the BBC
edit on 22-10-2010 by HunkaHunka because: Added other media outlets

Other ATS Threads:
{109,032} deaths in Iraq {66,081} - Civilian {23,984} - Enemy
Wikileaks Iraq war logs: Every Death Mapped
WikiLeaks insurance password (possibly) incoming! (Page 44, time of release)
The Secret Iraq Files
edit on 22-10-2010 by HunkaHunka because: Updated ATS Threads of interest

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Oh wow! This is HUGE!

So how is this going to effect, not only the war efforts, but also the domestic elections here at home?

The article goes on to say

For the past ten weeks Al Jazeera's had complete access to those files. As part of our forthcoming coverage, we reveal how the US military gave a secret order not to investigate torture by Iraqi authorities discovered by American troops.

Now Al Jazeera broke the story first by 30 minutes before the embargo WL had with the media...

Oh well...

We let the iraqis do the dirty work... FRAGO 242...
Sodomy by water bottle, jabbed with screwdrivers? Struck with cables, electrocuted, sodomized with a hose, beaten to death...

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

Also carried by the Guardian
Also carried by the BBC
edit on 22-10-2010 by HunkaHunka because: Added other media outlets

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This is very disturbing...

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Guardian coverage of the leaks:

Here

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by qualitygossip

More and more will come out.

Starting today and we'll see the press conference tomorrow.

I wish there was more...
Peace and love

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Naturally, the US media will mention the name "Al Jazeera" more than "WikiLeaks" when referring to these files, which will trigger a negative response in the American media conditioned brain, since the name "Al Jazeera" sounds terrorist-like. Most people will ignore the files or just say "there's too many, and I doubt there's anything of real value in there."

I wonder when all ~400,000 files will be available for public viewing.

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'm looking at The Guardian coverage and I can't even muster enough sadness and outrage to allow for all these crimes against humanity ... and the totality of the info isn't even fully read yet.

What a sad and vicious species we are.

All this cost?
And for what?
For nothing!

And so it goes ...

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Okay, how do we extract this table to our own computer? I want to make a map of every war death in Iraq!!!!!

Every Death in Iraq with Lat/Long

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

You go to Visualize -> map

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I was expecting something alone this line. Could it be the 14,000 unknown deaths would be from torture and then death. This is big and it will effect the war effort and elections, most definitely!

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This is the most appalling report leaked yet. It seems what I gather from the summary on the Guardian is that there are over 66,000 civilian deaths which is just despicable. We are funding a war against their civilians and their sovereignty. It is a dark day for the United states and allied forces involved indeed. Luckily there are people ready to risk their reputation and livelihoods to bring this to light.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Iraq Death Map

Wow look at that, and don't forget to zoom out. A new era of information freedom has begun, if it wont be compromised.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
66,000 civilian deaths - I am in shock!! How many were children??

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
IMAGINE if this was your neighborhood!!!

Here's a screen shot of the visualization of the Death Map. War is hell, and civilians really get chewed up just as much as the fighters:

(Right-click, view image, to see the full image)

See the Heat Map version of the death map here, for your self.
edit on 22-10-2010 by harrytuttle because: url

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
OP, thank you for getting on to this so quickly. I was unable to get the vid on the Al Jazeera Site to play. (I guess their servers are rather busy.) From that video:

Provided the initial report confirms US forces were not involved in the detainee abuse, no further investigation will be conducted unless directed by HHQ.

This is "FRAGO (fragmentary order) 242".

This makes me feel sick. Literally.

Mike

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
OMG, this is sickening, 66,000 civilians! I think we all knew it was going to be bad and it's only going to get worse as we are allowed unfettered access to this data and find out more and more.

George Bush and Tony Blair should be utterly ashamed of themselves. I feel so angry!!

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
This is a very good site too, but it seems to be very busy at the moment.

www.iraqwarlogs.com...

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

CNN actually spoke about it a few minutes ago and they strongly referred to WikiLeaks as the source. Also, the New York Times is giving strong credit to WL.

The problem is that there are still lots of uneducated people who believe in this war. To those people, WikiLeaks is committing treason, because the government says so. They're still blind to what the US Gov is doing. What Uncle Sam says is "truth". No need to blame or give credit to Al Jezeera on this one. WL is already a bad name in many minds.

I say, "Good Job, WikiLeaks!" Bring it on...

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This order contradicts the "alleged" purpose of the mission, no?

Provided the initial report confirms US forces were not involved in the detainee abuse, no further investigation will be conducted unless directed by HHQ.

First it was WMDs and when that failed, then suddenly the mission was to "liberate" the Iraqi people from abuse & oppression.

Clearly neither of those were the mission. So it looks like it was exactly what we've thought it was...OIL!

edit on 22-10-2010 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join