It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

<<<Graphic imagery>>>Bac Ninh, North East, Vietnam Pig Slaughter Carnival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Does anyone know anything about this even? I can't seem to find information on it. Please Help with this.

I am interested in the culture behind this carnival.
edit on 22/10/10 by Shadowed because: addition

edit on 22/10/10 by Shadowed because: subtraction

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowed

I have nothing to add...

But that is just sick!

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Hello.
I have done some searching with my VERY slow internet and all I have managed to turn up was the following link that I think may be relevant.

QUOTED FROM SOURCE

"A traditional festival in Bac Ninh is held on the 6th day of Tet every year and attracts a lot of visitors.

The festival includes the slaughtering of pigs. This religious festival is organised at Nem Thuong Hamlet, Khac Niem Commune, Tien Du, Bac Ninh province.

It’s said that General Ly Doan Thuong of the Ly Dynasty and his army passed by Nem Thuong Hamlet and slaughtered wild pigs to keep his army safe. After that, people here organised annual pig slaughtering’s during a festival to honour the General.

Religions in the North consider pig blood a way to worship the God that is symbolic for prosperity, productivity and a good harvest.

Two pigs will be carried on top of shoulders, brought around the village, and then end in the village’s yard.

People use money, ropes and farming tools to absorb pig blood with a hope that they will receive good fortune. Pig meat will be shared with everyone in hopes that people will be prosperous for the whole year."

blog.discoveryindochina.com...

Hope this helps.
edit on 22-10-2010 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Too bad they kill it so violently, but at least they eat it.
I for one have to deal with a pig slaughter a few times a year where I live and they exhibit a real fear of knives......Go figure.
Let me emphasize that when a pig is killed where I live the people are not whooping and cheering with such obvious glee.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Thanks for your searching. I couldn't find anything on the carnival itself, and very little on the the village that it is held in. I agree I am glad that they eat it afterwards. I don't think it is brutal. In todays standards I think that so many are in such a weakened state that something as simple as a large feast and celebration has been desecrated to "brutal".

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Well personally I guess I just meant "gory". I know here when they kill a pig they cut it's throat, I guess it just took me by surprise to cut it in half. Also, I'm certainly not against the killing and eating of animals for food, I just believe if your going to kill an animal you should do so and be done with it. That animal is dying so I can eat, the least I can do is show it some respect and make its suffering as short as possible. Perhaps that's a strange philosophy to some. lol
Plus pigs tend to have a Human-esque scream when threatened and dying and its very loud. Its relatively uncomfortable on a small scale.
But I do agree with you.

new topics

top topics

join