It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mankinds inability to say "I dont understand"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The human ego is a funny old thing. No matter what the subject is, it just cant accept that sometimes we just dont understand. It is the same throughout history. Mankind always makes up some sort of story or theory to satisfy their ego and tell themselves that they understand, when in reality they havent the slightest clue what is going on.

Look at the age old questions of the meaning of life and death. Life and death are present all around us and yet we cant research it, we cant reason with it and there is noone to explain it to us, so what do we do? We invent religion. Some convenient little "Life for Dummys" handbook that "tells" us all what happens when we die, why we are alive and how we shoud live our lives. But why is religion so popular? The reason is as mentioned above, that we dont like not understanding something and religion, regardless of which one, provides an explanation for us and takes away a large amount of uncertainty from our lives. We can read these arty stories of days gone by with powerful gods, magic men and ancient superheros, all intertwined with a moral explanation of why we are here, but the reality stays the same: We still dont understand. Religion is just a blindfold. Smoke and mirrors to cover for our inability to answer a basic question: Why am I here?

This concept also extends to science, history, geography and almost any other field of research that man has tried to explain. We just need to look at the origins of some of the ancient myths and stories, that were once taken as true. These stories were once as credible as modern day physics is now. These stories were FACT at their time. Lets take dragons for example. Every culture in the world has some sort of folk story about a fearsome reptilian flying beast, with huge teeth and claws. There's chinese dragons, welsh dragons, russian dragons...they were everywhere. But why? Because one day, people were digging or walking down the beach, thousands of years ago, when they came across something so hideous, so illogical and scary that they just had to make up a theory to explain it. What they found, were dinosaur bones. Something they couldnt explain. So human nature dictates that we must make up a story to reassure our ego that we do in fact understand everything. History is littered with such examples:
What shape is the earth? - "well it looks flat to me"
Why has this baby got 6 fingers? - "the mothers a witch"
Why is that star moving? - "Because our god is trying to tell us something"
What is thunder? - "It is god being angry"

Yes this sounds silly to us now, but at the time, this was their science, this was their explanation for life. Since then we have found out more, we have fine tuned our sciences to offer more satisfactory explanations and now we believe we have an answer for everything. But, so did they. You only need to look at these ATS boards to see the amount of ridiculous ego building theories to see my point. People cant admit to not understanding. What makes you believe we have hit the nail on the head and explained everything. I guarantee that in 200 years time, people will be looking back at us now, having a giggle about how we believed in the "big bang" or "E=MC2". I see ATS members, swearing about the existance of shadow people, spirits, grays, the NWO and even the government 9/11 conspiracy, but the fact of the matter is, no matter how strong your belief on any of the above subjects is: You just dont know. Your belief is a theory to satisfy your mind. The mind which just cant say, "I dont understand".

So next time you come across a puzzle or an unexplained event. Look at it, research it and analyse it and once you have drawn up a list of possibilities, dont forget to add another one to that list: The "I just dont know" outcome. Sometimes denying ignorance, is to simply admit to your inability to answer a question.

I like to follow the mysterious and paranormal, the UFOs we see in the sky and the shady government conspiracies but before I shout out and tell the world its true, that there is in fact a ghost in my house, or an alien in the sky, I just shrug my shoulders, have a think, sober up and admit that I havent a clue what is going on and like it or not, neither do you.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I dont understand

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

You dont understand the point I am making? Or was that a general statement to defy the egos inability to admit it?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I am pretty sure that scientists in the future would be at awe at how we discovered things through such primitive means, just as we are in awe of how electromagnetism was studied before many discoveries in math that simplified it. At least I feel awed by how physics progressed and was studied before vector notation. But that's just me.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
We do not have to understand because we are told official stories.
This lets us live without bothersome details.

In science they give us the standard model.
As the elite make money off the non standard model
or suppress the encroachment upon their discoveries.

top topics

join