It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This experiment is more important than anything happening at the LHC

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
What's going on at the LHC is important but what's happening at Fermilab is earth shattering. Craig Hogan and his team has designed what they call a Holometer. The Holometer is designed to search for holographic noise which will tell us if the 3 dimensional world we see is just a holgram of a 2 dimensional reality. This is earth shattering to say the least. If Hogan and his team confirm that the universe is a Hologram, it will be a whole new ball game. Here's some of the article:

Researchers at Fermilab are building a “holometer” so they can disprove everything you thought you knew about the universe. More specifically, they are trying to either prove or disprove the somewhat mind-bending notion that the third dimension doesn’t exist at all, and that the 3-D universe we think we live in is nothing more than a hologram. To do so, they are building the most precise clock ever created.

The universe-as-hologram theory is predicated on the idea that spacetime is not perfectly smooth, but becomes discrete and pixelated as you zoom in further and further, like a low-res digital image. This idea isn’t novel; recent experiments in black-hole physics have offered evidence that this may be the case, and prominent physicists have proposed similar ideas. Under this theory, the universe actually exists in two dimensions and the third is an illusion produced by the intertwining of time and depth. But the false third dimension can’t be perceived as such, because nothing travels faster than light, so instruments can’t find its limits.

www.popsci.com...

This is truly fascinating. Just imagine what it will mean to find out we're living in a holographic universe. I believe this to be the case but most of the world sees the universe as being real. If this is confirmed, it will take years for it to be accepted. People will not be able to grasp that the universe is Maya or an illusion.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
What if it's not even 2 dimensional? Or 1?

What if it's zero dimensional? And we are all inside the singularity? Like the big bang never happened yet...

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Your thread title is pretty epic!

But alas this is just a single experiment where there are scores and scores of planned experiments with the LHC.

To me this is just a way of re-defining reality on a scientific level. Reality and the Universe is still a personal experience and always will be.

The only thing we know is that we know nothing - Socrates

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
What a bunch of crap science...put your hand on your keyboard...then slide it down to your desk...feel the drop? that's 3 dimensions my friends.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Link seems to be dead on my end.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
What a bunch of crap science...put your hand on your keyboard...then slide it down to your desk...feel the drop? that's 3 dimensions my friends.

I did something similar in a dream last night so does that make my dreams a 3D reality too
Its all too complicated for me

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

Nice find... So essentially what they are saying is space-time is the third dimension, as its not observable. Kind of makes you wonder what the heck is going on.

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode Treehouse of Horror where Homer steps into the 3D world.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

It's kind of like saying your hand or the keyboard is solid though. It's all relative. However, both your hand and the keyboard are mostly empty space (i.e. all the space between the atoms and molecules etc. that make up both.)

Just that the relative densities give the appearance of solidity.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Nice find OP!

If this turns out to be provable it would imply that the Universe we live in was indeed created by something and not just a random happening by chance..
edit on 22-10-2010 by etshrtslr because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Haha way to miss the point completely.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of "illusion", friend. Look up some debates on Real World Skepticism -- Read Berkley's "Three Dialogues" -- consider Plato's Allegory of the Cave -- or if you're too lazy to do that, think about whether it's possible that we live in the Matrix or not. Then flip these things to apply to different topics, like the possibility that the third dimension is an illusion derived from time interacting with two dimensions.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I don't understand this

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I don't get it. What is a hologram, in that sense? Does it even matter or is it just a fancy metaphor?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
"Holographic" doesn't seem like the correct term to describe the idea they have.

A Hologram is an "image" of a 3D object, stored in a 2-D medium. So, are they arguing that our universe is just an "image" of some other universe? This seems completely stupid, up front. But then again, maybe that's because I'm too stupid to understand.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by etshrtslr

If this turns out to be provable it would imply that the Universe we live in was indeed created by something and not just a random happening by chance..
edit on 22-10-2010 by etshrtslr because: (no reason given)

Even if they prove our Universe is holographic in the sense that it's only 2D, not 3D, that doesn't mean it was created by something. It would just change our understanding of how the Universe's framework.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I read up on this at POPSCI the other day. Very interesting.

I had never heard of the world being artificial and made of pixels before...I guess we will all see soon enough if we are The Sims or not, eh?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

So with this discovery we get to change our history:

In the beginning, there was visual basic....

In the middle, was Tron...

In the end, there was a blue screen...

Joking aside, I am a bit out of my element here. Would this change anything in the realm of Quantum Mechanics? Is there a way to utilize that to confirm this theory?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

How are they going to know there little doo-dad is working right? I'm sure if I have some tin-foil, tissue boxes, and some metal coat hangers I could rig something up to "prove" that the whole universe is inside a talking turd's gym sock. Point is, I wouldn't expect that many are going to believe ONE "clock". I have three I can see from my seat and I still doubt everyone of them.....

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If we are holograms then let me be the first to say

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Could it be that we only "see" in 2 dimensions and the "3rd dimension" is the result of looking at something that is 2 dimensional but is looked at from a different perspective/angle since we can't actually "see" the depth of something without measuring it first?

These kinds of topics are confusing as hell but I never miss a chance to contemplate on them!

I love science!!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join