It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fema encourages Americans prepare for cold winter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
www.ready.gov...

I just noticed this.

We have a pellet stove which burns pellets that look sort of like rabbit food, but are made of wood. It runs on electricity but can be ran off of a battery too. I know we can get a huge bag of pellets for just a few bucks.
It is a good idea to have one.

It has been very dry here, so I don't know if I will worry about ice or snow. We are under a drought as it is now. I usually watch animals to see what it is going to do. Usually before it gets very cold the squirrels go crazy. I remember one year when there was an ice storm. Days before the storm the squirrels were chattering like crazy and I watched as they climbed to the end of branches to get the last of the pecans or acorns. They had built their nests very thick. Yesterday we got a little rain, just a few minutes worth, and I saw more robins than I have ever seen in my life in my yard trying to get at the worms in the ground. I think it is about to get very cold, but the animals here seem to be suffering from lack of water more than anything else.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
good info,,, but common sense

and it isn't pointing to exactly this year,,, just winter in general

quote,,,,,,,,,,,,"nearly all Americans, regardless of where they live, are likely to face some type of severe winter weather at some point in their lives"

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

Going by how cold it was last winter it makes sense to warn people now to make preparations for a colder winter, always good to be prepared for abnormal weather. nothing wrong in that..

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Cold weather doesn't bother me at all. I don’t like it but I can survive it. For my boots i use the Baffin Apex. They are good to neg148 degrees. My feet will never get cold.
I have a 2 piece gortex hunting suit that kept me warm when we were deployed to Norway and I was sweating the entire time.
For my house I have a cheapy little back up wood burning stove that I bought from tractor supply company. It’s not very efficient but I live next to a large forest. Wood is not in short supply.
Its hard finding good gloves but I think I have some good ones. They are the elbow length ones from Ice Armor and they are awesome.
We also keep a 6 month food supply in the basement that we rotate through the regular groceries just in case we get snowed in.
I live in Nebraska and winter here isn't that bad but it can get cold. Oh yah I forgot the best part. I just bought a new Jeep Wrangler so now I'll be able to drive anywhere in the snow.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

the link only tells people to be prepared for cold winters.

it is not making an specific references to this winter being colder than others.

While the danger from winter weather varies across the country, nearly all Americans, regardless of where they live, are likely to face some type of severe winter weather at some point in their lives. That could mean snow or subfreezing temperatures, as well as strong winds or even ice or heavy rain storms. One of the primary concerns is the winter weather's ability to knock out heat, power and communications services to your home or office, sometimes for days at a time. The National Weather Service refers to winter storms as the “Deceptive Killers” because most deaths are indirectly related to the storm. Instead, people die in traffic accidents on icy roads and of hypothermia from prolonged exposure to cold. It is important to be prepared for winter weather before it strikes.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessieg
www.ready.gov...

I just noticed this.

We have a pellet stove which burns pellets that look sort of like rabbit food, but are made of wood. It runs on electricity but can be ran off of a battery too. I know we can get a huge bag of pellets for just a few bucks.
It is a good idea to have one.

Me and the gf use exactly the same stuff as kitty litter it's about 100% cheaper then the commercial stuff, works just the same and makes the litter box pine fresh all of the time, plus you can still burn it afterwards if you are desperate

There are similar bad winter warnings in the UK too
edit on 23-10-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

I myself have been throwing the option of getting a new woodburner back and forth throughout my head lately. Mine is an antique probably 40yrs old but still works great, and has the flat top for cooking on which is a plus. It keeps my 1500 sq ft house toasty. As I know the newer stoves are more efficient and the pellet stoves no hassles with splitting wood just the need for electricity to turn the auger bothers me, and run the blower. As being an owner of a pellet stove have you had an issue with power outage yet?

new topics

top topics

join