It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Traveller Caught on 1928 Charlie Chaplin Film?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
If time travel was possible and they went back in time, Im pretty sure..no in fact positive cell towers wouldn’t be needed. That is a terrible argument folks, just think about it for a few mins.
If you saw me driving a navigator in 1895 would you be asking where am I getting the gas from??????? Sounds like you would be, but in reality, it would be running off of something simpler…..Like water!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I am sure I won't be the first or the only to point this out, but what tower would she/he be using for that phone call? ANYONE???? Yeah cause there were none back then. Unless it was a test device and a tower was built in the 20s secretly?
edit on 21-10-2010 by ldyserenity because: I have retarded fingers that don't do what my brain says!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Sorry guys but she is not a time traveler

A time traveler would not be an old woman wearing a drag and looking like Churchill's grandmother, unless time travelling somehow aged her.

A time traveler would be fit, that's just my opinion
you don't send an someone who looks like the old hag(google sleep paralysis old hag) on a mission in the past, you send Jet li or Tony Jaa

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
A walkie talkie perhaps? Those were around back then,right?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sippy Cup
If time travel was possible and they went back in time, Im pretty sure..no in fact positive cell towers wouldn’t be needed. That is a terrible argument folks, just think about it for a few mins.
If you saw me driving a navigator in 1895 would you be asking where am I getting the gas from??????? Sounds like you would be, but in reality, it would be running off of something simpler…..Like water!

This seems to me to be counter intuitive...

To suggest that all belief must be suspended based upon an even more unlikely example than the one offered here?

But, hey, if you come across any footage of a Lincoln Navigator in 1895 I promise I will eat my words, along with humble pie.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Well I must say this has been one of the best threads I have read in the past year I reckon. It was that good and had very good input that was not derisive of the OP or cynical. But every single post has been constructive in finding a suitable alternative explanation for this most bizarre and seemingly out of time sequence that I have myself concluded. That the only reasonable explanation is a hearing device being used by an eccentric rich lady in 1928.
Though I would indeed like to hear from anyone who can really actually lip read etc. I know someone posted that there Deaf friend reckoned they were saying, "Hello, can you hear me now?" But not sure if they were joking yeah?
Good work fellow ATSers

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I wish I could find it.

Someone posted a pic a good while back of several men standing on a sidewalk in front of a house in suits.

One seems to have "something" to his ear.

I didnt put much to it but it was curious.

Anyone have that pic available?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I believe it is just a shy woman perhaps covering a big (if not huge) mole on the side of her face that just realized she was going to be filmed....

Just my opinion...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Looks to me as if it was the only outfit he had to put on, perhaps he was not alone in this time frame? Was he talking to another person in the same year who was also there as a time traveler? I think so, but how would you transmit a cell phone without towers? I dont know, this is really really good stuff. Does our technology have the ability to transmit without cell towers?
edit on 21-10-2010 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dogmire

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Now we do all know that the silent movies were all about exagerated movements and parodies.

Further that this was a Hollywood film set.

I think ATS needs to get out more!

Once more;
this is not a Hollywood movie set. Geesh...... It is the Hollywood premier for a Charlie Chaplin movie AT Mann's Chinese Theatre.

Laugh out loud you mean a STAGED event of mainly HOLLYWOOD INSIDERS invited to opening night because all the press, agents, and studio moguls, and big name celebrities will be there.

I think if you better understood how Hollywood functions as a commercial enterprise, you would understand that what you imagine you might be witnessing is anything from a publicity stunt to some would be actress trying to impress a casting agent with an impromptu performance.

As someone who used to dine frequently with Gary Sharaff, Arron's Spelling's cheif casting agent, I can tell you there is no shortage of people in Hollywood, looking to impress a casting agent where ever they might encounter one with a impromptue skit.

Trust me when I say I have suffered through way to many of them while otherwise enjoying his company.

Hollywood is a world of make believe and in it's Golden Years this was even more so.

Forget the fact that a Cellular Phone would not work without Cellular Towers so let's pretend she is a space alien talking on her communicator to the Starship Enterprise, do you really imagine everyone back on a space ship from a highly advanced civilization was waiting on pins and needles to hear that their crew member made it to a Charilie Chaplin Silent Movie Premier alright.

Everytime one of these "Time Traveler Picture" threads come up, it's typically a lot of posters who aren't very familiar with the popular culture of the day, and place that the picture was taken in.

While we can't Time Travel we can read history books, and Hollywood's History and that of the Entertainment industry is a fascinating one.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

1) Someone needs to ticket that lady for having ridiculous feet for how tall she is... those must be - what - size 20 shoes?
2) No cell phone towers in 1920s. Sorry, the only people she's talking to are around her or in her head.
3) She appears to be scratching her head (watch her index and middle finger very, very closely towards the end).
4) For the shoes she's wearing (perhaps for comical effect or to hinder her ability to move around properly, or both, or some other reason), I wouldn't be overly surprised to have other oddities about her - like prolonged scratching of the side of the head. Maybe she was someone famous but trying to hide her identity?
5) Her hat... pulled down to the top of the nose. Is that really necessary?
6) A horse painted to look like a zebra? Why not just use a zebra?
7) What's up with the guy (before her) being obsessed with his pockets? First in the pants, and then to the shirt!

Just odd behavior all around. So to see some lady walk around talking to herself (maybe it's something they did back then because there was no sound) scratching her head for far too long, doesn't scream "she's on a cell phone" to me. Heck, my grandmother used to get confused walking around in the store and would open and close her mouth when she started looking around...

This is a case of people associating modern day behaviors to something in a 90 year old film. If we had skipped over cell phones and went straight to blu-tooth, nobody would recognize this posture.

To be honest, I don't see anything in her hand. I see very, very dark shadows.

And besides, time travel is impossible.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

No.. you're not the first one to point it out. Not even close. It's been mentioned on every page, sometimes several times per page. Why not read what everyone else is saying before replying? Besides, it's a weak argument, as stated above. I doubt a people with the technology to travel through time would need Cell towers to communicate, somehow.

I'm sure this is nothing, just a peculiar person doing something strange.. but if I was partial to a flight of fancy, I like the theory mentioned earlier about a time traveller intentionally placing themselves in the shot and appearing to speak on a phone just to mess with the heads of a future generation, i.e. us. Highly unlikely of course, but my favorite daft theory

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I have a theory.

I think the 'object' is an illusion caused by either a shadow or her hair.

I think she could simply be trying to remember something and has put her hands to her temple as people are wont to do when they are thinking.

When she turns towards the camera at the end it looks like she has remembered what ever it is she had forgotten. Her smile is due to the flash of recognition as the thought pops into her head.

Who's she talking to? Herself ,as she goes through the possibilities. When she remembers, she stops and says 'Yes!' Watch her lips.

Also just before the film fades her fingers seem to contract, suggesting she is not in fact holding anything. I think she may actually be about to make a subtle closed fist, 'gotcha' type action as well.

Watch the the clip again and imagine she's trying to remember someone's name. I think her body language is entirely appropriate with this scenario.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Cold day, wind blows, must protect that exposed ear.

Still, who knows really? interesting nonetheless.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I believe it is likely an ear trumpet she is holding to her ear. It was the hearing aid of the 19-20th century. www.dlib.org...

The one in the picture provided below is from the 1800s.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e917f91f0366.jpg[/atsimg]

Did this movie even have sound back then? It wasn't as important for actors to sound the role just as they needed to look the role. This lady could be talking to offscene crew but since theres no sound...

That, or she is using her timetravelling spacecraft to enable her cellphone

edit on 21-10-2010 by star in a jar because: new info, mistakes

edit on 21-10-2010 by star in a jar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
What are some of you smoking?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Does anyone have any information about the company that restored this old 1928 movie to dvd? I think it may be possible that the restoration company recreated a couple of scenes due to the deterioration over the years and accidentally left in a scene with an extra talking on his phone.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
How about this. Why couldn't there be a cell phone he/she is talking on? lets look at it this way, if she/he was a time traveler depending on what time she/he came from there may have been the technology for he/she to use a cell phone. Remember we are basing the cell phone and towers on what we know right now, but we don't know what technology is being used in the future. So I don't know what we are seeing but it could be some type of technology that we have no idea what it is. It could happen.

Technology would be way ahead of our technology of today. I would think technology to travel time is way ahead of anything we know at the moment. This is just my thoughts on this.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
reply to post by sum1one

LOL BAM! INteresting year of inception for Motorolla....1928!!!!
Did they find a phone? Took em a while to work it out? Lmao
OK its kooky the 1928 coincidence, thanks sum for the info

Nothing like that.

The project they brought out was a battery eliminator, a device powered by an electrical source other than a battery, which then converts the source to a suitable DC voltage that may be used by a second device designed to be powered by batteries.

They were used for radio receivers, but a transistor radio, a portable radio receiver, wasn't in development until 1945...

I'm actually quite stumped at what that person is holding...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
From the shadows cast, I would say that she is blocking the sun out of her left eye.

If it were a cellphone who would she be talking to? Where's the infrastructure?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join