It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coffee and Tea Intake and Risk of Brain Tumors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Coffee and tea intake and risk of brain tumors in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) cohort study

Background: In a recent US cohort study, total coffee and tea consumption was inversely associated with risk of glioma, and experimental studies showed that caffeine can slow the invasive growth of glioblastoma.

Objective: The objective was to examine the relation between coffee and tea intake and the risk of glioma and meningioma in a large European cohort study, the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC).

Design: Data on coffee and tea intake were collected from men and women recruited into the EPIC cohort study. Over an average of 8.5 y of follow-up, 343 cases of glioma and 245 cases of meningioma were newly diagnosed in 9 countries. We used Cox proportional hazards models to examine the relation between coffee and tea and brain tumors.

Results: We observed no associations between coffee, tea, or combined coffee and tea consumption and risk of either type of brain tumor when using quantiles based on country-specific distributions of intake. However, a significant inverse association was observed for glioma risk among those consuming 100 mL coffee and tea per day compared with those consuming

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
NIce find!

I stick to tea. I drink premium loose leaf white and green teas at the house, along with some herbal teas as well. Outside of the house it's usually bricked unsweetened black tea, but still it's better than any of the hfcs products out there. Probably average 4-6 cups a day. Coffee always gave me the jitters, so I stay away from it. If there's no tea in sight and only coffee, I may take about 2-3 ounces of some java, but any more and there starts to be noticeable anxiety that shows up.

Oh wow, I just found this gem as well when looking at the wiki for glioma:

THC Investigators at Madrid's Complutense University, School of Biology, first reported that delta-9 THC induced apoptosis (programmed cell death) in glioma cells in culture.[8] Investigators followed up their initial findings, reporting that the administration of both THC and the synthetic cannabinoid agonist WIN 55,212-2 "induced a considerable regression of malignant gliomas" in animals.[9] Researchers again confirmed cannabinoids' ability to inhibit tumor growth in animals in 2003.[10] Most Recently investigators at the University of California, Pacific Medical Center reported that cannabinoids possess synergistic anti-cancer properties — finding that the administration of a combination of the plant's constituents is superior to the administration of isolated compounds alone.[11] Consequently, many experts now believe that cannabinoids "may represent a new class of anticancer drugs that retard cancer growth, inhibit angiogenesis and the metastic spreading of cancer cells."[12] and have recommended that at least one cannabinoid, cannabidiol, now be utilized in cancer therapy.[13][citation needed] However, it has been shown that human U373MG glioma cells are sensitive only to very high concentrations of cannabinoids and do not induce glioma cell death at doses that could be used safely in humans.[14] Studies indicate that the use of cannabinoids, in conjunction with conventional anti-cancer therapies, can enhance the effectiveness of standard cancer treatments.

WIKI: Glioma

edit on 21-10-2010 by unityemissions because: add the wiki link & quote

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I'll have tea if I need a hot drink in the evenings. I usually drink coffee 'til lunchtime, then pick it back up about an hour or two after I eat until I get off. I'll have coffee before workouts, too. It really increases my focus....a lot.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
fulltext pdf

Coffee and tea intake and risk of brain tumors in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) cohort study

on mechanisms of action

Coffee and tea both contain caffeine and many other compounds, some of which have antioxidant properties. In fact, coffee has a greater total antioxidant capacity (ie, cumulative capacity of food components to scavenge free radicals) than any given fruit or vegetable (16). Given that we did not observe an association between coffee and tea consumption and meningioma risk, it is possible that the effect of coffee, if causal, is acting late in the process of carcinogenesis by preventing tumor growth. A recent study showed that caffeine can slow the invasive growth of glioblastoma in various in vitro assays by inhibiting inositol 1,4,5 triphosphate receptor subtype 3–mediated calcium release (17). Another potential mechanism that might be implicated involves the DNA repair protein O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase (MGMT). The coffee components kahweol and cafestol have been reported to increase MGMT activity in rat liver (18). Similarly, the tea component polyphenol (–)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate reactivates methylation-silenced genes, including MGMT, in cancer cell lines (19). The higher activation state of MGMT is thought to have a protective effect against the development of several cancer types, including colon cancer (20) and glioma (21). Furthermore, the MGMT genetic polymorphism has been associated with glioma risk (22).

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Yes but make sure you do not use that,
nutrasweet as a replacement for sugar.
I waited 20 years to use that stuff and as soon as I did they said may cause brain tumor, as soon as I I heard this I got on my cellphone and called my doctor to see if I were at risk.
It took hours and hours to thru to my doctors on my cell phone, but that was due to him trying to get thru to his stock broker about some investment he had made that had dropped suddenly.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

Well, I don't put anything in my coffee. I like my coffee like I like my women....straight and black.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex
It took hours and hours to thru to my doctors on my cell phone,

Oh, not good. That's probably a tumor, right there.

Too little caffeine, brain tumor. Too much, kidney stones. Didn't some guy just use caffeine as an alibi for killing his girlfriend?

Whatever you do, worrying about it will probably cause more problems than the act itself. Drink up. We're all marching slowly (if we're lucky) to the grave, anyway.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

DevolutionEvolvd.....

You might also find this interesting:

More Evidence That Coffee is Good For You

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

It seems like every week another study is published showing how benefitial coffee is.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
reply to post by googolplex

Well, I don't put anything in my coffee. I like my coffee like I like my women....straight and black.

My doctor recently told me to give up coffee. We then had a strong and forcefull conversation about why this would not happen. This a great find tho S&F! Its very interesting what they think reduces risks.

new topics

top topics

join