It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people like to undermine Americans, and group them all together?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Usually when I get home, I check out RT[russiatoday] & check out their videos.
It could be a video about literally nothing to do with America, and Americans get bashed, and people say we're scared to march.

People believe Americans are scared to protest, and always keep quiet.
Do people on here honestly believe that?
People on the outside looking in, typically believe all Americans are all the same war-mongering retards.

I know several people who would flea this country if need be, what's up with all the US hate?
edit on 21-10-2010 by DuceizBack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DuceizBack

Yep!

second line cos i'll get slapped if i don't.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

????? *scratches chin*

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Additional.

Americans have a great loyalty to your country and flag.

Unfortunately you seem to equate your government to your country and flag.

Somehow you have forgotten to separate the Government from YOUR country.

And now you have a misguided loyalty.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It's the exact same reason why people think that Muslims don't protest terrorism. They see a small group of people and think they represent the larger group. To be honest, I think that Americans are less likely to protest than they were 30 years ago.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Additional 2.

I would like to add that i like America and Americans and Americana.

But only you can change your leadership.

What the world has always wanted and admired in the USA is the Declaration and the Bill of Rights.
That is the American that lives within every freedom loving human.

Now you are about to lose that which the rest of the world hoped you would bring to them.
edit on 21-10-2010 by Cosmic4life because: Added extra sentences.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Nevermind,
I digress, apologies...

Perhaps grouping and generalizing are just convenient ways of understanding?
Seems to be part of human nature...

spec

People believe Americans are scared to protest, and always keep quiet.
Do people on here honestly believe that?

ETA: Upon further thought, there is some truth to this statement and I can think of some reasons why we are not hitting the streets in numbers.
1)So many are slaves to debt and distracted with consumptive nuances that they don't have/make the time to get involved.
2)We have this mentality of "there's nothing you can do to win over money and/or govmnt."
3) Our Patriot Act could get us locked up as "T" for casting any type of anti-american(as it is sometimes called when we question our PTB
) inquiry to truth
4)People are uncomfortable with truth, for it only adds weight to their burden of suffering and making ends meet while the rug is being pulled from under them, particularly the middle class.
5) Then there is Fluoride, pharmies and food additives to numb our understanding and dampen any incentive to get involved or question what is happening.

I am mentioning these things not as excuses, but as an attempt to give some reasons to the question posed.

spec
edit on 21-10-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Unfortunately, that's the nature of stereotypes.

A quick look at this very site is indicative of this problem. Look at the way that immigrants are portrayed. The same could be said for any number of groups, be it Muslims, feminists, homosexuals, religious fanatics, left-wingers, neo-cons, patriots, etc.

Once we start classifying ourselves into groups with overly large brush strokes, this is what occurs.

Now take a moment for a bit of introspection and ask yourself this:
"Am I guilty of vilifying any kind of stereotype?"

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well said.
I have always found that "reasoning" as being pathetic beyond words, and it really just shows that the people that lumps them all together just want a convenient scapegoat to blame for all the troubles in the life.

For the record, I really don't trust Politicians very much at all, but the people blaming Americans for all the evil in the World are usually also the same people that blames the Gouvernment for Depopulationtactics if they get a punctured tire.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Your leadership has overseen the virtual destruction of the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence.

Are you at the whitehouse demonstrating?? no your not.

This is not the American stereotype...quite the reverse.

Nobody is stereotyping the Americans...we are all wondering why you are not doing anything...which is actually against your stereotype.

According to the script that we got outside of the USA you should be knocking the doors down.
Our stereotype of an American is some-one who values your freedoms.
And who is willing to fight for it.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Sorry to be the first to apply Godwin's Law here, but people see you trampling all over the Middle East for corporate interest, in direct defiance of the United Nations' orders, and they relate it to one thing: WWII. The people will not speak up against the injustices caused by the government because they are too "patriotic". I'm sorry to break it to you, but America is no longer the United States of America, it's mid-century Germany. The difference is, you've already taken Poland, and nobody can do anything about it. I moved to Canada a long time ago, and for a reason. I will not become a casualty for these corrupted terrorists known as the American Military, and government
edit on 21-10-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Ah, but it all comes down to a matter of perspective. One segment will view Americans as money-grubbing capitalists hellbent on depleting the world's resources. Another segment will view us as the ultimate evil intent upon policing the world. And the list goes on.

That's the problem with stereotypes, especially negative ones. The fallacy, of course, is that it is impossible to pigeon-hole any one group with a specific stereotype and not come across looking naive. Take Americans, for instance. As a whole, we are nearly impossible to definitively stereotype, as there is way too much diversity inherent within our culture. Further more, our nation is a built upon a mix of multiple cultures. I'd wager the same could be said for most societies, if we were to look closely enough.

But I digress. The point is that people tend to fall back on stereotypes as a sort of crutch. It's easier to blame or mock a stereotype, than it is to delve into the true roots of whatever the underlying issue happens to be at the moment.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

I don't know what world you live in, but the world i live in has 900 American bases all over it.

The world i live in has been an American Empire since 1945.

The world i live in has the Dollar as it's exchange currency.

You have a bad case of The Belief Disconfirmation Paradigm.

The world is on the edge of a precipice because of the self destruction of the American Empire.

Why is it that when your government is criticized or that you the American people are criticized for not restraining your government, you start this whining that the world hates you and just stereotypes you? are you not just stereotyping the rest of the world?

Avoiding the mirror?

Like it or not, what happens in America, especially in regards to the financial system, is going to have a huge effect on the rest of us too, we are part of your Empire, therefore we have the right to tell you the American public that it's time to kick some butt for crying out loud!

But no, you just go back to your burgers and fries and pretend to yourself that the world has got it all wrong.
You can't unite because your all different...pffffffffft..WTF???

Truth be told your scared of your government.
That is what unites you.
That is the group you are all together in.
That is the group we are criticizing.
edit on 21-10-2010 by Cosmic4life because: spelling

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Yes, but that has to do with America, not Americans. Many Americans do try to make change and millions protest their military's presence around the world. The government and military are choosing to do these things, not the people. No matter what the people do, the government does whatever it wants to do.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Americans aren't scared to march in protest.

They're too LAZY to march in protest.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Then the Founding Fathers must be weeping in their graves for all is lost.

All is lost, the once great American Individual is now reduced to a simpering whiner on the edges of a land that was once his to determine.

Stolen from you while you slept in comfort.

But there is still hope..the hour is yet to be midnight, and if you do let it go you cannot claim ignorance.

Only apathy and ineptitude.

You were our hope, if the people of the land of the free could not overcome, then we must defend our own forts as best we can and leave you to your fate.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I'm not American. But I do understand what you are saying and I completely agree. I used to be rabidly anti-American. I still am, but I direct my hatred at the government and the way that the country has been hijacked over the last 80 years.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

I do not hate the American people, i am angry with the American people.

The Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights are the national treasures of America.

They are two of the greatest documents ever written by the hand of man.

They are two shining beacons which lit the world and gave every human being the example of what is possible to achieve in a world ravaged by one tyranny after another,

I am angry and i am grieving for an ideal that may be lost for thousands of years to come.

I am angry that most Americans(not all) took it for granted.

I am in the UK, actually in Plymouth where it all began, my ancestry is intertwined with America going all the way back to pilgrims and then later very much involved in the push for independence.

And yet i seem to know more of what it means and value it more than those who reside there now.

How can that be?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
As with everything that has to do with stereotyping people and where current views originate, if you want an answer watch the media.
How has Hollywood constructed America to the rest of the world?
Dichotomies of consumption either way.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

Yes, but that has to do with America, not Americans. Many Americans do try to make change and millions protest their military's presence around the world. The government and military are choosing to do these things, not the people. No matter what the people do, the government does whatever it wants to do.

Oh, is that the democracy that most American citizens tout all over the world and uphold a superiority complex as if their country is perfect? Is that the democracy that we're militantly forcing other countries to accept?

Most Americans will argue that there is justice in America's activity in the Middle East over the past few decades, is this your example of American citizens trying their hardest to fight against the terrorists than run the White House?

I wonder why they hate us...

..I am sorry, I am a proud American, but what America represents now is NOT American, it is corporate control. How does the public respond? By voting for the same 2 parties time after time so that they continue to make the same mistakes and drive the normal people that once inhabited the country into insanity to procure their agenda for wealth. Americans allow themselves to be brainwashed even though the information they need has always been directly in front of them, but they think it is as simple as red or blue.

Asking why people hate Americans is like asking why people hate Nazis. Did they make the decisions? Did they come up with the orders? No, but they carried them out and touted themselves as heroes for it, when in reality they are global criminals.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join