It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC's Nick Robinson stamps on protester's anti-war sign

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

The BBC's political editor calmly delivered his report on the Coalition's Comprehensive Spending Review as a placard bobbed behind his head.

However, video footage captured on a mobile phone shows what happened when the cameras stopped rolling. Mr Robinson can be seen wrenching the sign from the protester's hands and stamping on it, to shouts of: "Shame on you."

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 21-10-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: Why do links never work first time around?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What a nice man. Any need to stamp on it and destroy the sign?

No, no there wasn't. He's either making a statement or he's just a scumbag. What sort of a person stamps on and smashes up an anti-war protest placard? Maybe just take it off the protester and set it aside.

Was it because it ruined his precious airtime? I don't think so, I believe it was because that sign cut too close to a truth Nick Robinson is not ready to understand. You can hardly suggest the placard was not related to the material this 'journalist' was discussing.

This guy should be ashamed of himself, and his childish defensive retort when this suggestion is made to him, just shows what a pathetic excuse for a human he is. He is like a school kid being told off.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 21-10-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: To fix link yet again!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Here's the video for your consideration;

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I watched the report live and it was just a placard being held up, the person wasn't being disruptive at all.
edit on 21/10/2010 by BarmyBilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BarmyBilly

Sounds about right! After he ripped that one up there was another one to replace it like 2 seconds later. That's why I'm puzzled as to why he did it.

Seems like a fruitless career damaging move. I have no doubt his position at the BBC will not be in jeopardy, but he has put a big ole stinky stain on his public persona, that I for one will not forget.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
While it was completely an over reaction on the part of the reporter...the Monty Python nature of the sign poppin up and down prior to his turning around and noticing it was priceless.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I also watched the report...it was rather distracting and annoying and I would have done the same thing.

And I AGREE with the message on the board in general.

Do you take time to listen to every person who knocks at your door representing a charity?...bother to read every leaflet that comes through your door? or more likely throw it straight into the bin. You are ignoring their message too...he didn't do anything whilst the cameras were rolling, by the time he pulled the sign down the report was over and it was no longer having it's desired effect anyway.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Was it because it ruined his precious airtime? I don't think so, I believe it was because that sign cut too close to a truth Nick Robinson is not ready to understand.

I think it was most likely that he didn't like his report being disrupted.

I may be wrong, but I think that even if the placard behind him had read: ''Invade Iran now !'', then he would have still reacted the same way.

A lot of these news readers and reporters get ideas above their station, and often think of themselves as being important, and it is not uncommon to see a bit of a strop or a prima donna moment from them from time to time.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
the sign said "bring our troops home" "cut war not the poor"

the video gives of two vibes for me. 1. nick robinson does not like other peoples views, a bit concerning for a so called journalist/reporter.

2. he thinks the poor should be cut and that our troops should be left over sea's away from their families to die.

however i think it exposes the agenda, what was on that sign, he knew, went against the agenda he was trying to sell to the british public. proving to me they do not report truth but what they are told to report. some guy holds up a sign going against what he is told to report on live t.v. undermining what he is reporting, he loses his rag and stamps on anybodies right to have a different opinion.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Probably just having a bad day. Who knows whats going on in his life outside of work? Everybody has a limit and its always a good idea to stop and think before you taunt somebody, how close might they already be to their limit?

Particularly true of mild and meek people. Not everybody gives off obvious cues until the point they've lost it entirely (and its too late then).

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
In common law he broke the law in removing and breaking the sign. The evidence is there on video. Personally I would push it as far as it would go.

You can not do anything to cause anyone any harm....Common Law

You can not do anything to cause anyone any loss.....Common Law....Gotcha.

Respects

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Hypothetical question here...how many of you would continue a conversation and say nothing, if someone was standing behind you waving a sign and distracting the person you are talking to?

You may all claim you would ignore it, but in reality I don't think so.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

is'nt that just something they have to cope with? is'nt that just part of the job?

www.youtube.com...

there's always lots going of in the background, they only ever seem to be bothered if goes against the agenda or accepted beliefs.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Well Nick Robertson is a War Correspondent; his profession by trade is covering a war, that’s how he makes his living.

Now personally I think I would rather be covering Fashion Week in New York City or Hugh Heffner’s Birthday at the Playboy Mansion if I was a journalist.

Yet I don’t think those correspondents get paid as much as do those in War Zones and I don’t think those events cause as much of a rating spike to the Network Media as does a good old fashioned war.

It’s not just the military industrial complex and bankers that make lots of money off of war, but the media does too.

So I think it would be wise to always keep in mind that media always has a financial motive to promote war, and to help the governments sell them.

Nick was kind enough today to remind of us that!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I think he just got a bit pissy about the sign 'ruining' his little broadcast, probably having a bad day, I dont think it proves he's pro war or anything. A bit silly of him, no one ,especially a suppossedly unbiased newsreporter wants to have footage of them smashing up an anti war sign/banner for no reasonable reason spread around the internet. Pretty silly thing to do, it wont/shouldnt get him sacked but Im sure he's feeling a bit of a tit right now or maybe he thinks its a good thing our countries are getting off the hook in afghanistan, killing innocents and such for opium,lithium,pipelines and to strategically distabilise that part of the world more....etc, maybe thats his bag.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

Actually I have seen reporters turn around more than once and tell people to 'stop creating a nuisance' or words to that effect; or give sarcastic comments as part of their report about it.

Nick Robinson waited until after the report was over.

Isn't it part of common decency to not stand in view of someone elses camera when it is being used? I've seen large groups of people grasp that one quite easily...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

it was the sign he attacked, i did not hear him telling anyone off for getting in his way. if he had just leaned over the barrier and had words with the person to be more respectful, then i would agree, however he attacked the sign and broke it and said nothing to the person holding it.

that raises questions over what he had a problem with. i cannot help it that it looks like he had a problem with what the sign said rather than somebody getting in his shot.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
That I simply see as an all too human mis-reaction. Blame the sign the person was holding for the 'problem' rather than the person.

Around where I live, there is a big problem with young people riding mopeds like complete idiots... but everyone blames the mopeds, not the people riding them, harsh language is always aimed at the mopeds themselves.

I am not saying I think how he reacted was completely rational, fair or even legal. But I do feel it is a natural reaction and how many of us would react in reality. When a child swings a toy sword around widly, you don't just tell them to stop...you take the sword away, even though the toy sword itself isn't the problem.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Well, we can all be high and mighty about a reporter destroying a sign, but the person wielding the sign knew full well he was being an annoyong scroat and we don't know whether he had been asked not to. It was only a protest sign that would probably have ended up in the gutter anyway once everyone had got bored and headed off to the pubs.

Therefore, annoying protester got his just desserts.

"Shame on you" I hear you all cry

Regards

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

and its always a good idea to stop and think before you taunt somebody, how close might they already be to their limit?

This gave me a chuckle cheers!

Taunting him personally? Come on mate. I don't care what's happening in his personal life, at work he is a representative and an ambassador to the public for the BBC. He should have behaved more professionally. Is his son or daughter fighting overseas? Is his family poor? Do a little digging about Nick Robinson and you'll find your answer.

I am now going to post up videos of people actually taunting news reporters for comparisson. See if you can spot the difference.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join