It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the tea party a joke?I have questions and need answers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The tea party started out as a grassroots movement for the people by the people.(I hope thats right)
It is my understanding that people were sick of not being properly represented by their representatives and were banding together to get those who keep lying to them and getting nothing done for them out of office.

I felt a fresh breathe of air in the idea that people were fed up and didn't want to put up with it anymore.
For once it actually felt like change might actually happen and for the benefit of the people.

When the movement started getting bigger,the same representatives that people wanted gone started clinging on by jumping on board the movement trying to portray themselves as being for the people.
If not that,then it was just condemned as ridiculous.
When I say the same representatives...I mean those that do the old politics of voting for their party instead of voting for the sake of properly representing The American People.

When I say the same representatives I mean the Washington big wig types.
Gingrich,Palin etc. Every politician that used this as a good photo opportunity and good PR.
These are not grassroots movement type people and it amazes me anybody take these people seriously anymore.
Is it because they were on TV and people are starstruck??

So I really need to ask this.

1.With all the talking heads jumping on board...do you think the tea party has been infiltrated by the same entity that people wanted to be rid of?

2.If it has,then how can you expect change from the same people who are the problem??

3.Are these politicians honest about the Tea party movement or are they just using it to get elected or re-elected and pull the wool over your eyes??

I try not to follow politics as it enrages me most times so excuse my ignorance on this matter.

What are your thoughts??

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Very good questions. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens, but my "gut" feeling is it will be business as usual sorry to say

C.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
the tea party was doomed from the start they had no real power base, no real agenda other than lets take back DC that left the door open for failure, any one that said yes to that had the right to jump on board the band wagon, me i am doing the smart thing, not saying how i am voting for but i will say it is not the sitting member, not one from state local fed, get them all out, new faces is the only way to go, to be sure it is not buss. as usual, new faces say to all, "we have had it with the old way" time for a fresh start! if they have had one term in, that is one term to long, for they know how things are done; who too hob nob too, and what to say to the people to pull the wool over there eyes, i do not know about you but i am tired of the same old same old, it is time for us to wake up and say we have had it, what say you?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Yes the TP is for real. Its real strength will be in strong locals. I for one am disapointed that strong grass roots independent Patrick Henery types didnt come to the fore of the party. We do need folks at this point in our history that cant skin a cat. Not the same 2,4,6, with a new hat. If thats the case they can go # themselves.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

1.With all the talking heads jumping on board...do you think the tea party has been infiltrated by the same entity that people wanted to be rid of?

Any movement is going to have people 'riding the wave' - exactly how many and where they are is anyone's guess.

2.If it has,then how can you expect change from the same people who are the problem??

Hold our representatives accountable. The second amendment is there for a reason. Just remember - the Sword of Damocles is greatest when it hangs by the horse's hair. Don't just pass off all responsibility on to a representative. You have elected them to an office - you are not bound by any contract to allow them to stay there for the duration of their seat - that privilege can be revoked at any time.

3.Are these politicians honest about the Tea party movement or are they just using it to get elected or re-elected and pull the wool over your eyes??

Depends upon the individual, really.

When I say the same representatives I mean the Washington big wig types.
Gingrich,Palin etc. Every politician that used this as a good photo opportunity and good PR.
These are not grassroots movement type people and it amazes me anybody take these people seriously anymore.
Is it because they were on TV and people are starstruck??

Here's the deal:

The "big wigs" and "old hats" know where the skeletons are. On that principle, alone, an "anti-incumbency" movement is simply frivolous and ignorant. Many of these people have the connections forged over centuries of political pass-downs.

Everyone has to go back and look at their representatives and see how they have voted, and why. Ike Skelton, our district representative, has voted 'against' his party because he knew their idea was a bad one (and/or just a bad idea for those he represents). People in this area are free to agree or disagree with his decision - but how many have actually written their representative with their thoughts on a bill?

I've been able to talk to our representative face-to-face - he's not that hard of a guy to get a hold of - sure, he's got a schedule and is busy, but it's not like he's actively avoiding anyone.

Our representatives aren't telepathic or endowed with the Eye of Sauron or some government equivalent. And while they look at various polls out there, they also have to make a qualitative analysis of their own - they can't include your ideas and concerns unless you tell them.

By that same token - it doesn't help that Congress is writing legislation for the sake of writing legislation. It should be a fairly newsworthy event when Congress decides to make a law (seeing as it influences the entire country), and the budget is done yearly (so it shouldn't be that big of an issue, either). It's hard for the average person to stay informed simply because of the enormity of government.

I think a number of our representatives would prefer a simpler and smaller government. They are simply not sure how to fix the mess we are in (or agree upon what "fixing" really entails). And, in a large way, we've forced their hand. Every time we want something done, we look to the federal government to solve problems rather than our cities and states. In a way, we've demanded federal action over the past century or more, and that is what we've gotten.

We have "What would you do if you were President" cutsie-poos at school that put the idea in the minds of children early on that the President (and National government) is the one-stop-shop for solving problems. It's not any scheme for domination - it was just a childish notion that we allowed, as a society, to persist. Just look at Obama's campaign. Like the man and his policies, or not - the whole context of the campaign implied the President actually had the power to pass legislation - which is so horribly out of whack, it is not even funny. Even worse - people voted for him, expecting him to have this capability. Even now - while his polls are down, it doesn't mean people are upset with large government and excessive spending - many of the people who voted for him are upset that he hasn't turned us into Europe (more or less).

So, as much as I like to point the finger at government - we're the ones who allowed it to get out of control. We are the only ones who can get it back under control; and we start by getting ourselves back under control and correcting the errant ways we perceive the government (and thereby disproportionately grant implied powers in violation of checks and balances).

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Thank you for the well thought out and in depth answer.
You bring up alot of VERY good points.
Something that rang out to me was this comment.

Originally posted by Aim64C

Many of these people have the connections forged over centuries of political pass-downs.

I completely agree and thats what needs to change.
Where is the restart button?

but how many have actually written their representative with their thoughts on a bill?

Another very good point.
My opinion is alot of people see it as pointless really because I think many feel like they have never been represented properly so why bother?

By that same token - it doesn't help that Congress is writing legislation for the sake of writing legislation. It should be a fairly newsworthy event when Congress decides to make a law (seeing as it influences the entire country), and the budget is done yearly (so it shouldn't be that big of an issue, either). It's hard for the average person to stay informed simply because of the enormity of government.

Again,I couldn't agree more.
Government is too big and nobody really knows what they do unless it is on tv.
I will also reiterate my opinion that maybe alot of people think it is too difficult and therefore beyond them.

We have "What would you do if you were President" cutsie-poos at school that put the idea in the minds of children early on that the President (and National government) is the one-stop-shop for solving problems. It's not any scheme for domination - it was just a childish notion that we allowed, as a society, to persist. Just look at Obama's campaign. Like the man and his policies, or not - the whole context of the campaign implied the President actually had the power to pass legislation - which is so horribly out of whack, it is not even funny. Even worse - people voted for him, expecting him to have this capability.

The false faith in authority is the enemy of truth.
Albert Einstein.

Thank you for a great reply.

Again excuse my ignorance when talking politics.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I completely agree and thats what needs to change.
Where is the restart button?

Why should it change?

Or, more importantly, how do you change it?

Electing a bunch of novices to congress will cause it to lose face at best. Electing a bunch of people who have no idea how the game is played, who is playing it, or to what ends - there are a lot of hazards the old hats know to spot and point out to the newer people. It's one thing to elect several 'fresh' seats that have little political experience. It's another to do a massive clearing-house. You're thrusting people into positions where they will be bombarded by lobbyists and the expectations placed on previous congressional seats. Not to mention they will be facing a different kind of debate. It's not a debate where you win. No one wins in politics. You simply come to an agreement so things can work.

In the end - the problems will not be solved by voting in new or old members of congress. That will change as society does. Not to say it isn't important - but that you're not going to see what you're wanting to from getting rid of the incumbents.

My opinion is alot of people see it as pointless really because I think many feel like they have never been represented properly so why bother?

Then they will continue to experience the same problem regardless of who they vote for. You cannot expect to be represented by some other person if you do not represent yourself.

Government is too big and nobody really knows what they do unless it is on tv.
I will also reiterate my opinion that maybe alot of people think it is too difficult and therefore beyond them.

The last thing the people should ever do is give up. Again - this is only something we can change as a society. The moment someone says: "I give up, it's too complicated for me" is the moment they have forfeit their constitutional rights. Now - it's one thing to say: "I have difficulty understanding all of this" - that's fine. Not everyone has to be a political genius or believe they are one. But everyone has the right to understand the government and the laws going into effect so that they may be capable of evaluating those based upon one's views.

Again excuse my ignorance when talking politics.

There's a difference between ignorance and that which you do not know or are not experienced with. You're not ignorant to the issue. There's also a difference between being ignorant and asking a question or giving your opinion. You're not being ignorant.

And for that, I must thank you.

new topics

top topics

join