It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican army destroys 134 tons of marijuana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Reporting from Tijuana — Billowing clouds of marijuana smoke drifted over the hills as a pair of Mexican army soldiers pondered the consequences of the biggest dope seizure in Mexican history: About 134 tons of cannabis, or 334 million joints by military estimates, were going up in smoke.

"Think of all the people who won't be able to smoke this dope," Noe Lenin Rubio Torres said at the military's formal burning ceremony Wednesday. "Only the little angels in heaven are going to get stoned tonight," said fellow soldier Lucio Rangel.

Mexico's drug wars produce setbacks at a depressingly constant pace, but Monday's seizure of the enormous marijuana load stuffed inside six cargo containers provided the government a rare occasion to celebrate the sweet, burning scent of victory against organized crime.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: www.latimes.com...

Only the little angels in heaven and anyone downwind. I would think there would be a much more proper way to dispose of that much of the green stuff rather than burning it like that. Doesn't seem very environmentally safe to me.

But hey, that's the war on drugs for ya. I wonder, is this maybe a preemptive strike against the cartels for when California legalizes it? Maybe tactics are changing and some states don't want competition from south of the boarder.

What do you think, and a friendly reminder, please, no personal use talk.

edit on 10/21/2010 by whatukno because: Personal use, advocacy of legalization, and related non-conspiratorial topics are not allowed. Members posting about personal recreational use of drugs and related mind-altering substances may be banned without warning.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The military is on their payroll.. I guarantee that they only burned 15-20 tons (max), and shipping the rest over the boarder.. This is only a dog and pony show for the Mexican government to save face.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
0.4g per joint. On point!

That's one hell of an estimate to make if you don't smoke it yourself though

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Well I bet it would have much fewer negative effects on the environment if say, millions of people filtered it through their lungs.

War on drugs this, that and the other thing, just leave the pot out. To compare it with anything like coke, heroin, or meth, makes us all look like morons.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by monkeySEEmonkeyDO

I wouldn't doubt at all it's all smoke and mirrors (pun intended) and that most of the actual shipment went ahead as scheduled. That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I would guess the product was at LEAST 10-20 years old and was being stored by the government itself. It was probably of very low quality and had virtually no value , due to the US production of fresher , higher quality product. Not to mention the pesticides and fertilizer products that are liberally applied to mexican marijuana. Mexico finds itself in a quandry..its customers are no longer just happy to get something because of its difficulty to obtain. They have to either be competitive in all aspects of the trade or lose thier buisness. The US ever more liberal stance on marijuana is destroying a large part of overpopulated Mexicos economy.
If the US legalized drugs and cracked down on immigration..what would Mexico be? Alot worse than it is now Im guessing. And the US would have a larger problem....the smell eminating from south of the border.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
War on drugs this, that and the other thing, just leave the pot out. To compare it with anything like coke, heroin, or meth, makes us all look like morons.

I totally agree! They make weed illegal while allowing cancer sticks (cigarettes) and addictive drugs like caffeine and alcohol to be legal is just plain idiocy. Replace alcohol with the ganja and we'll never have another pub fight

As someone already pointed out, this is pure show. I don't believe anything with millions of £ / $ street value is ever destroyed, especially in Mexico.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Mexico's drug wars produce setbacks at a depressingly constant pace, but Monday's seizure of the enormous marijuana load stuffed inside six cargo containers provided the government a rare occasion to celebrate the sweet, burning scent of victory against organized crime.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What an ironic statement. The setback was actually perfectly good plants going up in smoke. And the organized crime syndicate is most certainly the Mexican government itself as much as the cartels are. Chalk one up for the bad guys.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
No personal use comments? ...well...that counts me out....

new topics

top topics

active topics

join